Nessa1977

Date you are being sleeved

I'll start the ball rolling.

I'm going to be sleeved on Tuesday 12 June 2012 by Mr Darrin Goodall-Wilson at St John of God Hospital in Geelong.

I can't wait to put an end to my obesity once and for all.

Going to be a difficult 2 weeks leading up to the procedure whilst on Optifast, as I'll be going away for the Queen's Birthday long weekend on our annual girls spa weekend, but I'll manage somehow, no doubt with a lot of support from all of you!

Looking forward to sharing my journey with you all.

• Like 1

My surgery date is 30 May at Greenslopes Private Hospital by Dr Justin Greenslade. However, I am due to start a new job in the next couple of weeks and don't know whether I should ask them for time off??

You have a right too as this was all done prior to you commencing.

I started a new job last year and told them at the interview that I had already prebooked leave for later that year and they were fine with that.

Maybe give them a call and let them know or maybe go in person before you start and explain the situation. You can tell them as much or little as you like.

Thanks Nessa, that is good advice. I will tell them about my plans this week.

I was due to start a new job at the same time as bening banded. I told them that I had elective surgery booked, that the date couldn't be changed and could I start a few weeks later than they wanted. they were fine with that.

Congratulations to you both! That's wonderful!

• Like 1

hi guys i got a vertical gastric sleeve on the 28th of march 2012 lost 11kg to date start mushies 2 days ago

• Like 4

Hi guys,

Was sleeved on the 2nd February by Dr Craig Taylor. nearly at the 20kg down mark (since commencing Opti on NYD). I feel fantastic with the sleeve and have not regretted my decision one iota!

• Like 5

I was recommended by my surgeon to have 2 weeks off work at least, so this was what I had. I returned to work while in the mushy stage and felt fine. Some people take an extra week off just to get them well rested before going back to work. You tend to be rather sore on the right side incision as it is the most disturbed area of the operation. I felt fine with that after the first week, but some people took a bit longer and were glad of a bit extra time to recuperate. I guess recuperation is an individual thing. If you have a very physical job, then more time might be recommended.

• Like 1

I've taken 3 weeks off work. Although I work from home 3 days of the week, I'd rather take the time to chill out and get used to things. I work in an office 2 days a week, so that'll be interesting when I return. Plus just want that extra time off so I can be OK to drive.

• Like 1

My surgery is on a Wednesday so I have decided to take 8 business days off so I think that should be ok.

Mine is a Tuesday. By the time I go back to the office it'll be approaching 4 weeks, so things will hopefully be easier food wise...I think soft food stage?

Hi *waves* I met my surgeon yesterday and will be sleeved on 30 May. Yippee! We discussed band vs sleeve at length, and he left the decision to me, but as much as having half my stomach cut away freaks me out :blink: , after talking to both the surgeon and the dietician I honestly do think the sleeve is the best option for me. I don't want to get a band and not succeed and then look at needing more surgery - this is it, I want to do it once and do it right.

Anyway, I still have to get funds released from my superannuation to cover the out of pocket costs (if only Canberra Bariatric wasn't so damn expensive!) but with a BMI of 42 plus related chronic pain and mental health issues I'm optimistic that it will be approved smoothly in time for my surgery.

Good luck to those of you having your procedures shortly!

• Like 1

Hi all,

I just posted on the other topic in this section under Band, Sleeve or "just keep trying". I really wish you all well, and particularly send out warm wishes to those of you just sleeved. I hope all is going OK?

I'll pop into this site every now and then and see how things are going for you all. As I explained on the other topic, I am postponing my decision for bariatric surgery a little longer as I again fight, for one last time, with all my recourses, and some new resources, against my binge eating. I think the sleeve will be for me if my final battle is not successful enough.

I will be very keenly interested to know how things are going for you all. I'd like to finish with some wise and warm words/quote but damned if I can think of anything. Just wishing you all so much luck and not too much struggle, just some struggle (to be expected) and many successes!

Arna

• Like 4

Ok so I had the band put in Jan 2012 and the day I hit my 3 month mark 27 kilos lighter my port wound opened up and port had to be removed. Then 3 weeks later (3 weeks ago) I had sharp stabbing pains when I took a breath and after a hospital emergency visit and 3 days in hospital band was removed.

Surgeon now wants me to consider sleeve instead because of higher risk of infection if he put another band in, and I am happy with the decision we made together. So I go from Band to Sleeve, Dr gave me a month to heal up and make a final decision but my mind is now made and set on the sleeve as the thought of more surgery because of infection is just not an option for me.

So on 30th May I see my Dr and will let you know dates then. :) Still very stoked with the 30 kilos all up I lost with the band and I have seemed to stablise my weight which is great hopefully wont put any on while waiting for healing and a surgery date.

• Like 1

All the best.

I'm now being sleeved on 26 June, 2 weeks after my original date.

im having a lot of trouble with my band - overfills, blockages, etc etc, though i have lost half my weight - the local surgeon i have been seeing thinks a sleeve would have been a better option for me - i didnt go their cos hubby didnt like the idea of half my stomach being chopped off just in case something went wrong later down the track - this thursday we are BOTH going to chat to the surgeon about me getting the band removed & sleeve done instead - im going to hang in with the band as much as i can, but am very tempted

be nice to eat again

• Like 2

Good luck Deb.

• Like 1

Ok so appointment with Dr yesterday went really well, sleeve surgery booked for 20th September which means I will be in hospital over my birthday (22nd september) and doc said 3 days in hospital, but thats ok 29 might be a crappy birthday but my 30th will be awesome.

Will need to start optifast on the 6th September but up untill then my surgeon said he would like to challenge me to keep me motivated so challenge is 10 kilos gone in 4 months (as surgery date is 4 months away) So Im happy and excited. A little miffed its so long away but glad he has given me a goal for the interim.

Hubby has booked a week and half off work so 2 days over while Im in hospital and a whole week for when Im out woot woot!!!

So I guess its just back to the trying to keep the weight off exercise and try to eat right and try and smash that 10 kilos :)

• Like 4

Hi JaimiM,

Congrats on your weight loss so far, you must feel amazing having a sleeve date now too. Did you go back to Dr Dolan?

Is he making you wait four months for the sleeve to give your body time to heal?

You are going to rock those 30th birthday photos next year!

Yup I went back to Dr Dolan he has always been fantastic with me. The 4 months is so I can give my body a bit of a rest as Ive been through a lot over the last 5 months, the initial surgery then to take the port out then to take the whole band out and the port wound has only just healed over this week :( So Im happy that I get that time also thats the nearest time for him as he has a long list of people, and I think he doesnt operate at Hollywood private much either and that was where I had the first surgery and I liked it there. :)

Thanks sweets I hope so I started on this journey and I intend to finish it soon :)

Hi Sleevers All!

I am a bit nervous about posting as was chewed out by some people on this site not long ago. But they seem to have disappeared!

I am booked for a gastric sleeve on Oct 15, so I am watching with GREAT INTEREST how others before me go.

Can't say I've told many people as it's still some time away. But strangely, I am getting nervous all the time! Today I went and ate nacho's, which I don't even like but I did it because I thought soon I won't be able to. Crazy lady!!

Anyhow, I'll keep you all posted. I weigh 105.3 kilos, I am 164 cm, which makes me BMI 39 or something. I'm hoping to lose at least 30 kilo's in the 1st 12-14 months. That may be unrealistic, but I have to see what the surgeon reckons I should aim for.

Good luck to everyone. ( NERVY......) :wacko:

Miss Ruthy

• Like 1

Hi Miss Ruthy

You should be safe here now that we have the sleeve department. Having a food funeral is quite normal I think - mine came to an abrupt end when I started the Optifast leg of the journey but it's all for a good cause. My surgery is next week, I'm nervous and excited. I'll be keeping everyone posted though.

Cookie