Sign in to follow this  
Simone1966

Disappointed in myself

Hi Guys, Its been a while since i posted anything. I was banded May 2011 and so far my journey has been great...Ive gone from size 18 down to size 12 (99.95kilos to 73.80 Kilos) and have become a total gym junkie. Anyway all was going smoothly until i was experiencing some very uncomfortable reflux and heartburn, mind you i had the same fill amount for about 4 months and was sailing along smoothly in the "green zone" then all of a sudden found myself suffering terrible heartburn so after a very bad night of constant reflux and vomiting i made an emergency dash to my doctor. He explained that sometimes food can get stuck and cause swelling which can then cause reflux etc. so he removed 1 mil from my band and OMG INSTANT RELIEF. I left the surgery feeling fantastic for first time in over a week. Ok so this is when my downward spiral has begun. I now feel like i have no restriction (still have 4mils). I have eaten EVERYTHING in sight for the last 2 weeks...i feel like im totally out of control....im hoping that i can get in on a cancellation next week to have the fluid put back in...im soooo disappointed in myself for allowing myself to slip back into my old habits....I have no idea how much weight i have put on over the 2 weeks but im sure its a few kilos....im also experiencing the worse constipation...my stomach is totally bloated and i just cant seem to "go"....Im still going to the gym which i guess is a positive but....i feel like my old self is returning...this had made me realise just how much i need this band and how glad i am that i took that step..im also going through a relationship breakup so of course im doing the comfort food to make myself feel better...old habit...anyway sorry for the ranting just needed to let it all out...hope you are all doing well with your journeys. Im curious has anyone gone throught something similar regarding having fill taken out and i would LOVE any advise or remedies for constipation and any suggestions of any quick relief over the counter medication i can take

Cheers

Simone

Try Psyllium Husk, (packet reads, Psyllium husk is a dietary fibre used to increase stool weight and laxation. It must always be taken with plenty of water, you can drink it or place over your food.

Get it from pharmacy or health food shops, about $7 for 200g.

Good luck with it all :)

Hi Simone can't help with the fill taken out part :( Can sympathise with the relationship breakup and emotional eating that comes with it - just be kind to yourself and give yourself the time to heal. As to the constipation I enjoy :wacko: a small glass of prune juice each day to cope with the constipation. Not sure on the quick fix with a lap band (movical is a good remedy) I would suggest a hot water bottle on your tummy for tonight and a trip to the chemist in the morning to have a chat with them on the available medications. A warm relaxing bath including a stomach massage - rub right to left in an upside down U shape can sometimes help to get things moving. Best of luck and well done with continuing at the gym.

Cheers QB

Hi simone, your journey sounds very similar to mine....I also was banded may 2011 and have lost 47kgs, everything going smoothly for so long then last week I got sick with a vomiting bug and it made my band play up, I persisted with constant vomiting for 4 days couldn't even keep down water, eventually went to emergency and they totally emptied my band.....completely!

So, first guess what I did...... Went to a cafe and bought a toasted sandwich, you know the ones, with the really thick bread?? Basically haven't stopped eating sit my band was let down, and all rubbish too!!!

Anywho, went off to my surgeon today and fessed up to my shortcomings, he was very understanding and reminded me that I hadn't had to cope with these eating emotions in so long that it was bound to play with my mind, the fact that I had no fill....he gave me 3.5mls, was previously 5.2mls but he wants to work back up to that..., so I'm still not feeling a great deal of restriction but I'm glad to be back in the right frame of mind......

Regarding the constipation movicol has always worked the best for me...

Good luck!

Fpr the constipation, there is a liquid you can get from the chemist called Duphalac (Actilax is the generic) which is very good if you need to get the peristaltic waves moving. It only costs about $10 for the bottle and you only need... maybe 20ml... each time.

Hi Simone, there are several over the counter things you can take coloxyl and senna and take it per the pharmacists recommendations and/or your doctors. Prune Juice and sometimes black liquorice helps. Keep your head up and keep your routine at the gym up. The emotional side of all this has to be so difficult then add the band difficulties and changes in eating habits etc. I think we all test the boundaries. If I had will power and could control my food intake and types of foods I like to eat, I wouldn't have gotten the band. I had my surgery last may as well, and lost 32 kilos, I have come to a standstill and find that very frustrating. I went from a size 26 to a 14-16 but still need to lose 10kgs. I am so frustrated. So I made an appt to see the dietitian again just to reinstall all the principles of eating with a band. If your constipation continues you need to go see doctor but try some of the recommendations to see if they help....Kristi

You can liquid laxitive from the chemist and put a dose in a protein shake. I was during this during pregnancy. If you want to go the more natural way, you could try watered down prune juice, or i always find that stewed apple and rhubarb works REALLY well! Thats probably the yummiest way, you can have it with yoghurt for breakfast or even dessert.

take the liquid laxative suggested and then drink at least 2-3L of water a day - water softens the hard stool. If you're dehydrated, the body takes water out of the large bowel - which results in dry poo.

Thanks guys for all your replies...ive actually been alot better today...i did my first class of yoga and meditation and it really has helped get my head straight at least for today anyway...ive spent the day drinking lots of water and eating vegetables and yogurt and after a very long brisk walk with the dog finally "went" lol....im going back to doctors hopefully next week to get some fill put back in but am also going to make an appointment with the phycologist to help me throught this emotional time with my separation so im not doing what ive always done and emotionally eat...anyway once again thank you for all your advise...this is such a valuable site and its nice to know you can pop online and get some great support..so thanks guys...Simone xxx

• Like 1

Hi

I expericened a similar thing...I was in the green zone for 6 months and at goal weight....but then started getting reflux so I had 1 ml out! well hallelujiah i ate and ate! lost all control and put on 4kgs! plus going through relationship issues myself! anyway after much disgust in myself i took myself back to surgeon and got some fill put back in and got back into it! it will take me another 6 months to get the last few kgs off but thats the beauty of the band at least we can reighn it in before it gets out of control! Good luck and you can do it!

• Like 1