Trix01

You're still overweight, you know......

So yesterday I went to my gp for a non-band related issue (not the original gp who referred me for band, sadly she has left town) and we were discussingy health etc etc when he started typing and clicking on his computer......after I finished my rant (I have verbal diarrhoea sometimes) he says to me bluntly : "you're still overweight you know" apparently he had been calculating my bmi.....now I told him that I was happy with where I was at and probably not aiming to lose more (I've list 47kgs in 11 months and gone from size 22/24 to size 12, I'm also quite tall 173cm so people often think I'm slimmer) he seemed shocked that I didn't want to take it any further....Ive never been super skinny and my goal with the band was never to be a size 8, just be healthy and participate in life more!!

Has anyone else had this sort of reaction??? I also went to a chiropractor last week who told me that band just disguises the real problems and I should have it reversed immediately... Needless to say didn't book another appt!!!!

That's disgusting! Chiropractors are not doctors, and does he/she profess to be an expert in everything! And your doctor doesn't sounds great either. I would have not been a happy camper!

• Like 4

Good job on not going back to the chiro, and I wouldn't be going back to that GP either. BMI isnt the be-all and end-all either, and if you are at a weight you like, then that's your choice. And being 47kg lighter is certainly wonderful for your health, even if the charts say you are still 'overweight'.

Am I the only one who thinks he was just pointing out the 'reality' - according to whoever decides these things? I wouldn't take it to heart. I'd just say, 'yeah, whatever'.

As for the chiropractor.. well that's just plain rude and I would be gathering my dignity and taking my business elsewhere.

• Like 1

As we all know, there is a difference between being "over weight" and being "morbidly obese". If a size 12 is overweight, then i'd be happy to be overweight like that for the rest of my life. I'm currently a size 18-20 and would kill to be that size again. I'm much, much shorter than you, so I imagine that I would still be "overweight" at a size 8-10! I wouldnt worry too much about the doctor, he probably has your best interests at heart and no, it probably wouldnt hurt if you wanted to continue with the weight loss, but don't let that discount everything you've achieved so far. You've done SO WELL!

As the for the chiropractor, I'm not entirely sure why you would tell him, but even if you had, he is not a GP, a surgeon, or a psychologist for that matter. Had he said that to me, I would not have returned either, and would have told his receptionist why.

• Like 1

who are these people to judge size 12 and he says your over weight he must have rocks in his head

Overweight rocks when you've come from obese or morbidly obese!! It all relavent and by losing 60 percent of your excess weight you greatly reduce associated health risks.

Good on ou you've done well.

• Like 1

Did you tell the Doc: "Yes, I know ... Isn't it wonderful?!!!

Good on you for dropping nearly 50kg. That's amazing and I so hope that one day I will join you in being 'still' overweight.

Cheers and well done,

Vic

• Like 2

Your loss of 47kg is fantastic and I echo what everyone else has said.

Its just this thing with doctors sometimes - they focus on weight for EVERYTHING. I went in once to a Dr (not my regular GP) to get some antibiotics for conjunctivitis or something that was going on with my eye and got a dressing down over my weight and left in tears. Like my weight was to blame for that! Needless to say im pretty strict now about only going to my GP.

At your height how can a 22 BMI be overweight? I can't beleive it, I think this is where the BMI measurement falls down and becomes ridiculous!

Scarlet-A im with you, if i was told im overweight id be thrilled- beats morbidly obese ;) .

Seriously tho- Trix01 - maybe your doc was trying to encorage to another level ? anyways youve done real well,

and youve got every right to be proud of yourself :) .

I feel so lucky to have found a wonderful caring and understanding GP (it did take me a very long time to find her!). If you are not happy with our GP, keep looking for another. The right one is out there!

P.s Since when is a BMI of 22 "overweight"? Isn't 21 to 25 "healthy weight"? If you loose more weight next time you go he will probably be telling you your underweight!

So yesterday I went to my gp for a non-band related issue (not the original gp who referred me for band, sadly she has left town) and we were discussingy health etc etc when he started typing and clicking on his computer......after I finished my rant (I have verbal diarrhoea sometimes) he says to me bluntly : "you're still overweight you know" apparently he had been calculating my bmi.....now I told him that I was happy with where I was at and probably not aiming to lose more (I've list 47kgs in 11 months and gone from size 22/24 to size 12, I'm also quite tall 173cm so people often think I'm slimmer) he seemed shocked that I didn't want to take it any further....Ive never been super skinny and my goal with the band was never to be a size 8, just be healthy and participate in life more!!

Has anyone else had this sort of reaction??? I also went to a chiropractor last week who told me that band just disguises the real problems and I should have it reversed immediately... Needless to say didn't book another appt!!!!

You are BELOW your target weight! Well done. Tell those who should know better to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Get a more sympathetic GP. As for the chiro? Thats bordering on professional incompetence - you should report him to the registration board.

• Like 1

I'd be inclined to tell him to go fuck himself and look in the mirror.

Could you imagine being married to this person? or be one of their children? This health 'professional' sounds like they are a wet blanket no matter what...you could say "what lovely, sunny weather we are having at the moment"...they would ost likely to respond "only because of the hole in the ozone layer, which mens we are getting more UV rays and your chances of getting skin cancer are multiplied by 800 billion so it may look nice, but it'll kill you"

This person wouldn't know how to celebrate success if the winning lottery ticket jumped up and bit them on the arse! Would n't know how to say "well done, congratulations on your incredible 50 kg weight loss...you have now stopped (insert health problems here) in their tracks and have increased your life expectancy, but more so quality of life exponentially".

One of my biggest bug bears is a dr who is ignorant, arrogant and doesn't listen...especially to the overweight! I used to have a GP who wouldn't want to know anything about why I was there, he would only and ALWAYS tell me that I was grossly overweight and until I lost weight he wouldn't have any sympathy for me. He was the GP that was at my birth, he was at my sons birth, and was my family GP for nearly 25 years. I got a new dr...

Rant...over

• Like 2

There is nothign worse than a doctor who doesnt LISTEN to the patients. Before I fell pregnant I went to a GP to ask about Implanon as birth control, because I kept forgetting to take my pills (woopsie, hence the pregnancy). He just said, put them next to your toothbrush, you dont forget to brush in the morning. and that was the end of it. Doctors may have a lot of training, but I believe that most people know when something isnt right, or isnt working for them, and we need doctors to meet us halfway and at least discuss it in a non-biased way. The problem is that patients are just numbers and cash nowadays, and it's very rare to find a friendly, sympathetic doctor.

Thanks so much everyone for commenting, a free I posted last night I was so down I had a massive cry, but reading all of these supportive comments has lifted my sprits, I feel blessed to have you all to lean on.......I went to my surgeon today ( was thrilled he opened the surgery for me on a Saturday morning, much less Easter weekend!) I think I stressed myself do much my band was feeling tight so I had some fill removed and feeling better already!

My surgeon is so supportive and he was horrified when I told him about the chiro...he has given me some numbers for others but since that appt was only my 2nd ever I'm not convinced I even need to go back....

• Like 1

You poor thing! I can't wait to reach the 'overweight' range. It is where I plan to be for the long term!

Already I feel fantastic and I'm still in the obese range!!

S

Funny really how its all relative. I lost a lot of weight on the Cohen's diet and got into the overweight category. I was so stoked. I told everyone that would listen about it. LOL.

So you just go and enjoy how much better you feel. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall if you did say "yeah great isn't it"

Twits that they are, BTW, were both health "professionals "(and I use that term very loosely indeed) under their required weight for height. Probably not, so I would put it down to jealousy, pat yourself on the back for a job well done and don't give them another thought.

Well done.

Katy

• Like 1

Gold, pure gold, Kazbo, you took the word right out of my mouth.

Trix01 congratulations on your fantastic journey so far.

Have you heard that they are now interviewing students before admitting them into medicine at Uni?

This is because the medical schools had started to become overloaded with students that, even the lecturers thought were not up to scratch.

A phenomenal intellect does not automatically guarantee a great conversationalist. It takes time with most of them and some never get it at all.

The interviews are to ensure that the students are applying for the right reasons.

I'm sure you just experienced one end of the broad doctors spectrum, I hope you find one that is to you liking.

Regards,

Martin.

• Like 1

OMG I am rapt to have gone from super morbidly obese down through morbidly obese and now still in obese but gone from a size 24 to a size 18 and so proud of myself. I am proud of you. You were so polite not to have somethign like "well I lost 47 kilos but you haven;t lost any of your rudeness"

Congratulations on your weightloss!! That is fantastic!!! I would LOVE to be "overweight" :D

And in response to u'r GP...when he said "You're still overweight you know"....I think the only response I would've been able to throw back at him would be "Thanks for that doc, and your still ugly you know!" :D

• Like 1

I'm proud to have moved from morbidly obese to obese B)

• Like 2

Your BMI is 24.26, so not only is your GP an idiot, they are also wrong. The healthy BMI range is up to 24.9 so I suggest next time you are there you put them in their place. Dodgy GP's give us all a bad name ... Hopefully I will be a better GP :)

Dave

• Like 6