Happyfrog

November 2012

40kgs down congrats BigW. I agree, the band is no quick nor easy fix. Good luck on the next 10kg for your new gw. 

Like the ink too!

Oh well I have just passed my 2 year anniversary and am very happy with my results. From 162 down to 89 kgs. I would most definately tell anyone if they are after a quick fix this is not it. I think of it as a tool to help you. I only ever had my band adjusted twice and if I wanted to I could eat a full size meal. My latest hobby is mountainbike riding, if I could go 7 days a week I would, which makes exercise a very easy part of my life now. I have had to work up to this point. I remember when we were all starting out on our optifast, and we were complaining, I think that this was actually a really good thing to get you prepared for eating right and getting the mindset that is required to lose weight. I have a friend who got done about three months ago, and she was told not to have the shakes and was pretty much rushed into the whole thing and when I spoke to her she really had no idea of what was going to be done she said she had the book but hadn't read it. I think it is these people who think you don't have to work at weight loss and it is just going to happen.

Good luck to all.

• Like 2

Hello All, Life is busy for me these days with 2 kids under 4 and working full time. I have a love hate relation ship with my band, but mostly hate at this point. My weight has steadily crept up since having my now 1 yr old and I'm on struggle street with the head games. 

I never expected this was a miracle cure, because after 5yrs research i'm well aware that it's not. I just feel defeated by it all..... I envy friends who have the band and successfully lost the weight and kept it off. 

I just don't understand why this doesn't work for me.... :( 

• Like 1

Hello All, Life is busy for me these days with 2 kids under 4 and working full time. I have a love hate relation ship with my band, but mostly hate at this point. My weight has steadily crept up since having my now 1 yr old and I'm on struggle street with the head games. 

I never expected this was a miracle cure, because after 5yrs research i'm well aware that it's not. I just feel defeated by it all..... I envy friends who have the band and successfully lost the weight and kept it off. 

I just don't understand why this doesn't work for me.... :(

You have my sympathy Ness, I'm in the same boat but right now I'm trying to get myself in the right head-space.  I cant afford to change over to a sleeve and as a public patient I don't expect my doctor will look at a change as the band has not been a medical issue in any way for me. I think it has stopped me getting any fatter though.  I know its a tool but there are times when i wish it was not there, thats not often though. I'm sure you are just so caught up with everyday life and need to concentrate on yourself more. I'm sure once you get yourself back into the right head-space you will lose the kilos.  weight loss does seem to be a never ending battle for some of us even with WLS

• Like 1

Hello all been a long time since been on here

Just been checking whats been happening in the sleeve section as im about to move on next chapter

After losing 30kg infirst year than nothing since and learning all the cheating way to get food past band

Decided to get sleeve and having to sort private health insurance and save money to pay for it

Im nervous about getting it done but only thing stop me from eating

So in may band comes out than wait 8 or 9 weeks than go in for sleeve

Hello all been a long time since been on here

Just been checking whats been happening in the sleeve section as im about to move on next chapter

After losing 30kg infirst year than nothing since and learning all the cheating way to get food past band

Decided to get sleeve and having to sort private health insurance and save money to pay for it

Im nervous about getting it done but only thing stop me from eating

So in may band comes out than wait 8 or 9 weeks than go in for sleeve

Good luck Cliff, sorry to hear about your struggles. Hope all goes well for you

I have struggled a bit too. I have been diagnosed with depression and put on 7kg in eating my troubles away. Well I'm on medication and have been feeling really good. I joined the gym in January of this year, and have been going 4 to 5 days a week. I drop the kids at school then head to the gym. I saw the personal trainer there and he has given me an exercise program to follow. So I alternate strength training with cardio training. He told me to stay away from the scales for awhile, since I'm strength training my weight would most likely go up or not change. But I noticed I have been losing weight. I have also added to my program, so up'd my walking and jogging speed and I am doing more sit-ups and a few of the other exercises aren't so hard to do anymore. So feeling really pleased with myself. Still after over two years I still forget to wait the one minute between swallows so end up pbing. But it's not a lot.

Overall I am happy with my progress. I am now the thinnest of all my sisters and they all hate me for it. But I don't care

Wishing all the mummies a very happy Mother's Day for Sunday.

• Like 3

Hi all wondering how everyone is going. I'm kind of in limbo waiting to see how I go with more fill. I had a fill a couple of days ago (first in over a year)  I'm now at 2.5 in a 10mil band (its the most Ive ever had as the band was fitted pretty tight anyway)  I noticed the difference pretty quickly. Unfortunately Ive gain back around 9 kilos from the lowest weight I got to and 5 of those kilos were in the last 9 months. Now hoping I can get back on track. aside from that the band has been no real issue, no slips or reflux or anything so its unlikely as a public patient my doctor would consider any changes.  He has said he wants to see me in six months unless I keep gaining weight. hopefully I can now get my act together and get the scales moving downwards

• Like 2

Referred to Sir Charles Gairdner in Perth for lapband Oct 2007
made the public surgery list in 2010
Moved over to Joondalup Hospital august 2012
Saw Dr Yong on 19th Oct 2012 and was given surgery date at first appointment
November 30th 2012 was banded

Hi ladyfortythree AKA Julie

Can l ask you how long you waited on the pubic list to get banded as l was reading your little info bit lol

where is Joondalup lol

Cheers Omi

Referred to Sir Charles Gairdner in Perth for lapband Oct 2007

made the public surgery list in 2010

Moved over to Joondalup Hospital august 2012

Saw Dr Yong on 19th Oct 2012 and was given surgery date at first appointment

November 30th 2012 was banded

Hi ladyfortythree AKA Julie

Can l ask you how long you waited on the pubic list to get banded as l was reading your little info bit lol

where is Joondalup lol

Cheers Omi

Hi OMI

I am in WA, Joondalup is North of the city of Perth. I live about 500ks away in Albany.  I waited five years but I'm told at Charlie gairdners hospital the wait is longer. This is why Joondalup private doctors now doing public patients. I'm told the list is still very long so not sure what its like now

• Like 1

Glad to hear you got to your appt Julie. Hope you are feeling well and the new fill is assisting in making you feel more content throughout the day!

• Like 1

Hi all, are any of you still here, its almost three years since we started this journey, wondering how everyone is doing now. I'm still struggling along, most I lost was  about 31 kilos from start of optifast, right now my loss is sitting at  23 kilos as I gained back some weight but I still keep trying. Its a never ending  weight loss struggle for me but thats life, at least Im not as big as I once was . Would love to know how you are all going

Edited by ladyfortythree AKA Julie

Hi  Julie I'm still struggling with my weight too up and down. Gained 7 kg .i have 6 ml in my band but it dosnt stop the hunger still. Can eat a lot . doesnt seem like 3 yrs 

• Like 1

Hi  Julie I'm still struggling with my weight too up and down. Gained 7 kg .i have 6 ml in my band but it dosnt stop the hunger still. Can eat a lot . doesnt seem like 3 yrs 

No it dosent, I am up and down. A little bit tired of missing out on celebrations because I tend to not be able to eat at restaurants, I throw up many times after I do, Ive got less than 2mil in my band and I never know when I'm going to be able to eat and sometimes I can eat just about anything,  exercise is an issue due to health problem but I can swim and Ive been hitting the pool 5 days a week to try and get weight off. Hoping that works.

Hi Julie & Carolyn,

I'm struggling a bit too.  The most I lost was 18kg, and I've put about 8kg back on in the past year.  Still get a lot of variation in what I can eat from day to day, which is very frustrating.  I'm convinced that my band is tighter in social situations or when I'm stressed or nervous.  I usually end up getting things stuck......but other times I can eat as much as I want.  Have had a few family dramas this year which has resulted in little to no exercise, and stress-eating.  I'm not sure putting extra fill in will fix the problem as the stuck moments will get worse.  I just hope my weight doesn't go back to where I was in November 2012.

• Like 2

Oh wow, I haven't been here for the longest time (my screen name used to be pnj). I got an email from my surgeon's clinic telling me I need to make an appointment for my three year check up and it prompted me to check out what been going on here.

I've been a pretty stable weight for around 12 months (SW: 110kg, CW: 73kg), I'd love to lose another 10kgs but if I don't, it's not the end of the world. I struggle regularly with people noticing how little I eat (I'm a secret bander), which then stresses me and forces me to eat faster than I know I should and then I end up in the bathroom! Those banders who told me no one paid attention to how little you do or don't eat evidently don't have such nosey people in their lives as I do in mine! I've resorted to stashing food off my plate into my handbag a number of times!

I often don't realise how long it takes me to eat (I know I should be stopping after 20-30 mins! But then I find myself hungry soon after!) and then 2 hours have passed and I've finally finished my food.

This banded life has certainly been an interesting one. The scars have all disappeared aside from my port scar. At my check up when I finally make my appointment, I'm considering getting some fill taken out, but I'm also scared to tempt fate with what has mostly been working for me. Something to ponder I guess.

We really have dwindled down in this little group.

• Like 2

2016 and wondering how many from this group still come on here, still have a band or have moved to other WLS. have you kept the weight off etc. Hope everyone is well. I still have the band, have regained some weight but losing again, seems to be a never ending process but thats life

• Like 1

I still pop in every now and again. I'm still banded, had a few complications from my band being to tight and battling depression and eating to many sliders and gaining over 10kg. So not good. Surgeon wasn't happy about the gain but I am now in the green zone and losing weight again so it's all going well again now. I get really sad sometimes when I cook a meal for the family and I can't eat it. Like we had hamburgers the other week and they looked so good, I still had a 'burger' as such, I put it in a wrap but it just wasn't the same. It's not very often I miss having certain things just every now and then. Or when I am having a bad food day, which is when I don't know what I want to eat and everything I look at I say what's the point it's only going to get stuck. Which is awful to think, because I'm not in the red zone anymore and everything is good. But it is really hard to get your mindset around it. I end up having soup that I made and frozen, it's thick soup so it's filling and I really enjoy it. It helps with the battle in my brain. Plus I know everything that's in it and it's totally healthy so that's a plus. 

Hello all,

How are you all? Are any of us still here?

After a very long hiatus, I am back... Weight loss has stalled big time. I'm sitting at a total loss of 32kg, but haven't lost a damn kilo since early 2015. Got married, had a wonderful honeymoon and gained 5kg which I've lost again, but I am stuck. I'm back here at my husband's urging that I reconnect, and I am contemplating my options. Honestly, I am thrilled with my loss to date, but I am desperate to lose the final 30kg, and am so over the restriction the band gives. One day I can eat bread, the next (usually around people who don't know my secret banding status) I can't! I had 6.2ml which was reduced to 5.7ml after a few weeks of awful port pain and stuck moments at every meal. My business is booming, which is great, but the stress involved doesn't work with my band.

Sorry for the ramblings... I've been quite emotional today thinking about everything... 

• Like 2

Hello all,

How are you all? Are any of us still here?

After a very long hiatus, I am back... Weight loss has stalled big time. I'm sitting at a total loss of 32kg, but haven't lost a damn kilo since early 2015. Got married, had a wonderful honeymoon and gained 5kg which I've lost again, but I am stuck. I'm back here at my husband's urging that I reconnect, and I am contemplating my options. Honestly, I am thrilled with my loss to date, but I am desperate to lose the final 30kg, and am so over the restriction the band gives. One day I can eat bread, the next (usually around people who don't know my secret banding status) I can't! I had 6.2ml which was reduced to 5.7ml after a few weeks of awful port pain and stuck moments at every meal. My business is booming, which is great, but the stress involved doesn't work with my band.

Sorry for the ramblings... I've been quite emotional today thinking about everything... 

Hi Luce so nice to see someone back,  Im in a similar position although  I have regained in total about 14 of the 32 I lost. Have just had another fill of .4 of a mil taking me to 2.2 mil in my band. My doctor has always been on the conservative side with fills. I was having issues before that fill with the band being up and down but something changed this time and its been really good so far. I went through a lot of depression over my lack of loss and asked the Dr about going to a sleeve or bypass but Im a public patient and as Im over 54 the WA government states my Dr can only now work with the surgery he has done so it means the band is here to stay, my sister had hers out and has gained 4 kilos pretty much straight away., Im working on getting my head  in the right place at the moment, doing a lot of swimming as I have some serious ankle issues and Drs want to fuse the bone in my left foot for starters, so I cant walk far like I could when I first was banded. The swimming is great  and I hope to be a lot lighter before any foot surgery happens. So I was pretty stoked to see I had lost 2.7 kilo in a week this morning.   I honestly dont think it would matter what surgery I had, I will always have a problem with food and its a constant battle with with my brain Im afraid :-)   I often wonder whats happened to all the girls in here and how their weight loss is going.  When ever i feel like crap I still remind myself Im still a lot lighter than I was before the band and try to remember how excited i was when I got to the weight Im at now 

PS I have never been able to eat bread so dont try, Im still a secret bander as well. Some of my friends just accept that I have food allergies that can sometimes cause me to avoid food or make me sick :-)

Hi everyone,

I haven't been back here for about 2 years I think but yesterday I started shakes as I feel

like I'm getting a little out of control. I was 115kg at surgery and got down to 80.7kg, I'm now 87 and have just been diagnosed with high blood pressure and have been put on mess, so I have to do something about this. Need to reign myself back in.

I HATE the feeling of my port and hate it being injected with fill even more so I'm dreading going back to ask for more as I feel I need this to help me get back on track, haven't seen my dr in 2 years.

my lapband has been one of the best things I have done, but I feel like it can be easily undone in the next year or so if I don't get a handle on it!

btw I'm now the luckymum of 3 

Was so nice to come back on here and see a few of the same names again, hope you're going well xx

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I haven't been back here for about 2 years I think but yesterday I started shakes as I feel

like I'm getting a little out of control. I was 115kg at surgery and got down to 80.7kg, I'm now 87 and have just been diagnosed with high blood pressure and have been put on mess, so I have to do something about this. Need to reign myself back in.

I HATE the feeling of my port and hate it being injected with fill even more so I'm dreading going back to ask for more as I feel I need this to help me get back on track, haven't seen my dr in 2 years.

my lapband has been one of the best things I have done, but I feel like it can be easily undone in the next year or so if I don't get a handle on it!

btw I'm now the luckymum of 3 

Was so nice to come back on here and see a few of the same names again, hope you're going well xx

Hope all is going well for you, after my last fill I was able to eat even more, strange, looking to head back to the surgeon soon, Im still trying, I live in hope that I can get my act together and still drop this weight, Id be happy just to be under 100KG