Jimmy86

2nd time banded

Hi all

My first banding op went well but I have had a slippage - my pouch has enlarged and I had to have the band emptied.

An getting the op redone in July 2012.

Has anyone had a similar experience? How have you gone 2nd time round?

Well I was banded back in Nov 2010, and have lost in excess of 40kg since then. Unfortunatelty I suffered a slippage earlier this year and to cut a long story short had to have all my fill out... the relief from pain in my chest was instant.....anyway a few weeks later I had it fixed.....basically re sutured my surgeon tells me. I was only in hospital overnight, and the recovery was very quick......liquids, mushies and then back to solids as per the original banding. Six weeks after the rebanding I had my first fill and then another last week.....During the several months between discovering the slippage and now.. Imanaged to put on over 8 kilos......as bad habits showed their ugly head. I am so pleased to now have some restriction and be back in control....and to be able to put this episode behind me.....Debbie

• Like 4

hi jimmy68,

I have had my 2nd band on for 12months. had to have my first one removed in a hurry, due to problems.(only had on 4 months)

no dramas this time, different style and stitched into place.

• Like 2

I had my band replaced in March. Prior to that had no fill since mid Dec. Have put on 8kg in that time. Now have 4ml in 14ml band so starting to feel restriction. Am very disappointed I put the weight on but am still down in excess of 40kg. Also learnt very important lesson I do need my band, despite my positivity and thinking I would be right and although the band had changed my behaviours without it old habits emerged and it is a constant battle to maintain a level of control.

But on the upside I am getting there and am sure I will start to lose weight again before my next fill in a couple of weeks.

Good luck

Rhonni

• Like 3

I had my first 7ml band for 8 years and had it replaced with a 14ml band in March due to slippage and severe reflux. I have 9ml now and starting to feel like I have restriction. Hopefully i'll start losing again and no reflux issues arise.

My new band resolution is to be more mindful of my portion sizes and not try and force food down because i'm trying to keep up with others in a social setting.

• Like 3

I have the worst reflux too, I will have to ask about it, can't get to sleep at night, for fear of choking on the uprising, lol

I had my band replaced in March. Prior to that had no fill since mid Dec. Have put on 8kg in that time. Now have 4ml in 14ml band so starting to feel restriction. Am very disappointed I put the weight on but am still down in excess of 40kg. Also learnt very important lesson I do need my band, despite my positivity and thinking I would be right and although the band had changed my behaviours without it old habits emerged and it is a constant battle to maintain a level of control.

But on the upside I am getting there and am sure I will start to lose weight again before my next fill in a couple of weeks.

Good luck

Rhonni

I'm glad you said that. I often wonder if I have the band, and have to have it removed for whatever reason, if I would be able to continue with the same eating patterns you develop with the help of the band. When explaining the band to my partner, i mentioned that eventually they have to be replaced, and he said "well if you're already used to eating small portions etc, would you really need another one?". I wasnt sure and couldnt answer his question, but I think now I know the answer. Most likely I would return to my old eating habits and regain weight

• Like 1

Rebanded and still get reflux. However also got reflux prior to first band. Difference is I don't have to take medication as often now I am rebanded. It will be interesting to see if this stays the same after I get more restriction.

Thanks for the input guys!

I'm 4 days post op & going to give it my all. I put on ALL the weight I lost from the first band when I had it emptied and was heading to keep getting bigger at the rate I was going. the hunger and appetite came back with a vengeance!

Chantily you sound just like me! I try to keep up in social settings and try and disguise that I have a band to throw ppl off my scent! I have a phobia of ppl knowing and I do try to push more down than I should... Going to try and be extra careful now.

• Like 2

Oh and yes I had reflux, that's how I knew something was up. I don't think reflux is the word, more like agonizing torture. It was almost 8 kgs that I put on also, from having an empty band for 9 months...

getting my second band in november 8th the first one was april 26 of this year

do you have more scars now ???

i hate my scars :[

I'm on my second band and they went though my old scars so I didn't have anymore :)

• Like 1

Ah man. Now I'm concerned. Getting my first band the 24 Nov, but I can't afford to do this twice in a year? Eggzy82 that sucks, shame man. Hmmmm.

just a question because I get terrible chest pains and my Dr is saying that its reflux (I used to get reflux before and it never felt like this) so Im not convinced but just wondering, if I too had slippage? I only had mine done two months ago, I am still restricted in what I eat and I don't throw up, could mine have slipped?