AppleMartini

Non Scale Victories (NSVs)

My NSV might seem a little odd but as a secret bander it has been what I hoped for.

I am within a kilo of goal and have been for months so I think I'm going to call it done. I have lost 30 odd kilos and my NSV is that people no longer comment on my weight loss and ask how I did it. The way I look now has become my 'normal' look. New people at work don't know me any other way. I'm normal and it feels great.

Congratulations! it must be an amazing feeling to be happy exactly where you are :)

• Like 3

Oh I am so over the moon at the moment.  I had to buy a new pair of black pants and went into a plus sized store and tried a couple of pairs on but they just looked really baggy in the legs.  So I went to the store next door which only stocks "normal" not plus sized clothes.  Well I have bought a pair of pants from there and they fit, okay there are in their largest size which is 18 but they are from a normal store.

I bought a pair of pants at the plus sized store back in October and they were a size 22 with a partial elasticated waist.  These new ones are a size 18 with a fixed waist band.

Hubby and I were having lunch after and I just wanted to shout it out loud that I had bought normal clothes in a normal store.  Just a bit happy :)

• Like 6

My NSV might seem a little odd but as a secret bander it has been what I hoped for.

I am within a kilo of goal and have been for months so I think I'm going to call it done. I have lost 30 odd kilos and my NSV is that people no longer comment on my weight loss and ask how I did it. The way I look now has become my 'normal' look. New people at work don't know me any other way. I'm normal and it feels great.

You should update your profile to 100%. I was so excited the day I got to do that. I think I did that when I was 1 or 2 kgs aways from my goal. Ahh, it's just rounding.

• Like 2

Thank you Missy. I have been wanting to update to 100% but was hung up on that last kilo lol.

Here I go......

• Like 4

I feel like I'm finally happy with my body! I had some tidying up (reconstructive surgeries) to go, but overall I'm happy.....

• Like 10

I feel like I'm finally happy with my body! I had some tidying up (reconstructive surgeries) to go, but overall I'm happy.....

With 88kg lost you should be very happy with your body, what a amazing achievement. Congratulations.

• Like 4

I saw my GP the other day about continuing abdominal pain (referred port pain after 1 year), so she was feeling around my tummy. Suddenly her hands stopped moving and her eyes opened wide and I thought, "Oh, crap. WTF has she found in my tummy ?!" Then she said, "I can feel your aortic pulse !" (Big blood vessel that runs down the middle of your abdomen). I told her, "Sure. I've been able to feel that for ages. That's normal isn't it ?" She told me that she can usually only feel it in really slim patients. I told her that I'm not as big as I look 'cause I'm carrying a lot of excess skin and to illustrate, held my arm out and gave my upper arm a good jiggle. She then agreed that yes, I have a lot of excess skin and subcutaneous tissue. She also checked to see how much separation I had in my rectus abdominus and told me it's only about 1/2cm and that that'll probably continue to close up over time. Looks like all my core work is paying off.

Oh ... and my resting heart rate has dropped to 40 bpm. Hopefully that's an accurate indicator of my fitness and I won't die when I do my first Fun Run (5km) on Sunday ... lol.

One year on and I'm still kicking goals. As my son would say, "Feels good man."

• Like 9

I had my first NSV today and I'm super excited. I'm currently at uni, and anyone who has ever been into a uni lecture theatre will know of the seats that have the little side desk that you flip up to rest your books on. Well for the last two years I haven't been able to use the desk because my legs were too big and it wouldn't come down over them properly. So it would be on an angle and if I put my notebook down on it, it would slide straight off.

I was banded over summer and started uni again this week. To my surprise and delight my legs/hips/butt are now small enough that I can get the desk to come down to fully close. It was so straight I even put my coffee down on it without fear of it sliding off. Even though I've lost 17kg plus, I honestly haven't noticed that much of a difference until today. Can't keep the smile off my face.

• Like 11

This time last year, I couldn't even squeeze myself into a sz 26 pair of pants.. I stuck to leggings so if I had to guess, I was a solid 28, maybe even a 30... today I tried on a pair of jeans from city chic that a friend passed on to me.. size 18 baby!!! Sure they're a little stretchy and yeah, I won't be wearing them out in public for a while but they are on, buttoned, zipped and I can even sit and bend in them... 

• Like 8

I went op shopping today for 80's clothes and instead of having to try to think up what a fat person could dress up as I just headed straight to the size 14's, 16's and 18's and looked for stuff I wanted. Still no luck yet but at least this time I can look for a short ra-ra skirt and an oversized off the shoulder top and look no more stupid than I did 30 years ago. Last time I went to an 80's do, I had to dress fat-appropriately so ended up going as Boy George 'cause he was a big solid bloke and I was able to hide my big body under big baggy pants and massive jacket. I'd have much preferred to dress as Cyndi Lauper or Madonna. This time I can !

• Like 7

Here's a nice little NSV for my one year bandi-versary:

I put on some old trackie pants this morning, walked into the kitchen to put the kettle on, and my pants dropped to my ankles ... lol. I just stepped out of them and put them in the bin.

• Like 8

Before I was banded I used to daydream about what I'd wear for different occasions if I was able to wear whatever I wanted. One of my biggest daydreams was to be able to just throw on a big ole baggy pair of jeans and t-shirt, and be able to pull of that effortless 'looks great but hasn't gone to any trouble' kinda look. My kids call it the 'soccer mum' look.

It was my one year bandi-versary last week so I got dressed and took some photos. When I looked at them later I realised I've done it. I DO now wear whatever I want, whenever I want, and I'm pulling off the 'soccer mum' look.

post-7588-0-03633300-1393892085_thumb.jp

• Like 10

I went on a huge shop a thon yesterday and got some amazing bargains. Things that had been marked down by 50% - 75% or more PLUS a further 20% off if you got three things or more.

• Like 2

Didn't even notice this had happened, but looking in the mirror at the gym I noticed how much space is now inbetween my thighs! When I got home I put my legs together and no matter how tight I got my inner thighs would not touch each other!! Wow, before they used to get sweaty and rub and make noises with certain clothes on and now nothing! wow!! (Even with the saggy skin still there)

• Like 7

It's been a busy week of NSV's for me!

I have been on 3 dates with a guy I met through an online dating site in the past week and tonight he said to me "weird question, but why the hell did you call yourself large-ish on your profile? you aren't even close to being large".

Then this morning my manager told me it was time I ordered a new work shirt because mine is hanging off me, and she told me this is the 3rd new one shes had to order me and that my weight loss is killing her budget :P

• Like 11

Today the steering wheel in the car felt too far away. I looked down and realised my stomach no longer touches the wheel, but is about an inch away!

• Like 7

lol I do the same thing skeeter, I only noticed today that the wheel no longer rubs against my huge gut    lol,,, a noice little victory

• Like 2

I bought a new pair of kevlar motorcycle jeans, cause mine are too big (they're on Gumtree).

I'm stoked with how they looked, but even more stoked I could fit some on me - never used to be the case with the funky ones, could only ever get the daggy larger size ones on before.

They're really great looking jeans and I jammed myself into a size 38 (whatever that is), and man I look and feel SO HOT in them right now!!! - Well I think so anyway. I'm allowed, right??? Yes, I'm falling in love with myself....

What's the point of being a biker chick if you're too big to look SUPER hot (instead of regular hot)? LOL

• Like 7

I bought a new pair of kevlar motorcycle jeans, cause mine are too big (they're on Gumtree).

I'm stoked with how they looked, but even more stoked I could fit some on me - never used to be the case with the funky ones, could only ever get the daggy larger size ones on before.

They're really great looking jeans and I jammed myself into a size 38 (whatever that is), and man I look and feel SO HOT in them right now!!! - Well I think so anyway. I'm allowed, right??? Yes, I'm falling in love with myself....

What's the point of being a biker chick if you're too big to look SUPER hot (instead of regular hot)? LOL

Damn straight you're allowed to think you look hot ! Geeez ... if you don't think you're hot no one else will. Good on you !

Photo ?

• Like 1

I was just commented to my dad on how my toes have gotten longer ;) when he asked if I'd tried on any rings. I haven't worn any of my rings for a good 5 years at least, as I couldn't fit them. So I just hunted one out, and I can now wear my 'Lord of the Rings' ring again!

• Like 5

Yesterday we rode our mountain bikes 44kms over really steep dirt roads up at the Blackdown Tablelands in Qld.

Today my neck, shoulders and chest are really sore for the corrugated roads but still worth every ache.

• Like 6

Did the Weekend to End Women's Cancers walk this weekend. What an amazing experience! 845 walkers including about 50 survivors. $2.2 million raised for cancer research!

The other walkers were so inspiring to me...

Memorable moments:

- seeing 3 friends pushing an empty wheelchair in memoriam.

- seeing another group of friends take turns to push their team captain through the whole course in a wheelchair - she had organised their whole team, fundraised and trained and then broken her leg a few weeks ago! She also refused to be pushed over the finish line and got up and walked the last few 100ms on a broken leg!

- friends helping friends - a wheelchair conga line going up a hill...1 survivor being pushed in a chair by another friend who was also in a chair, being pushed by a friend who was walking

- dads in tutus walking for their daughters

- the biggest human tunnel I have ever seen to welcome the last walkers on each day, who had been out for around 9 hours.

- planting my feet on the other side of that finish line, and then promptly into an ice bath!

As I only started my fitness journey a little while ago, and I have a ligament injury in my left ankle, I thought that I could probably do about 20kms, which was 1/3 of the total distance - 60kms - so I aimed for 10kms each day.

I walked 16 kms yesterday and was thrilled that I had managed the extra 6 :)

When I woke up this morning, my ankle was in such pain that I doubted I could walk even 1km, let alone the 4 until I reached my minimum distance goal! But I just started putting 1 foot in front of the other and off I hobbled. 4kms in, I did a little happy dance that I had met my goal, then mentally and physically pushed myself to keep walking.

I managed to walk 19kms today! It took me a good 6 hours and quite a few of those kms were hobbled, but man did it feel amazing to cross that finish line knowing that I had surpassed my goal by 15kms and pushed myself much further than I thought I had the capacity for.

Even though I walked just over half what a lot of people walked, I am so proud of myself for what I see as a massive achievement! I know there is no way I could have done this 30kgs ago - I have already signed up to do the whole distance next year, so I looks like I might be doing km for kg in 2015!

My body is exhausted, but my heart is full for so many reasons! I am just so happy that I could do my part to honour the sufferers and survivors of this horrible disease and to help pave the way for future generations in the hope that they can be cancer free.

• Like 9

I just wanted to say that I'm so glad I found this thread!  Your successes and triumphs are awesome.

I hope to be adding to it at some stage :)

• Like 5

I'm buying an apartment!! Very excited and a bit unexpected as I wasn't planning on buying until later this year. My loan just got officially finalised today and settlement is now about 5 weeks away. Anyone else who lives in Sydney will understand that buying in Sydney is just crazy and now I will no longer have an anxiety attack each time I hear that the property prices have just risen x% in the past few months. I don't know how the young gen-y's and younger will ever afford to buy in Sydney. Anyway, I felt so pleased with my efforts of swooping in last minute and stealing this property from two other buyers who had been battling against each other for over a week. Basically I stalked the real estate agent down and said I can sign now for $1K more the highest offer and that move lead me to winning as the other buyers were still in the city working and couldn't sign the contract until the next day. When everyone is willing to pay about the same, it is really luck that determines who wins in the end. All it would have taken was for one of the other buyers to sign the contract for $1K higher again later that day and I would have lost. But fortunately that didn't happen and the seller signed my contract which locked them into selling to me.

• Like 15

I know what you mean, my daughter and son in law just sold their house and are In the process of purchasing. Their house went on the market on a Tuesday and was sold Thursday morning. Same with their house purchase, went on the market Saturday and they bought it that afternoon. Sydney is madness at the moment. Congrats with your new apartment, nothing like owning your own home.

• Like 1