Happyfrog

November 2012

Hi all, I just got home, I have read thru a few posts but not to many,

Everything went well, i had a small hiatus hernia next to the esophagus(sp?) which had to be fixed, I have 5 incisions one right up between my boobs, no bra for me :( (tmi lol) 2inch one above my belly button, a small one the right and a small one to the left and one further around my left side. Finding breathing a bit hard, but Dr Ho said thats normal after the hernia repair. Shoulder pain has subsided to a degree, was super painful when i woke yesty. Found the chemist has panadine that is dissolvable so bonus there lol.

Barium Swallow this morning and the band is working perfectly, so soup for a week then onto thicker yogurt type consistancy for 1 to 2 weeks then puree/mash with 'bits' as i was told lol. then soft foods so at weeks 5/6 i should be on normal foods.

I was the only bariatric patient for that day and i was done at 8.30am.

Sparky - had a giggle when i saw you called me trini all my hubby's family call me trini :)

if i have missed anyone on the list on page 1 let me know

• Like 4

Glad to hear that it all went well Trina I'm checked into 'paradise' and won't be too far away my turn. Talk soon good luck to others for today

• Like 1

Glad to hear you're well, Trina! I was a little worried to not have heard from you yesterday... :)

• Like 1

Welcome Nathan and good to hear from you Trina,

Today I decided to go see the new twilight movie!

It was great, but I didn't really think through all the stairs! I sat about halfway up and was puffing when I got there, and the movie I loved and was sorta excited it was so good and now I'm paying for it because I'm a bit short of breath lol

Nothing serious but feeling it just the same and I only had a couple of sips of my juice I bought with me. So I need to get something in to me now. And perhaps a nanna nap lol

• Like 1

Just letting you all know im alive and well on the otherside of surgery from this morning. Being monitored pretty close cuz mu blood pressure is low. They said if it stays low they might give me a transfusion, otherwise my pain level is fine unless i try to move my abdomen, and im very tired and groggy. But i did it! Im also starving lol and only woke up to write this cuz i heard the tea tray. Went straight past me tho. Going back to sleep :)

• Like 7

it took me a bit to wake up, and i couldnt see properly, very blurry, and then i just couldnt seem to get my username and password to work on my phone to update you all.

• Like 1

So happy to hear about everyone's successful surgeries! It makes me feel more excited than anxious!

I am on day 2 of Opti and I don't much like it. Could barely stomach the shake this morning - had to take it with me to work and get it down over a thirty minute period. The chocolate dessert (lunch) was GROSS! I am just soooo grateful that I get to eat real food for dinner - the prospect of eating grilled fish and some stirfried vegies tonight got me through the other two meals.

Fortunately I'm not very hungry! I am very grateful for that. Oh, and the scales went down 1.5 kilos overnight - most of which will be water, but a loss is a loss... is a loss, is a loss, is a loss.

12 more days to go.

• Like 3

My eyes were also very blurry, Trina. For a long time afterwards too... Isn't anaesthetic strange!

It'll be here before you know it, Kately... And then you'll never have to drink another optifast again! I don't intend to!

• Like 3

Wow!!! Have missed so much since monday...

Welcome to all the newbies and to all the newly banded, hope your all recovering well :)

So i had my band in on monday, was told to arrive at 12 which i did to be greeted with ohh we've been waiting for you and was wizzed in,

had some bloods taken and had one person after another come in and talk to me and before i knew it i was in the op room being prepped so

really had no time for nerves to set in, must say the staff at the Alfred are amazing!!

My Doc said op went well although i was in recovery for 7 hours due to problems with anethetic, found out that night that doc found a hernia so had that repaired

at same time, guess ive been lucky havent had any shoulder pain, have had some incision pain but have only had panadol on the first day after op and nothing since so again guess ive been really lucky, i have however had some gas pain but have been taking degas constantly and find that works really well....

I wasnt allowed to have anything to drink until after my Barium swallow with was done the next day at 11 once the test results were back i was allowed water stayed an hour or so to make sure i kept it down an was then allowed to leave..

Have a very noisey tummy but im still not hungry yet, just sipping water and last night sipped on half a glass of opti with no trouble...I take nexium and blood pressure tablets and have had

no problem swallowing them at all...also no problems burping!! and had plenty of them :P

So all in all i think ive been one of the lucky ones :)

Wishing everyone getting banded today and tomorrow the best of luck and hope you recover quickly...

Are you sure you still need nexium ? The hernia would have been causing the heartburn/ reflux. I was on it but since having hernia fixed and band have not taken one tablet and all great.

• Like 1

Welcome Nathan :)

Glad to hear you're okay Trina, Was wondering if everything was okay? Leanne, hopefully you will have an okay night now you're stabilised. Anesthetics do weird stuff to our bodies.

Luce how are you tracking?

I'm suffering from wind pain like you wouldn't believe today! I'm hopeless and can't burp so that's not working for me :( Have sent my hubby out for movicol because I'm a bit worried I'm going to end up bunged up shortly. Feeling a bit sorry for myself

Glad to hear your're ok Trina, and welcome to the forum Nathan.

Today I went back to see my surgeon as I was having difficulty breathing and major pains in my sternum area. His initial thought was that my 4ml band may have been a bit more than I could handle and he emptied it completely to give me better

comfort when taking liquids and tablets etc, and will make eating foods easier for me.

I still have abdomen pain and nausea, but its not terrible. My biggest frustration is feeling the need to do a big burp and being completely unable to do one.

The morning of the surgery I was 112kgs and the morning after when I weighed myself once home again I was 114kgs and a bit disappointed....how could I have put on 2kgs when I'd eaten nothing and only sipped water?

I put it down to some swelling and inflammation maybe, but the good this was I was back to 112 this morning.

Foodwise I'm only eating clear soup and drinking water. Next week which is exactly one week after my op on the tuesday I get to have mushy food and cannot wait for scrambled eggs, some custard and also a treat like some KFC mashed potato and gravy (a small one of course :P )

Oh snowy. You're banned from scales for at least a week post op. Swelling is those extra kilos! Trust me.

I'm doing well. Feeling much, much better, and even the pain with burping has eased, so I'd say I'm rid of most of the gas now. Haven't taken any pain relief during the day for a couple of days now, only taking some at night as I find trying to settle and be comfortable a bit difficult. I'm able to sleep on my right side now, pillow between my legs, but the left (my preferred side ) is still a little tender. Passing the week mark, I think things definitely started getting much better, do hold tight, ness!

Using the time off work to online Christmas shop and get my uni work up to speed. Don't really want to return on Monday... Still, it's a must, unfortunately, as I've exhausted all my leave for the op.

• Like 2

I have to say, besides being really tired, i feel okay. I do have that need to burp but cant feeling which i guess is just the gas. No nausea or shoulder tip pain. Been sipping water and apple juice and had some clear broth for dinner. Up until then (about 5) i was starving as i hadnt eaten since 8pm last night. I had a few sips of juice and soup and the hunger went away. Just taken some panadeine forte as i was starting to feel a little discomfort in my port area. Now om fine. I got dressed in my own clothes earlier and walked to go to the loo. Nurses keep checking my vitals. Little surprised no doctors or surgeons have come to see me and talk about how the surgery went. Good obviously as im still alive lol. Im just reading in bed, but my eyes are starting to droop so i think it will be bedtime for mevery soon.

• Like 2

I have to say, besides being really tired, i feel okay. I do have that need to burp but cant feeling which i guess is just the gas. No nausea or shoulder tip pain. Been sipping water and apple juice and had some clear broth for dinner. Up until then (about 5) i was starving as i hadnt eaten since 8pm last night. I had a few sips of juice and soup and the hunger went away. Just taken some panadeine forte as i was starting to feel a little discomfort in my port area. Now om fine. I got dressed in my own clothes earlier and walked to go to the loo. Nurses keep checking my vitals. Little surprised no doctors or surgeons have come to see me and talk about how the surgery went. Good obviously as im still alive lol. Im just reading in bed, but my eyes are starting to droop so i think it will be bedtime for mevery soon.

glad its all over for you now, so bet you will be happy to have something other than optifast :-)

Leanne, my surgeon came to see me the next morning. Hope you sleep well.

Its about 11pm, im awake because somebody else on this ward (high dependancy Unit) may have died. I heard running not long ago and just now at shift change heard the nurses leaving saying "number 6 is gone". very sad and a little scary.

Hi Leanne, yes that must have been worrying for you :(

I hope you are feeling better soon, hang in there it will get better!

Try to rest, enjoy the attention and drugs because when you leave you won't get the good stuff xx

They keep waking me up to chevk my vitals. They made me put oxygen back on cuz my stats had dropped and they keep telling me my BP is low. Wondering if they will even let me go home tomorrow at this rate.

well sleep last night was interesting to say the lease, i asked DH for a few more pillows and he had pillows coming from everywhere i didnt think we owned so many lol. Kasey decided that she had to fall asleep next to me there was no right or wrong about it, 2 nights without mummy is a big first for her.

Right shoulder pain is still there, hopefully it goes away today. still a bit of pain to breathe but havent had any painkillers for a while now so think that is pretty good. Might get some nurofen liquid caps today, crushing the tablets is disgusting lol. DH had a giggle those degas tablets work wonders LMAO and i only took 1 my belly has stopped making funny noises, KAsey told me last night i was hungry and i needed to eat so offered me her sausage sandwich god love her, so i showed her my soup and she said thats drink not food, cant believe she is 3 on thursday. :)

Has anyone else been really itchy down there back and bum (tmi soz) i feel i am ripping at my skin it is so itchy, i thought it may be because of all the laying around and stuff

• Like 2

Anesthetic can make you itchy and yes I was for a little while lol

• Like 1

I am feeling a bit tender and think still swollen as I jumped 1 kilo. Went to work yesterday but the mum is helping me with the lifting. Still I was on the floor lots playing so think I need to be more careful. Have mums help today and next week before she starts work herself.

I ate a little too much the other day and I could not sleep as my tummy seemed heavy.

Think my stitches have dissolved? I can't feel the one that was poking out any more.

Good luck for anyone Today, sorry I've only caught up on posts today.

Welcome Nathan

• Like 1

OMG its getting real now.....Op is MONDAY I so hope my surgeon doesn't have a heavy weekend!!!! Hospital just rang I am first up, luckily for me

they don't want me there until 7.30am so a lie in!!!

I'm not sure how I feel at the moment, probably disorganised would be a good one. I am not prepared at all, need to sort myself out this weekend.

My last day at work is tomorrow so hopefully plenty of time to do washing and sort my bag out!

• Like 3