Photo

Finances - Looking for the cheapest way to get banded.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 XansMuM

XansMuM

Bandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBallarat
  • Band/Sleeve Status Thinking About It
  • Weight Loss Status Just Starting

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hi All, this Q has been asked but responces are a little old. What is the best way to finance lap band? I was looking into health insuance that covers it - well that covers the most and has least out of pocket expenses and least amount of waiting time - can anyone reccommend an insurance company?

Or is there other options in victoria? I'm classed as morbidly obese sadly and do have medical reasons to back up my weight loss.

Can anyone recommend a cheap surgeon,etc? I really cant afford much even something like $1000 is rich for me at the moment unless I get alot of it back asap. I may also be being silly in thinking I can get it done cheaply and it may all be out of my reach at the moment?? I'm on a consession card and am only working 3 days a week so low income.

thanks in advance (also if anymore info is required to help with info don't hesitate to ask please)
Kel

#2 FreshStart2

FreshStart2

Enthusiastic Bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
  • Band/Sleeve Status 6 Months Post-Op
  • Weight Loss Status 60%

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

I got midlevel cover with Medibank Private. Ive been told by my surgeon that I will have to pay $2800 fir the lap band surgery. And thats at the lower end of the pricing scale. The cheapest way to do it will be to get private health cover and wait the 12 months waiting period, and use that time to save up the money you'll need. :) hope that helps. Its a lot of money to me too and im still saving!

#3 MsWendy

MsWendy

Bandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Weight Loss Status 60%

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

There is always Thailand....though, not sure I would go that route myself.

#4 Merrynda

Merrynda

Veteran Bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • LocationKalgoorlie, WA
  • Band/Sleeve Status 2+ Years Post-Op
  • Weight Loss Status 50%

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

I know it's expensive, but I wouldn't be looking for the cheapest surgeon because if there are complications and issues later, it could end up costing heaps more. I have HBF insurance and had to wait the 12 months. I paid $2700 to my surgeon but HBF covered almost everything else, including over $11,000 bill from the hospital, over $1000 from the anaesthetist etc. I ended up paying $130ish to the hospital and that was it. And I heard from a GP who does band adjustment and follow-up in a country town (so people don't have to keep going back to Perth) that the surgeon who did mine is the only surgeon he's come across whose patients he's treated haven't had any complications.

#5 Jinie

Jinie

Super Bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Locationbendigo Victoria
  • Band/Sleeve Status 12+ Months Post-Op
  • Weight Loss Status 50%

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

Hi there xands MuM. Welcome to the forum

I am with medibank private and had to pay $4,600.00 out of pocket , that includes 2x psychologists and 2x dietitian. The price varies between surgeons

A guy I used to work with went on the public waiting list through Box Hill. He only had a 12 mth wait, but I dont know if the wait is longer now. He was banded about 18mths ago. From what I can gather you have to go through a lot more hoops going public. I live in Bendigo and didnt want to have to race down to Melb every time I needed an appointment
You would need a refferal through your GP, but you will need that any way if you go private. I believe the waiting list at the Austin is 7yrs
Alot of people use Supa for costs. On this site, some people get the supa $ really quickly others it take time..
Good luck cheers jinie

#6 Merrynda

Merrynda

Veteran Bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • LocationKalgoorlie, WA
  • Weight Loss Status 50%

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

Also, my surgeon told me that if there did happen to be complications later on, any further surgery etc would be covered by the initial cost of the banding (the $2700).

#7 ezerine

ezerine

Bandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Band/Sleeve Status Post-Op

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

My partner looked into public waitlists locally and they are all shut due to demand. She is in Queensland and was more than eligible with siblings with heart attacks at 40, co-morbidities ect ect/ -ended up going the private route.

#8 XansMuM

XansMuM

Bandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBallarat

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

yeh i should have worded that better.. not really looking at backyard thiland type jobs lol and didnt mean cheap and nasty i guess... cheapest with a surgeon that is know to not kill people would be nice ;) thanks guys.. i am thinking about going with the insurance and saving for out of pocket expensive over the 12 month waiting period... i guess the Q to focus on now is who are you guys with and what was out of pocket expenses? i have never looked into health insurance so have no idea where to start really :/ thanks for the replies they are all greatly appreciated!! :)

#9 XansMuM

XansMuM

Bandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBallarat

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

Leanne sound like the perfect plan really.. where are you located?
:D

#10 TeeBee

TeeBee

Bandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Weight Loss Status 30%

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

Hi Kel,

I use to live in Ballarat, loved it. You could try the public route, esp if you are having any health issues associated with your weight. I took insurance out with AHM, because I'd be told by a friend they covered most weight loss surgeries. Im going to have mine done in SA on the 18th, with a $2500 gap. A couple of years ago I had the gastric balloon inserted, dont bother with that, but AHM covered most of my cost, and I only had to pick up the surgeons gap. I've seen a lot of people accessing their superannuation to fund the surgery, I'm too worried about being being a petfood eating pensioner to think of that, but it is an option.

#11 Mrs Miles

Mrs Miles

Bandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationCanberra
  • Weight Loss Status 70%

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

I'm no help as i am in WA but in total everything done dusted and paid for i was out of pocket $1450.. I had a fantastic doctor and couldn't have asked for better service... I was with Medibank private.. I hope you get a chance to do it if it's really something you want done... Good Luck lets us know how you get on

#12 Merrynda

Merrynda

Veteran Bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • LocationKalgoorlie, WA
  • Weight Loss Status 50%

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

I'm in WA and went through Stephen Watson at St John of God hospital in Murdoch. HBF health insurance.

#13 pennyj

pennyj

Veteran Bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Weight Loss Status 70%

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

If you have PHI I've seen that Melbourne Bariatrics has a program where they waive the gap for concession/pension card holders.

http://www.melbourne...tric-bands.html

Might be of interest?
  • kazbo likes this

#14 FreshStart2

FreshStart2

Enthusiastic Bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Weight Loss Status 60%

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:08 AM

Leanne sound like the perfect plan really.. where are you located?
:D

Im in Adelaide so the cost may vary between surgeons in different states. My advice would be to get your health cover ASAP, then just make an appointment with your local surgeon who will tell you all about the procedure, give you information, and give you a figure to work towards. But the sooner you get the health cover, the sooner tou'll be able to book the surgery :)

#15 FreshStart2

FreshStart2

Enthusiastic Bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Weight Loss Status 60%

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

Maybe try a post in the Victoria forum and get to know some people in your area who have gobe through it, they can give you a better idea of who your surgeon might be, and what the cost is likely to be :)

#16 mrs ajl

mrs ajl

Veteran Bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Locationcarramar wa
  • Weight Loss Status 100% (Goal Weight!)

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

wa has free on public wait list. wait isnt too long either apparently

#17 Merrynda

Merrynda

Veteran Bandit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • LocationKalgoorlie, WA
  • Weight Loss Status 50%

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

wa has free on public wait list. wait isnt too long either apparently

The public waiting list in WA is horrendous!!! I was on it SIX YEARS before my inital consult came up. At the consult, I was given a list of things to do (lose weight, sleep study, psychologist etc etc etc) , and told that once I had done them, it would be at least another two years.

#18 ezerine

ezerine

Bandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:07 AM

I have had a range of friends go through it now... i had one friend on the GC who got it done for 2000.00 dollars after insurance and it was cheaper because her surgeon had only done 200 surgeries... whereas my surgeon had been doing them for 20 years and he was 3800 after insurance. She just rang around all the surgeons and got their quotes.

#19 fatmomma

fatmomma

Bandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Weight Loss Status 40%

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

Hi all. I'm in Perth and at my surgeons private rooms they have application forms to borrow the money for your surgery with no interest. It is a company who specializes in lending money to people who want or need surgery but can not afford to fund it themsleves. Hope this was helpful. Good Luck :)

#20 magpies

magpies

Bandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationVictoria
  • Weight Loss Status 90%

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hi, My husband and I have gone through the Alfred in Melbourne and the waiting list took three years. It didn't cost a think and we have both have had successful weight loss. The care is good after it too, even though we have to travel down to Melbourne it is worth it. Fay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users