bandkate

Vegetarian

I'm a vego bandit. Been vegetarian for 4.5 years (ethical reasons, and wasnt a big meat eater anyway). Its not easy as a lot of protein foods are meat.

Im not vegan but I try to avoid eating/purchasing gelatin/animal rennet products. Hard when eating out though.

Hi Miss A, I'm getting banded on the 18th June and I'm also a vego who avoids gelatin and rennet! Have you got any tips for me after I get banded? :-)

Hello,

Can I tell you how great it is being vegan with a band? I turned mainly vegan after being banded because I can not tolerate any kind of meat, it just gets stuck and is too painful and I don't like to PB, so I found myself eating cheese (any cheese) and crackers for lunch which I could tolerate and then I had a blood test and my GP informed me that I had really high cholesterol, which I can only assume was related to my high cheese diet I was consuming. So to cut a long story short, I have cut out all meats, cheeses and all animal products from my diet and I will not look back. I think I have a very healthy diet now, I eat so many lentils, beans, tofu, quinoa and millet (I make patties with these two grains). Eating out can be a challenge though, so I do find myself cooking more which I don't mind because I find that cooking and baking relaxes me.

• Like 3

Hello,

Can I tell you how great it is being vegan with a band? I turned mainly vegan after being banded because I can not tolerate any kind of meat, it just gets stuck and is too painful and I don't like to PB, so I found myself eating cheese (any cheese) and crackers for lunch which I could tolerate and then I had a blood test and my GP informed me that I had really high cholesterol, which I can only assume was related to my high cheese diet I was consuming. So to cut a long story short, I have cut out all meats, cheeses and all animal products from my diet and I will not look back. I think I have a very healthy diet now, I eat so many lentils, beans, tofu, quinoa and millet (I make patties with these two grains). Eating out can be a challenge though, so I do find myself cooking more which I don't mind because I find that cooking and baking relaxes me.

Oh please.... POST RECIPES FOR YOUR GRAIN PATTIES ?

Sooo need an alternative to meat

• Like 3

I'm a vegetarian. I used to also avoid dairy, but I've found that I really struggle to get enough protein without it. Cottage cheese and eggs are my friends. I also eat lentils or chickpeas every day and loads of vegetables.

I'm still a new bandit, but even before banding, my diet was pretty healthy. I just ate too much healthy food as I suck at portion control and I have PCOS and need really low calories to lose anything. Bad combo!

• Like 2

Oh please.... POST RECIPES FOR YOUR GRAIN PATTIES ?

Sooo need an alternative to meat

I will send you some grain patties that I absolutley love from Janella Purcell, she is an amazing healthy cook and I love her food. I will send them later tonight as I am at work right now and I have no idea why this site is not blocked for me (I work for the Government and almost all websites are blocked!!!!).
  • Like 3

Hi Bandkate,

Good to see theres a few of us on here then.

My diet pre banding had too many carbs especially in the evening, Im trying to limit my heavy carbs to lunch time now (home made vege lasagne or risotto, weight watchers meal/lean cuisine), and then protein (frittata/eggs/something beany like mexican bean & egg patties with salsa) for dinner. Brekky is usually a banana. Friday night is usually a social night so pasta usually but i'll try to have little/no carbs other night.

Its not a vego tip but a tip I'll happily share if you have to do Optifast is the following: When I got the green light in January that yep banding was gonna happen I cut out carbs for dinner - eg no pasta, rice etc. I had an Optifast for dinner. Weight started to shift just from that change. I highly recommend starting Optifast early - I dropped 1 meal (dinner), then I dropped a second meal 1-2 weeks later (brekky) then by the time I had to start my 2 weeks of just Optifast my stomach was quite used to the small meals and hunger was minimal. I also recommend the Optifast bars as they filled me up so much more than a shake!

Anyway back on topic - Interested in what the other vegos are eating and def keen to share some recipes!

Hi I am vegetarian too, not quite vegan but I stay away from dairy as I am lactose intolerant. I have an egg as a 'sometimes food'.

I have been banded 2 weeks tomorrow so I have been on just liquids during this time. I have to start the mushy food stage now so I am having soy and lactose free yoghurt and I make fruit smoothies with soy milk and a spoonful of soy ice cream. I am experimenting with veggie soups and this fills me up for now. I don't know what I will be able to eat once the band gets adjusted though. My problem was eating too much carbs, bread, rice, pasta and take away too - pizza, mexican - anyway I am looking forward to a much healthier relationship with food now and to cook more so it has been good reading your posts!

• Like 1

Guest Bethany

Hi,

I am vegetarian too, if I'm being organised my fav meal is tofu and veg curry ( I use the recipe in the knife, fork & band book for Chicken curry but use firm tofu instead of chicken and I add Garam Masala too as I like the taste). I try diff recipes in the book and just throw tofu, quorn, lentils, chickpeas, beans and all sorts of veg in to replace the meat or bits I don't want. My favourites are quorn mince spag bol with veg and lentils thrown in too or tofu curry with lots of veg and sweet potatoe or butternut squash. If I'm in need of some comfort food my fav is "not burgers" sanitarium veggie delights ( Veggie burgers in frozen section I find go down really well), I cook them nice and crispy and have never had any problems with them. So I'll pick a few things like a veggie burger, a few oven chips, baked beans, scrambled eggs, grilled large tomatoes, garlic mushrooms, quorn sausages etc.....

It's just a case of trying all your favourites and seeing what goes down nicely for you, you'll find that most veggie foods are band friendly so shouldn't have many problems. One thing that gets stuck for me is the sanitarium veggie hot dogs but they might be fine for you so just a case of trying diff things as you go along. Lots of people end up eating more veggie foods as they go down so nicely with the band. Always interested to hear of your fav veggie foods to get new ideas and recipes. There's a few threads already that you could search for too to find some more tips for vegetarian's too.

Lisa.

Hi all. how wonderful to find a good lunch of vegos on this site. we can all share recipes etc! I agree with marsha i was the same eating way too many carbs. i have been a vego since birth! recently started eatings eggs post banding to get more protein in. my new fav is buying the 4 beans cans or chic peas cans and making a tomato based gravy curry ( heat lil oil, put mustard n cumin seeds, add onions ginger n garlic, add can tomatoes, add spices - turmeric, red chilli poweder, cumin coriander powder and garam masla , then add the beans n let it cook for a bit with a little bit water..have it with lil bit of brown rice with it.

I also notice that i seem to eat more cheese but try to buy only light coles cheese. have stopped eating cruskits but i miss them so much! i have been good cooked 3 times this week :)

I'm not vegetarian but after being banded I have really gone off eating meat, loving millet, beans, lentils, chick peas, spinach etc.

I'm vegetarian and am not yet banded.

Just wondering if the knife, fork & band book is worth buying in regards to the amount/quality of vegetarian meals in it?

Guest Bethany

I bought the book embay and use it and no regrets for me but as per usual is limited veggie recipes but can replace meat with tofu/quorn so for me it's been useful.

Hi Ladies,

no surprise but I am a veggo too! I was vegan during my pregnancy as the thought of dairy food make me want to puke. The only thing I missed during that time was decent chocolate, but towards the end I found a nice dark one and all was right with the world.

I am all for requesting a purely vegetarian/vegan thread under the recipes section of the forum if anyone else thinks this is a good idea?

My definition of vegetarian is no flesh or by-product of any animal, but including eggs, honey and dairy, and vegan is no flesh/by product/any product that comes from an animal/insect. Everyone agree?

PS - pet hate of mine is people saying 'I'm a vegetarian but I eat chicken/fish/pork'. No you aren't. You are a meat eater who has a mostly vegetarian diet. I think there is a huge difference! This is just my opinon though, feel free to disagree! :ph34r:

I totally agree, people who are vegetarian but still eat white meat annoy me too. Im an omnivore, i love a beautiful peice of scotch fillet topped with prawns! On one hand, it seems like a good idea to have a vegetarian section in the recipe forums...but then where does it stop? Do we then add a meat section? A gluten free recipe forum? I think the focus of the site should remain the same, being centered around banding experiences. The recipe forums are a resource to help us get through the liquid/'ushie stages, but i dont think they should grow to overshadow the advice forums. There are plenty of cooking and recipe sites that separate them into categories. My personally opinion is that our categories should remain the same. Sorrrryyy!! :)

You don't have to be sorry at all! The reason I thought it would be handy is I've 5 veggos on the forum PM me and ask for recipes. I am happy to start a veggie only recipe conversation if it achieves the same thing :)

That would be great cuz then i can still steal some! I'm not giving up meat lol (unless the band makes me) but i would like to incorporate more vegies into my diet so I'd love to get some vegetarian recipe ideas :)

I would love to see a vego/vegan section AND a gluten free section!

OOhhhh I like that idea too!!!

I'm recently Vegan, (this year) in a household of omnivores (husband and kids) although, they are very supportive, particularly my husband.

I'm making an exception, of course for my pre-op optifast weeks. I'm assuming there's dairy by products at least involved in there.

Due to be banded September 1st!!!

I'm sure I'll be more of a 'taker' than a giver though! I rarely remember exactly how I made anything! Still, maybe I'll come across the odd recipe to share from somewhere else!

Heya all,

I am happy to set up a new forum in the recipes section if you like for gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian etc. When people post up a recipe they could put what sort it is in the topic eg "Dairy Free: Chicken Cardbonara" or "Vegan: Meatless Patties" or something like that. What do you think?

I would want to just create one forum for all of them, so what should I call it?

Thanks

Dave