Happyfrog

November 2012

Hamster, your fears are totally normal. This is surgery number 6 for me, but the first few had me teary. I still have the conversation with my partner prior to surgery... Tell him I love him and if I die, I want him to meet someone else and do all the things we wanted to do together, etc. he always rolls his eyes at me, but I think it's important he know. Like Trina said, if it makes you feel better to do a journal, do one.

My Mum keeps asking me what on earth she is going to feed me on Sunday nights post surgery... My response is a huge grin and "not very much!" Excited my portions will be so much smaller... Think of all the money we'll save on grocery bills!

Hamster, your fears are totally normal. This is surgery number 6 for me, but the first few had me teary. I still have the conversation with my partner prior to surgery... Tell him I love him and if I die, I want him to meet someone else and do all the things we wanted to do together, etc. he always rolls his eyes at me, but I think it's important he know. Like Trina said, if it makes you feel better to do a journal, do one.

My Mum keeps asking me what on earth she is going to feed me on Sunday nights post surgery... My response is a huge grin and "not very much!" Excited my portions will be so much smaller... Think of all the money we'll save on grocery bills!

Yes Hamster your feeling and fears are normal we all get them. I'm nervous too and my surgery isn't till the 29th of November. I've had 3 lots of anesetic this year already. Plenty of support here in this forum.

• Like 1

Yes thanks to you Trina .I did it again I was adding the wrong thing to my signature .im not ready to start a weight loss one as I have gained weight and am too scared to hop on a scale. I will haven to do it soon but.

• Like 1

i need to change mine lol, i sadly have put on weight due to my stupid family and there attacking me that i was comfort eating :( but haven't done it since deciding to wipe them from my life :)

• Like 1

Hello Fellow November bandits!

I'm Ness from Sydney and being banded by Dr Taylor at the O'Clinic on November 12th. This is my 3rd attempt over the last 12 months to have a band. 1st time I just downright chickend out, 2nd time my (now 22month old) son was in hospita, he's since had surgery and is healthy again :)

I'm very excited and nervous but oddly this time aroundI feel ready for it....

• Like 2

Welcome Ness!

Now I'm going to have to get onto a ticker...

• Like 2

welcome Ness on a mission you are now on our growing list, its great to see more and more people joining us :)

• Like 1

who knew that working out my pre op menu would be so confusing lol, my piece of paper looks a total mess lol

• Like 1

Mine too! I was also trying to work out what my partner is going to eat whilst I'm recovering, as he's not much of a cook, and is prefer him to eat well and not resort to pizza and kebabs every night. I have shopping lists, to do lists and reminder notes everywhere... Chaos.

I told him I was not going to be cooking pasta etc when I was on optifast, so I have only two weeks to get his meals sorted. Doesn't sound complicated, but we have been renovating our kitchen, and currently are without a bench top, oven our stove top. The plan is to get the oven plumbed in next week... Cutting it fine, if you ask me!

• Like 1

thankfully hubby is a reasonable cook lol, but i will have to supervise lol as he is also going to be cooking for the kids. i dont mind cooking anything during the optifast stage, i have done it before when i was doing rapid loss etc so it hopefully wont bother me to much, if it does hubby can cook it lol.

i have just written up my 2 week menu and sorted the shopping list into 2 lots, week 1 and week 2 we get paid fortnightly so i'm not used to working the shopping out weekly lol, but i do get the veges weekly so it wasnt to bad.

i think i have it covered, with my diet being the one in the 'knife, fork and band' book i reffered to the menus for most of the recipes i also got a recipe from the pre op recipes on this forum and also a basic salad with allowed veges. reading the recipes and listing the vegies it is amazing how many different ones there are, i'm not a big vege eater and have only been eating most veges in the past 7 or 8 years, grew up eating meat and potatoes. and have recently in the last 1-2 years started eating salad, so it will be interesting how i go being restricted.

Are you on two or three replaced meals, Trina? I'm on breakfast, morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea with unlimited veg and a palm sized piece of protein or two eggs.

I'm planning on doing things like stir fry, steak and salad, fish and veg, roasts, frittatas... Variety! Roasts can also be frozen for my partner. Not his favourite meal, but I do enjoy a good roast!

Once I've got some of my uni work out of the way, I'll get a little more organised. Stress dreams a plenty at the moment...!

i replace 3 meals a day, but i can have 2-3 pieces of fruit from an allowed list a day and a small meal at lunch and dinner from the allowed vegetables with the optifast.

Firstly, hi Ness, your story is similar to mine in that this is the third time I've looked at getting the band. Let's hope this time is the charm!

I work full time so I have not as yet had any time to dwell on the surgery, or shopping lists or anything really. My kids are all capable of cooking and we all share the job so all is good there, and I guess I'll just do a big online shop before the op and make sure I've got plenty of liquids for me. I wouldn't get too carried away with recipes because you'll be on liquids and then mashies before getting into the normal foods again. I'm planning on just going with the flow lol

Hubby is taking a week off so he can do all the housework and looking after me so I'm all set!

I've been concentrating on moving more so I'm walking 30 mins now as of this week, and there will be no alcohol from now until way after my op. I want to make things as easy on myself afterwards as possible and that means preparing now.

Also, it's not going to feel real to me until after I see my dr on the 24th and he tells me it's a go, because ive been there before and been disappointed. In feb I was booked in for the op but surgeon wouldn't do it because I was anemic. I had to have tests. They were ok, but still the low iron is unexplained. So I'm having my bloods done again and hopefully it is better because I've been taking iron tablets. Fingers crossed!

Mel.

• Like 2

Well countdown has started 3weeks to go living on milkshakes and veggies.

• Like 1

I went in today to hospital to have a colonoscopy, the Dr is my Lap Band doctor and he is great so reassuring. There was a lady that went in for surgery just before me and was still in recovery when I came out a couple of hours later, she was in a little pain but still had a smile on her face. Having had the band before it is not as daunting as it was the first time as I sort of know what to expect. I just dont like the hospital stay. My doc is a fan of having you stay longer than necessary up to 3 nights, im hoping to get out after two. From reading this forum I have seen people discharged on the same day if not early the day after, seems so quick. How long does everyone expect to be in hospital?

I've been told one night in hospital, again, provided everything goes well. It's a shame... In hospital someone makes your bed, brings you food and never ending teas and coffees, friends buy you flowers and someone cleans the bathroom. At home, I'm the only one to do all of the above!

I'm most worried about sleeping comfortably... When I had my laparoscapy a couple of years ago, they kept me in for two nights, but I remember sleeping was really uncomfortable at home. Getting in and out was the biggest issue... You use so many tummy muscles to do such simple actions! I'm going to raid my house of pillows and have them all ready to go.

I was told one night in hospital, assuming all goes well. I know I was rushed out of hospital after my caesar, when I didnt feel I was ready yet, so I'm hoping this doesn't happen for this. I know what to expect (I think) with pain relating to moving because I did that before, even though I know its in a different area.