Veggo Mumma

Tassie Bandits - Is Stephen Wilkinson your surgeon?

Hello Tassie peeps,

I am just curious if anyone who was banded by Stephen Wilkinson?

I was, and am more than happy with everything except I mentioned last time I saw him (and also to Dr Pat who did a fill for me) that I thought I could eat too much for how much fill I had but he didn't seem concerned as I don't think I had other bad symptoms that something was amiss.

However, I really would like a barium swallow I think and I;m not sure how to approach it with him. I really thought they'd want to check that everything was in place after I had my baby but no.

My fill is 6.5/10ml all the moment, and although there are plenty of things that if I have anything more than a bite then I get a stuck moment, all these foods are starchy or really carby such as bread, potatoes pretty much in any form, puff pastry, flat breads etc, and therefore stuff which is meant to be a 'sometimes' food only.

I'm just pondering though due to the Eat to Live program I am following, which is all fruit, veg, legumes and seeds and nuts pretty much this week with limited soy milk, tofu and whole grains (I have only eaten oats and brown rice).

To me it seems that I can eat really big portions of food, even though it takes me the better part of an hour if not a bit more. For example, I ate a whole pasta bowl full of salad greens with a chickpea pattie, it took two bowls of soup to fill me up another dinner, and I could drink two cups of banana & berry smoothie for brekkie without feeling particularly 'full'.

Just interested on other people's thoughts. I mean, I don't want to go in demanding to have something done if it's not necessary but the inner anxiety-ridden bandit in me hopes to god nothing's wrong and prays that I haven't got food backing up my eosphagus.

Eep!

VM

:)

Just a thought, if it takes you over an hour to eat, doesn't your stomach empty? So then you wouldn't have the full feeling??

I was told I should take about 20-30 min to eat or that would happen.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Hi VM,

Dr Pat is my surgeon and he is wonderful in terms of answering question/concerns. I guess in order to do a barium swallow they'd need to really feel it was warranted?

On your eating big portions, it's hard but do you stop eating once you no longer feel hunger (as opposed to hunting for that full feeling)? If I took it really slowly, I too could eat for an hour but I follow the 8 golden rules (though Dr Pat doesn't think it's necessary, I like rules & guidelines)

Hope I'm helping, not ranting!

Tuffy x

• Like 1

HI Tuffy,

no you aren't ranting at all! I appreciate any thoughts on the situation. I do eat more than I should, and am trying hard to stop myself from eating thus by giving myself a smaller portion, then eating fruit and drinking water afterwards and waiting to see if I am full or not.

Head hunger is a big problem for me, especially when I am sleep deprived like I am at the moment, and is something I definitely need to work on.

It takes me ages to get to that happily full but not Christmas dinner full feeling, probably about half an hour of slow chewing.

Strange but if I have lunch with a friend and am chatting over lunch, I only eat half as much and suddenly get very full.

I'm guessing because I wait several minutes between mouthfuls whereas when it's just me at home maybe it takes me a minute between?

Perhaps I need to hire a professional dining companion for each meal!

• Like 3

Hi Veggo Dr Pat is also my Dr. One thing he was very adamant on was definately no drinking with food, or at least 30 minutes after as it pushes food thru too quickly. Best wishes

• Like 1

Hey VM,

Yes it's hard to adapt isn't it.

I absolutley HATED stopping "just because" I wasn't hungry, but since I stuck to it I've really moved the numbers along (I was banded Nov 11 so I'm averaging about 500g p/w). I also found even if I took it slowly, I was one of the lucky ones who gets shoulder tip pain - it's a very weird sensation, but I'm glad it happens because it reminds you why we have surgery in the first place!

I tend to make sure I'm doing something else when I'm having dinner so I destract myself from the serving size - that's been a good way too for me to 'listen' to my hunger. I guess we all have to figure out what works for us! (not sure where you can hire a companion! haha!)

Shellyintas it's funny he's been adament about that with you - he has never said anything like that to me!

tuffy xx

• Like 1

Thank you, tuffy :)

I get a very strange sensation in my left shoulder pretty much every day but wouldn't describe it as pain - it's more tingling and numb-like.

I don't think it's related to the band but will check with Mr Wilkinson when I see him next.

Dinner tonight was a chickpea burger and a bowl of mixed salad. Started eating it at about 7 and it took me to over half 8 to finish.

It was only after an hour that I thought that I could probably stop with a third left of the bowl but I was still salivating a bit so kept on going.

Tomorrow I will try to stop when I don't fell the urge to keep eating, and see how long it is before my tummy rumbles.

Thank you for the advice :)

VM.

Hey VM,

Yes it's hard to adapt isn't it.

I absolutley HATED stopping "just because" I wasn't hungry, but since I stuck to it I've really moved the numbers along (I was banded Nov 11 so I'm averaging about 500g p/w). I also found even if I took it slowly, I was one of the lucky ones who gets shoulder tip pain - it's a very weird sensation, but I'm glad it happens because it reminds you why we have surgery in the first place!

I tend to make sure I'm doing something else when I'm having dinner so I destract myself from the serving size - that's been a good way too for me to 'listen' to my hunger. I guess we all have to figure out what works for us! (not sure where you can hire a companion! haha!)

Shellyintas it's funny he's been adament about that with you - he has never said anything like that to me!

tuffy xx

I've just had my first appt with Tony (who I assume is Dr Pat), and he told me the same thing about drinking water and to wait for 30 mins after a meal. He said once in a while - for eg when out for dinner - wasn't a drama, but not to make it a regular thing.

My Mum had originally seen Dr Wilkinson; though in the end it go to the point she couldn't keep anything down. One time we had to go back to the office, as she was throwing water up ( actually it just came straight back up, as it had been tightened to the extent nothing could get through).

In the end finally convinced her to see Dr Pande (here in launceston), and she developed severe osophegitis as the band was to tight. He was amazed she had survived and was not surprised she had been so ill. So they had to remove all fluid and wait three months for the spasming to settle before starting again.

She has just had her third adjustment, and has lost 15kg,

she can now eat without throwing up.

As long as you are happy and comfortable with your treatment, that is vital.

• Like 1

I'm with Dr Wilkinson, he is a amazing talented surgeon he is the absolutely best surgeon in Hobart. I have been over filled twice. If you can't drink simply just go back in and get fluid removed. It's at no fault from the Dr as he can't feel the restriction nor know the size of my esophagus.  I am the one that knows my body and I'm the one that knows my band and I'm the one that knows my limitations.  Being overfilled is your responsibility and this all should be discussed with Steve before the fill is done. I'm at 95% weight loss and I owe my life to this man.