zimbakymba

Has Being Overweight Stopped You From Achieving A Dream?? (or at least trying)

So I have been pondering this lately and I know there's a lot of stuff in life that being obese gets in the way of. So posing this question to all bandits no matter where they are in their journey...

What dream or life goal would you love to pursue when you've reached your goal weight?

For me total randomness ...... Would love to be a stand up comedian and learn to surf/paddle board!!!!

• Like 2

Oh so many small things I've missed out on over the years but the biggest was last year.

I went travelling in Europe for a couple of months but found because of m,y size I just didn't have the energy or fitness to do everything I wanted to acheive. The hardest was I couldn't stand in long queues so missed out on climbing the eiffel tower. and this has been a long held dream for me.

So now I'm working on NOT being that fat, unhealthy person ever again...

• Like 1

Yes....I started Ballroom dancing when I was 5 yrs old, I did examinations and got up to only 4 medals off being able to study to become an instructor, but due to family circumstances I had to stop when I was 18yrs old. I've thought many times of going back and finishing it, I miss dancing every minute of everyday, I loved it!! But I'm not "comfortable" enough to bring myself to go back yet and I'm certainly not fit enough. I hope that oneday I will feel better about myself to be able to go back and finish what I started so long ago :D

• Like 2

I think being overweight has definitely limited my opportunities.

Five years ago I was a happy size twelve. Unfortunitly my Psoriatic Arthritis started to worsen. This lead to less physical activity. A short time later I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I could no longer sleep properly, my pain intensified and I spiraled into a state of depression (and of course food is a great comfort when depressed). I started to gain some weight at this stage, then my weigh skyrocketed! I have now also been diagnosed with Hashimoto's (autoimmune that effects thyroid) which is apparently the culprit for the majority off weight gain and the inability to loose it.

So for me loosing weight is an important aspect of regaining control of my health. I want to be able to socialize with my friends (instead of coming home exhausted at the end of the day), I want to be able to run around with my gorgeous nephew, walk my dogs, go bike riding and do some more traveling!

Now that I have made the decision to be banded I can't wait for it to happen. In a week and a half I have my fist appointment with my surgeon and hopefully I won't have much of a wait before surgery!

• Like 2

I can definitely relate to this, but there is light at the end of the tunnell.....!

My passion is cooking, believe it or not I love to cook, not only cook (but eat too!!) but my problem was I loooooooooove to cook sweets, cakes, biscuits, macaroons, slices etc etc ... Prior to banding I would only cook these things for my family because I was conscience that other people would think that was the reason I was so fat. Ecause all I did was cook cakes and eat them......

Since banding I have started my own business making and decorating cakes, currently I'm bringing in almost as much from my cakes as I do from my 'real' job.....I barely get sleep anymore because I'm always baking but I wouldn't have it any other way!!!!!!

Oh, also I've always wanted to swim with sharks but was too scared to get in a wetsuit in front of others but I did that in feb this year!!! I say reach for the stars and follow your dreams- you will get there xxxx

• Like 4

5 years ago my dream was to lose weight so I could meet a man and have a family of my own.I never thought I could do that whilst being "the fat girl". But I did, 3 years ago a met an amazing man, who loves me just as I am, and we have a beautiful 6 month old son.

So I guess I have smaller dreams now:

- to feel comfortable in a bathing suit

- go on holiday to a HOT country and not feel like a whale wearing a tank top

- buy clothes from funkier stores like Supre and other shops that dont sell above a size 14

Mostly my dream is to just feel NORMAL and not like "the fat girl"

• Like 1

oh and more than ANYTHING, I wanna get really hot, go home to WA and show off to all my old friends :)

• Like 1

I want to go back to playing netball. At the moment, I don't think my ankle would support me (I broke it in two places and damaged the ligaments playing netball in early 2007) and so I'm waiting until I reach goal weight. Plus, the idea of my fat legs in a netball skirt is not the most pleasant image...

Other than that, just a few small things like, oh I don't know, getting married, having kids... :D

yeasterday i watched the movie BURLESQUE- i think i missed my chance to be one :rolleyes:

Wow Christine Agrulia can sing- and act and look stunning- again i missed my call B)

• Like 2

Hi all,

Achieving dreams! Hubby and i are currently planning a trip to Europe next year - there is no way I would have considered doing this while I was overweight - plane seats, queues, walking etc.

I don't really have any big dreams but it is the realisation of the things that being overweight has robbed me of that have left me gobsmacked - I can and do garden, I went for a promotion (and got it), I walk up trig (big hill behind our place), I walk lots of places and enjoy it, I go to the gym and I am no longer the biggest person anywhere. Even almost two years down the track I am still in awe of the difference the weight loss has made - I run (granted on the treadmill - but what the hell, I run). I have also found that I am more appreciative of the simple things in life instead of being so damn angry all the time (I was when I was fat - I just didn't realise it).

The changes have been huge and while the dreams are simpler - I am achieving them.

Donna

• Like 2

I no longer want to be the one that stands back and watch everyone else have fun and me secretly wishing l was a normal size like everyone else so l could participate in all the hoilday fun activities with family/friends. I want to be with them and join in knowing lm able too without the embarrasment of being over weight. Oh and l would love to join a rock n roll dance class would be awesome......

I love to sing, my family have been musical as we sang in church growing up and music has always been such a big part of our family and lifestyle. Every year I would watch the idol shows and all the singing contests and think if only I had the confidence I would do it. Now to be honest I dont think I am that talented I would win something like that, but to just be able to stand up and give it my best go would be everything. I have my wonderful hubby and babies and most of my BIG goals have been fullfilled while overweight, but singing in public is one that will have to wait till I reach goal.

I think more then singing, I would love to feel confident and beautiful and proud of my body for once. I would love to one day maybe as a goal present to myself take some nudey photos (all the funky bits hidden like boobs and hoo ha) ones that I could feel proud of, that my husband would enjoy ;D Or maybe to feel confident to go out wearing more daring things like strapless and backless dresses things like that. I guess in general I want to feel more confident and comfortable in my skin. I want to enjoy my femininity :)

• Like 3

I had a music career.

I say 'had' because I got to a point with my weight where I think I chose to stop having one.

I had major label interest and they told me when I was 75kgs that I was not signable at that weight.

I'm now 72.5 and trying to re-motivate myself to get back on the horse and push the album.

I owe it to my brother. It was his masterpiece too.

Nowadays the industry has changed so much I don't know what I'd do even if they still did want to sign me.

I miss singing. I would ideally love to make a career as a song writer. And I'm going to say it - I do have what it takes to do this. It's just finding the time and motivation to put my full force behind it.

But you gotta have a day job to write, and ironically, having that day job sucks all the time I need to write. Sigh.

Other than that my goals were to look good on my wedding day (and be a healthy weight, which I am, yay!) and to run.

I just want to be able to run!!

• Like 3

I would love to do salsa dancing, but being the size I am isn't very sexy.

Ride a bike

Ride a horse

Shop in normal clothes

Find love

I would love to travel to Paris and climb the Eiffel tower with my husband and our best friends, be able to play tennis again, not be worried that everyone is tooling at me because I am so big and go out in my sons boat that he keeps asking me to do.

I have always dreamed of being an actor but never had the confidence to put myself out there to agents, etc. I also have a birthmark on my forehead which also made my shy about doing that...I won't get it removed though B)

I would also love to be a stand up comedian.

I really wanted to start dragon boat racing this summer but I didn;t want to weigh down the boat. I used to paddle when I was heavier but this time i want to join a women''s only team. You can get away with being heavier on a mixed team. I WILL JOIN NEXT SEASON

• Like 1

When we were both obese and with the diabetes we had zero ambition to acheive anything so I'd have to say No but now we are both firing on all cylinders.

Neddy, who is "we"?

• Like 2

My friend Mary who first introduced me to the idea of banding some 19 months ago after I met her a year after she had hers fitted and we recently took the big step of living together.

I havent lived with anyone since the last human love of my life passed away 20 years ago.

• Like 2

Since I was a little girl, I've been desperate to learn tap dancing. The closest I ever got was ballet lessons.

As an adult, I decided that at 30 kilos overweight, me and tap dancing weren't a good look. Now 25 kilos down, I'm finally up for it. Only problem is that instead of being the fat girl in tap shoes, I'm now going to be the old lady! I can live with that.

Kate

• Like 1

My friend Mary who first introduced me to the idea of banding some 19 months ago after I met her a year after she had hers fitted and we recently took the big step of living together.

I havent lived with anyone since the last human love of my life passed away 20 years ago.

That's nice! Congratulations. You should upload a picture of your lovely lady :)

All the big stuff has already been taken care of - got married, have a son (ok, i couldn't have any more and IVF didn't work but that's in the past now), travelled to Europe last year (going again soon :D)... soooooooooooooooooo.......... I just want to be a normal size again. To be able to go shopping in 'normal' shops and actually look GOOD in my clothes again.

Another bandit from here said to me recently, "I'm not fat anymore". She can't quite believe it but she should. She's lost 47kg :o

i'd like to wear heels :)

without them hurting!

I totally get that. I have to settle for really low heels to go out in, but i pretty much live in thongs haha.

Not only that, but I'd like my legs to look good whilst wearing heels. And my waist to look good whilst wearing the legs....