Happyfrog

November 2012

I intend to keep the surgery to myself if possible. I don't intend on telling anyone until after it's done at the very least, then I might consider telling a close friend or two. I'm normally a very private and guarded person, and the choice I've made to have surgery is very much a private and personal one. So now I've got my date, I've got to work out what surgery related story to tell work...I know there's a whole thread related to stories you can use, I'll have to browse and find my favourite :)

• Like 2

Wow Trina, I'd throttle him! How dare he say anything. I hate that people feel it's ok to comment. It's so not.

I'm telling people it's an umbilical hernia repair OP, and that I'm seeing a dietician. I don't think anyone will really notice changed eating habits at work, our if they do, they won't comment. I've only been here three months, so it's still a bit new. My good friends have never said anything about my weight- even when I lost 20 kg a few years ago... They love me for me, size 20 or 10.

I am going to tell one friend as my mother told her mother. I'm seeing her tonight, so will get it over and done with then.

Definitely not telling the in laws!! The entire world would know it before I'd even finished saying it! Bad previous experience with my Ms diagnosis being discussed with extended family I have met once. Very upsetting experience which has resulted in me not having very much to do with them whilst I learn to forgive them. I know it sounds petty, but it really hurts that they feel they can share such shitty news about me with their relatives in a Christmas newsletter. Rant over! Possibly why I feel the way I do about your brother in law, Trina.

• Like 1

Thought i would share with my fellow November bandits

I had a wonderful evening, my sister and her family and my mum and dad surprised me with an early birthday dinner. I am 29 tomorrow and they had planned to have it tomorrow but my sister and her hubby have a very busy work day tomorrow in Canberra (they own a cleaning business) so they moved it to today.

My dad said that since i will still be on a special diet at Christmas time that he wanted to give me a birthday party.

I didn't expect anything at all and it was a wonderful surprise that i felt the need to share with you guys.

• Like 3

Today I booked in for surgery with Dr Anderson at Flinders Private (Adelaide) on November 28. Still haven't decided what I'm going to say to work, or other people. I've only just moved to Adelaide from Canberra, so I don't have too many friends down here yet, and nobody knows me very well anyway.

Told a few close friends and family members who live interstate. Unfortunately, Mum has already started blabbing to the wider family. Sigh.

I'm super excited to be taking the plunge though! The family can gossip away - I don't care!

• Like 2

What a lovely surprise Trina, and I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow! I think that's one thing most of us November bandits have in common, Christmas this year will be very lean! When I saw my surgeon today, he even mentioned that I'd be due for my first fill right on Christmas.

• Like 1

Oh what a lovely surprise, Trina!

Telling my friend went really well. She was so supportive and said she can't wait to go shopping with me. She even out my surgery date in her calendar, bless!

• Like 1

Hi everyone, can I join?

Tentatively looking at the first week in November, my insurance rolls over the 25/10/12, but I think I'd like to do it the first week.

• Like 1

Welcome optimus!

And happy birthday Trina! Hope your family spoils you and you have a wonderful day. :-)

• Like 1

Welcome Optimus you are more than welcome to join us the more the merrier :)

Thanks Lucy I had an awesome day, Kasey (my 2 q/2 year old daughter) was perfectly behaved today, kids have been so good this afternoon.

And i was very spoilt with prezzies

I have added to the first post the names and dates of the novmeber bandits. :) will add more names and dates as we get more

I have added to the first post the names and dates of the novmeber bandits. :) will add more names and dates as we get more

Thanks so much Trina, looks great seeing us all in a list. I have to call the dietician next week to get in for an appointment. My surgeon has told me its up to her how long I am on optfast for, which I thought was strange. Last time I had my band in I did 3weeks, my surgeon is very fussy

• Like 1

When I saw my surgeon this week, he got me to lie down and he had a poke around my stomach to feel the size of my liver. He didn't say anything about it, or about optifast. As I was leaving the appointment room I asked him how my liver felt, and he said a little enlarged, but that will go away. So I'm not entirely sure if I have to optifast or not! Will need to call and ask, as far as I know I'm not going to see him again until the surgery date.

• Like 1

My surgeon hasn't sent me to a dietician or psychologist so not sure if he does afterwards or not, he follows the pre op in the 'knife fork and band' book.

i thought the list was a good idea too :)

Sounds like you had a great birthday Trina! And thanks for the welcome.

I was just saying to my husband the other day that Boxing day is technically going to be my first day of normal food... I think I might have to make an exception a nibble on some turkey the day before. :-)

• Like 2

Wow... I think you might be allowed a nibble of turkey.... A nibble is probably all we will all manage! Personally I look forward to not being in a food coma on Christmas day! It'll be freshing to not feel obliged to try a little of everything. I'm still not sure how I'm going to get this by my nosey in laws... I guess I'll figure it out!

How is everyone going with the lead up? I have a dietician appointment on the 3rd October, but have already sussed my optifast options. I'm buying a cheap bullet style blender and will have frozen berries ready to make my shakes a little tastier.

I went for a walk at cape naturaliste lighthouse in dunsborough yesterday and am feeling the pain today... I can't wait to be more comfortable doing bush walks and being a little more outdoorsy with my partner. I was huffing and puffing most unattractively, red and sweaty. Yuck! It was beautiful though... Humpback whales playing in the cove!

• Like 1

I figured i would just take it easy on christmas day, after all it is the only day of the year we all let our hair down lol. we just have to be careful. maybe have sips of water with our meal or something. i think i will be missing out on chicken and turkey though as my sister in law always over cooks chicken and it is usually dry as.

so since we are meant to be having christmas with hubby's sister and her family i had to explain to her that i would be 6 weeks post op so i should be on a almost totally normal diet, but she didnt sound to impressed when i told her, so hubby is going to question her and if she is hesitant or her body language says she doesnt want to bother then he is going to tell her we wont be there. Or they can come here and I will make christmas dinner that way i can cater for me.

I have the kmart version of the magic bullet, my mum bought it for me a few month back it is awesome for making the optifast shakes with ice cubes.

I was looking at optifast today, the chemist down in the little mall near me has the 8 packs on special and you get a free shaker with every box you purchase, i am thinking of getting 1 x 21 pack box and 3 x 8 pack boxes as the 8 pack the shakes are larger i have worked it all out and in my brain it works lol. as i have read that people with a higher bmi tend to feel hungry fairly quickly between shakes so thought it might be worth using the larger shakes at the beginning and the smaller shakes at the end, see in my head it makes sense but reading that i'm not so sure hahahah

i am ringing the clinic tomorrow to get the direct deposit details and a reference number so i can start to pay for my surgery, since i can only direct deposit $1000 per day. it will all start to feel very real then i think.

I need to get onto releasing my super (I'm going to pay the gap with it). My surgeon's office said they'd send out the letter I need to apply, and then I can just take that to my GP to copy so the wording is all correct. I know that I can download a form from DHS that my GP can fill out, but I figure, the surgery has done this so many times before, I'll go with the method they suggest. But at this stage I've not received my letter from them, I'm getting anxious, I might call tomorrow and see where it's at. I don't want to get to the date and not have the $ to actually have it done!

• Like 1

Went tot the chemist yesterday and got my Optifast, and they inform me that the 21pack only comes in chocolate and vanilla and the 8 pack only comes in coffee, strawberry and banana. Optifast have had a total revamp, i thought it was rather weird not to offer vanilla and chocolate in the smaller packs but i spoze they look at there sales.

Also rang the clinic and got the bank details so i can pay for my surgery and i asked her if there were any more costs other than my hcf excess and the surgery cost and she told me that the anesthetist has changed how he charges and there could be a cost there but she isn't sure. The reason i asked her is Kasmopolitan another Bandit on this forum got banded at Bowral on Wednesday just gone and the anesthetist rang her the day before her surgery and quoted her $1500 and the payment is due within 30 after the surgery. I am greatful for her telling ,me as atleast i have almost 2 months notice, poor kas didnt get that kind of notice.

So thats me in a nutshell lol.

I need to get onto releasing my super (I'm going to pay the gap with it). My surgeon's office said they'd send out the letter I need to apply, and then I can just take that to my GP to copy so the wording is all correct. I know that I can download a form from DHS that my GP can fill out, but I figure, the surgery has done this so many times before, I'll go with the method they suggest. But at this stage I've not received my letter from them, I'm getting anxious, I might call tomorrow and see where it's at. I don't want to get to the date and not have the $ to actually have it done!

How did you get on? did you get the letter?

You can always buy the Optifast online at the Optifast website. Not sure how it works out price wise, but I work such long days that popping to the Chemist is for scripts and researching everything under the sun happens online! I think I'll be buying some of the banana, as I really like banana flavoured lollies etc. Probably chocolate, despite not really liking chocolate flavoured things, and might try turning the vanilla into other flavours with diet jelly sachets, coffee and other flavourings. I still haven't tried those shakes Trina- I keep meaning too, but we're renovating our kitchen and I cannot find the damn blender!!

I have been diligently putting money aside from my pay each fortnight and now have enough cash to pay everything I need to pay for the surgery. I had my blood test (three attempts to bleed me!) but haven't heard anything, so assume they were normal, or close enough. Next step is my nutritionists appointment on the 3rd, and I'll have to pay for the surgery then too.

I keep looking at clothing, because it's starting to warm up here and I am without a corporate summer wardrobe having come from uniform into non-uniform. I just don't know what to buy! Obviously it needs to fit now, but I'd like to be able to get some wear out of the pieces as I decrease in size, so I'm not constantly shelling out a few hundred dollars for corporate apparel! Is anyone else struggling with this?

On a positive note, I'm down to six weeks, four days and getting excited!

xox

• Like 1

Im in a similar situation to you re wardrobe and I'm currently shopping in recycled clothing stores op shops and EBay you can find some really nice quality items and it's a fun outing too I've saved hundreds so far and having gone from a size 24 to 18 in. A very short time I really recommend not buying to much. In just two days out shopping I managed to get about ten great outfits from size 20 to 14 I'm not letting any bargains slip through my hands and I've only spent about $200 it would cost me at least that much for one outfit new good luck oh yeah and heaps of sales on at the moment have bout a few 12 and 14 for next winter dirt cheap

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip Ali. I was thinking of looking in the op-shops for some pieces as I shrink, but wasn't sure what to do about now. I also don't want to spend a fortune. I've got a big holiday coming up in March that I will need all of my spare pennies for!

• Like 1

I highly recommend online shopping!

www.asos.com has a plus-size range, and is pretty cheap. Especially going into Summer - you could probably pick up a few cheapy cotton or jersey dresses to get you through whilst the kilos are dropping off! And never forget how handy a belt can be with an oversized loose-fitting dress!

I haven't had too many problems with sizing - take your measurements and compare to their sizing guide and you really can't go wrong.

If you want some more recommendations for online shopping, I have them! :-)

• Like 1

YAY!! Welcome Carolyn1963, i will add you to the list :D

i have my chest xray booked in for the end of october and my bloods i dont need to book in just arrive at pathology, Doc asked me not to get them done to early about 3 weeks prior otherwise if they are done to early they will just have to do them again.

made my first payment yesterday to the clinic since i live 45 mintues away i am direct depositing it but my limit on my bank is $1000 per day so have to pay it off.

for some reason hitting the confirm payment button i was slightly nervous, i think it was the realization that this is it, once the money is paid it confirms everything lol

• Like 1