Maxie

First appointment preparation! Dr De Lacy?

I am preparing for my first appt with Dr De Lacy. I have done the research and know others who have been successful with the band. I've read hundreds of forum posts, and watched plenty of youTube videos, and been to an information evening (though some time ago). When I am considering something as big as this, I need to know "everything" I can before I make my decision. But once I make it, I rarely change my mind. With this in mind, and decision firmly made, I want to have the surgery as soon as I am able.

I dont know what to expect from my first consult? Is there any preparations I can do to speed up the lead time?

My BMI is 37 and I have the support of my gp, who sent me for a range of blood tests already, as he said the surgeon will request them anyway.

Any comments? How long did it take most of you to go from first consult to surgery?

And thanks to everyone who has posted anything on these forums, you should know that we really appreciate your sharing!!

• Like 1

Hi Maxie From my first visit to Dr D to the surgery was about a month. I saw him twice before the op in total. Like you i wanted to research everything about the op and the living with the band. One thing i can advise is that every doctor has his own method and time schedule and Dr D is different to some here. My policy was to stick with what he told me and do as he requested and so far all has gone really well. I was only banded on 6/8 so it is early days for me as well. Good luck with your visit i look forward to hearing how you went.

Did you need to do 2 weeks of shakes?

Is there anything I can do to be prepared for my appointment?

Every surgeon is different on their pre-op diet, some make you do Optislim some don't.

I was about 3 weeks in total from seeing the surgeon to going into surgery. I didn't need blood tests only because I had had them a few weeks before with my doctor. I had to do a sleep study, have a colonoscopy (can't spell it) and also had a tube stuck down my throat to look into my tummy... but that is because I am iron deficient.

Oh I also had to get my lungs and heart tested. I later found out the reason I had to do the sleep test, heart and lungs is because my BMI is quite high... but you know what, I decided that my surgeon knew more than me, so I was going to do what he told me to get the best possible outcome.

I was banded by Mr Winnet and he is simply one of the most amazing men I've ever met.

Good luck with it all. I wish you every success!

Hi Maxie. I am going in to hospital today to have surgery under Dr. de Lacy. Like everyone else it all depends on your physical health as to what tests are done. I had the blood tests, ultra sound and sleep test before I had my second appointment where I was put on Optifast and given a surgery date. The ultra sound was to check on my liver as I have a history of having a fatty one. The sleep test showed that I had a mild sleep apnea but I haven't gone with the mask as I am claustrophobic and was told that the sleep apnea would probably diminish one I lost weight.

Good luck with your appointment and let us know how you go....any questions don't hesitate to ask. Anne.

Hi Maxie Yes i did the 2 week Opti course and had little problem with it. As far as been prepared for the appointment all i did was have a list of questions that i felt i needed the answers too, apart from that i was in his hands

Good luck Anne - how long from your first appt to you surgery?

Hi Maxie, I had my first appointment on 27th June, my sleep study in July (had to wait 2 weeks for results and I also had my sons wedding in early August so I didn't hurry the next appointment) then my next appointment was 7th August and was banded on 22nd August. I was on Optifast for just on 2 weeks. I am going overseas in late October so I wanted enough time for everything to settle down. I might have put it off until after the holiday but that was only delaying the inevitable. My husband is very supportive of my quest to lose weight over the years and it was my Dr who suggested this so it would help my joints and also the diabetes and other health issues.

Have you got your appointment date?

• Like 1

yes, 3pm today is my appt.

hope i dont need a sleep study. I've been looking into this for a few years, and have researched extensively in the past month, i have a good friend who is 2years banded (nearing 50kg lost!) and have seen the good and the bad. i've made my decision, now i just want to do it! i have plenty of upcoming work committments, so i am hoping to fit in surgery between them (maybe this is wishful thinking!).

(patience is not a strenght i have)

For anyone wh is interested, I saw dr de Lacey today and after our first consult I booked my surgery doe 2 weeks time. Dr felt I understood the implications, had done the research, and said I was a good candidate.

Will need the results of the ultrasound (tomorrow) to see if I have to go on optifast. If the results are good, then no shakes, fingers crossed!

So sept 16 is my surgery day. Super excited.

More good news. My liver is normal so. Don't need optifast before hand (unless I *want* to?).. Yay will try some shakes the week before and try the flavours, but I'll stick with my normal diet for the most part, have already lost 4kgs since my referral visit. But loosing hand always been my issue, it's keeping it off!

One small note, I have gallstones though they arent symptomatic and don't cause me much drama. The dr thinks its likely that they will get worse int the next 12 months after surgery, but we will wait and see.

Thanks for the support everyone. Feeling like this surgery was "meant to be"!!

• Like 1

What does optifast do for preparation? Why do some go on it & some don't? I have my first Dr appoint in October & can't wait. Now that I've made my decision, I want it now!!!

More good news. My liver is normal so. Don't need optifast before hand (unless I *want* to?).. Yay will try some shakes the week before and try the flavours, but I'll stick with my normal diet for the most part, have already lost 4kgs since my referral visit. But loosing hand always been my issue, it's keeping it off!

One small note, I have gallstones though they arent symptomatic and don't cause me much drama. The dr thinks its likely that they will get worse int the next 12 months after surgery, but we will wait and see.

Thanks for the support everyone. Feeling like this surgery was "meant to be"!!

Hi Maxie, I'm just organising my ultrasound now with my second consult at the end of this month & surgery at the end of August. I've hit a bit of a dilema in that I just got a second quote for surgery from Dr Donovan in Nambour and his costs were $3100 cheaper than Dr de Lacy. Are you still happy with how everything is going with your lap band? I am from Maryborough and would really like to meet others from Maryborough too. Your progress looks great but I can't see how you've gone since March 2013, I'm not real good with these websites!! Ann-Louise

• Like 1