Happyfrog

November 2012

Surgery day tomorrow. How the time flies! So nervous, and if I'm honest...scared. I've never had surgery of any kind. I'm sure it will all be fine. Just look at the results from everyone who has already been banded this month. Still, doesn't ease my nerves too much at this stage! Eeeeek!

good luck pnj, we have the same amount to lose, and my surgery is Wednesday, how about a race to the finish, ahh wait, that would not be fair , you have 2 days head start....hahaa......seriously, just breathe, that is what I am telling myself :)
  • Like 1

this isn't really replying to a particular post but I just thought I'd check in with everyone and see if i'm progressing normally....

I was banded on Fri 23rd , stayed in hospital overnight and am now feeling pretty good. A little pain obviously but nothing too serious. My doctor/surgeon when he came around to check up on me said that I really wouldn't get hungry and that I shouldn't need to drink a lot. Anyway, since I've been home, especially today, I've been sipping water and juice but I have found that I'm actually getting hunger pangs.... not huge ones, just that I need something a little heavier like custard or soup to fill me up. I have a few spoonfuls and then I'm fine. Is this normal?? I feel almost like I'm going against doctor's orders....

Tess :)

Surgery day tomorrow. How the time flies! So nervous, and if I'm honest...scared. I've never had surgery of any kind. I'm sure it will all be fine. Just look at the results from everyone who has already been banded this month. Still, doesn't ease my nerves too much at this stage! Eeeeek!

good luck, I'm a tad nervous too, I don't know why, I've had three major surgeries but its been around 24 years since the last one

• Like 1

Thanks for the well wishes guys...I can see it's going to be a rather sleepless night for me! Have to be at the hospital at 6 or 6:30am....I can't remember so I figure I'll just rock up at 6! Can't find it written down on anything, I think my surgeon wrote it on the hospital admission for which I sent in to the hospital!

• Like 1

Hi Tessey. I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help regarding the hunger, as my hunger was all head hunger. it's only now, three weeks post op that I regularly feel hunger. I'm not the norm though, by any means.

I'd say the hunger is normal if you're only drinking water and juice-there's nothing in there to keep you going. I was told to have a protein based liquid six times per day in half cup quantities, plus unlimited tea, coffee, water, diet cordial, but limit the juice to half a cup per day.

That said, I would recommend you call your surgeons rooms and check what they say.

• Like 1

Hi Tessey. I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help regarding the hunger, as my hunger was all head hunger. it's only now, three weeks post op that I regularly feel hunger. I'm not the norm though, by any means.

I'd say the hunger is normal if you're only drinking water and juice-there's nothing in there to keep you going. I was told to have a protein based liquid six times per day in half cup quantities, plus unlimited tea, coffee, water, diet cordial, but limit the juice to half a cup per day.

That said, I would recommend you call your surgeons rooms and check what they say.

this isn't really replying to a particular post but I just thought I'd check in with everyone and see if i'm progressing normally....

I was banded on Fri 23rd , stayed in hospital overnight and am now feeling pretty good. A little pain obviously but nothing too serious. My doctor/surgeon when he came around to check up on me said that I really wouldn't get hungry and that I shouldn't need to drink a lot. Anyway, since I've been home, especially today, I've been sipping water and juice but I have found that I'm actually getting hunger pangs.... not huge ones, just that I need something a little heavier like custard or soup to fill me up. I have a few spoonfuls and then I'm fine. Is this normal?? I feel almost like I'm going against doctor's orders....

Hi Tess

Sounds to me like your right on track, I was banded in tues 20th and started soups on the Thursday, I have 3 cups of thicker liquid a day (soup, smoothy or something from the "knife, fork band" liquid phase section book) then as much water, tea, low cal cordial etc etc etc as I want. I'm not feeling hunger pains as such, but definitely a need for something to "fill" my tummy rather than water.

Sounds like you came through really well, wish you the best of luck!

Tess i was the same, i felt hungry only 3 or 4 days post op, my doc told me my swelling was going down faster then some in my stomach area. And only a few spoonfuls would fill me up.

good luck today everyone being banded

• Like 1

Good Morning!

Well, back to work I go today, sort of glad because I was getting pretty bored, but still also wish I could crawl back into bed right now. Ive just been for my first morning walk since banding, I like to do it at 5am because it is so hot here at the moment. Back into a routine, and I'm hoping to kick start my weight loss again as it has now stalled since Ive started having mushies.

Last night I had a roast dinner! mushed up of course, but it tasted just as good. :P

I went to a hen's party on Saturday night and had about 3 drinks over 4 hours, 2 glasses of wine and a sangria. yummm never had one of those before! There were snacks etc, but none that I could have and there was ice-cream and brownies for dessert, but I steered clear of those as well. I thought the calories in the drinks was enough for me for the night.

I am having my first fill and doctor visit on the 2nd December and I am looking forward to it as I was told before the op that I have no fill at the time the band was put in and although I am keeping to small portions, I am eating quite regularly. Yesterday I started with some baked beans, then lunch was some mushed up tinned ravioli and I had some diet jelly a couple of hours after that and then roast dinner as well. Ive been sipping on water with lemon and I have been having a berocca each morning as well. Eggs are a favourite as well.

I have healed really well, and unless I bend over the wrong way or lean up against something I can hardly feel my wounds now either.

So, now the count down to my next lot of holidays starts, I get 10 days over Christmas. What are you all planning to do on Christmas day? My whole family seems to be pretty unenthusiastic this year so have no idea what we are doing lol My two youngest are travelling to their Dad's on Christmas eve so that will leave me, my hubby and eldest. No idea what Im going to eat either. Have you thought about it??

Ideas would be welcome lol I have not even done any Christmas shopping because I'm going to do most after Christmas as the kiddies wont be here and take advantage of the Boxing day sales lol.

Anyway, enough waffling from me, I hope you are all doing well, and good luck to those being banded today and this week. This month has certainly flown by for me, as will the rest of the year I think.

Cheers,

Mel xx

Hi Tess

I was told unlimited fluids of any kind and so I had yogurt in day 2, soup, custard as well as protein drinks etc

Didn't have any issue whatsoever and was not hungry in my whole week of liquids.

Others may vary but this worked for me.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Thought I would pop in and let you all know what's been going own as I haven't since the 15 was my banding date.

Surgery went well and smooth, took a little while longer than normal as I had had a band about 3 years ago and there was lots do scar tissue. The next day, Friday things went downhill very quickly. I was rushed back into the operating theatre over at our public hospital, they are joined. I remember lying on the operating table for a couple of hours as no one could get a line into me. All my veins had shut down from dehydration. I don't remember much for there until Tuesday morning waking up in ICU, that has to be one of the most scariest experiences of my life. I was enutbated so you can't talk, there are machines everywhere. The tubing was pulled out a couple of hours of being awake and they started to turn down the machines that help me breathe. My dad passed away when I was 9 from cancer and I always remember mum standing at the end of the bed massaging his feet, this is what I felt the whole time I was out of it. I'm convinced my dad was there with me telling me it wasn't time.

I turns out that during the surgery, my stomach and bowel were perforated, it has been a long line to recovery and will be even longer. I find out today if I can at least go home and have a community nurse come visit me, I don't do hospitals well. My surgeon has been great thru it all keep your fingers crossed I can go home :). Want be back at work for several weeks yet so this will be interesting.

Good luck eith everyone's upcoming surgery I only wanted to share, not to scare you

Wow, Sambogirl, how horrible! You poor thing!

I was reading I think Octobers thread and there was a lady on there that had her bowel perforated as well. Her surgeon actually told her he thought he may have nicked something and sent her home! These trully are horror stories, however they are the minority. I can only imagine how scary that would have been for you.

I am glad that you have been able to update us, and that you are on the mend all-be-it slowly. I would assume that they would have taken the band out? Have you discussed your options now moving forward?

Take care Sam, keep posting and stay strong, we are here for you when you need us.

Mel xx

Good luck to all this week������ I'm Thursday got my pre admission tomorrow.

GOOD LUCK Caroly 1963, I am Wednesday, so by the time you go in, I will be thinking about going home. Pretty daunting heh? This forum helps so much.
  • Like 1

Just go into it with positive thoughts :)

Goodluck to those being banded this week!

Well last week has arrived just a few of us left to become bandits. This forum has been so informative I'm going to try and get organised today.i have my pre op visit this arvo and psych vist tomorrow morning. I'll clean the house today. Had my midweek weight this am and down about 1.3 kg .. Getting there..good luck to all that go for surgery this week too. Starting to get emotional what's with that. Must be carb withdrawal . I had a chicken sandwich on Saturday . OMG it was good.but yesterday I had no appetite at all. Only had one opti and a bowl of salad.. I'm thinking of going out for dinner tonight last supper..Chicken will be on the menu.. My favourite food.

• Like 1

Oh Sambo! So sorry to hear you are so unwell. Keep us in the loop as to how you go recovering.

Good luck today Carolyn!

Hi guys,

Thought I would pop in and let you all know what's been going own as I haven't since the 15 was my banding date.

Surgery went well and smooth, took a little while longer than normal as I had had a band about 3 years ago and there was lots do scar tissue. The next day, Friday things went downhill very quickly. I was rushed back into the operating theatre over at our public hospital, they are joined. I remember lying on the operating table for a couple of hours as no one could get a line into me. All my veins had shut down from dehydration. I don't remember much for there until Tuesday morning waking up in ICU, that has to be one of the most scariest experiences of my life. I was enutbated so you can't talk, there are machines everywhere. The tubing was pulled out a couple of hours of being awake and they started to turn down the machines that help me breathe. My dad passed away when I was 9 from cancer and I always remember mum standing at the end of the bed massaging his feet, this is what I felt the whole time I was out of it. I'm convinced my dad was there with me telling me it wasn't time.

I turns out that during the surgery, my stomach and bowel were perforated, it has been a long line to recovery and will be even longer. I find out today if I can at least go home and have a community nurse come visit me, I don't do hospitals well. My surgeon has been great thru it all keep your fingers crossed I can go home :). Want be back at work for several weeks yet so this will be interesting.

Good luck eith everyone's upcoming surgery I only wanted to share, not to scare you

Wow sambogirl you have been through a lot, I understand the hospital thing, I have had very bad experiences at them :(

I hope you get home today and you make a steady return to good health.

Staples giving me some grief. About 5 of them are inflamed and causing discomfort. Rang surgeon. He is taking them out for me today. They have been in a week today were due to come out wednesday. No other probs apart from this.

Staples giving me some grief. About 5 of them are inflamed and causing discomfort. Rang surgeon. He is taking them out for me today. They have been in a week today were due to come out wednesday. No other probs apart from this.

Got antibiotics. He took the infected staples out. Ouch that hurt prob due to infection. I have 2staples left which will come out Wednesday at my original appointment.

thank goodness I am working tomorrow, starting to get a tad nervous about my surgery Wednesday. My boss rang earlier to ask if I could do 4 hrs overtime, would get home around 1945, but I politely declined. Want a relaxing afternoon, early night to bed , don't know if I will sleep well though. Today stocked up on liquids- vegie juice, up and go, natural orange juice, prune juice, vanilla yoghurt and some different herbal teas. Have lots of optifast- so will continue that. Having a couple of cans of diet coke today, as that will be another thing I will have to give up. Any other hints for preparation out there?