Sign in to follow this  
morri

Darwin doctors and cost??

Hello, so glad I found this forum. :D

I'm living remote in the Top End and was wondering who (other than Dr Tracey) did banding in the Top End? Also, can you share how much the 'out of pocket' or 'gap' cost was for those of you who got it done in Darwin with private insurance? I'm just wondering if it's similar to what others have been saying in other States. :wacko:

Thanks heaps!!

Lisa

Hi Lisa ,

I was banded in feb and have lost 15kgs. My mum was banded by Dr tracey in June and is doing well. All together it has cost about $5000 each but of cause still paying as u still see him after. But there is no cost on how much better I feel now.

Cheers

Jess

• Like 1

Hi Lisa

Hi Lisa ,

I was banded in feb and have lost 15kgs. My mum was banded by Dr tracey in June and is doing well. All together it has cost about $5000 each but of cause still paying as u still see him after. But there is no cost on how much better I feel now.

Cheers

Jess

Wow Jess did you have private health? How much was Dr Treacy's out of pocket cost?

Lisa there is another company from Adelaide that performs the surgery but you don't get the follow up care from them. I had a band a few yards ago by dr Treacy and he is amazing, so much so I am going to get mine back in hopefully in nov. I have an appointment with him next week. I don't know where you are but I do know he travels remote so he may already come to you for fills and things.

Good luck Sam

• Like 1

Thanks Jess & Sam for your quick response.

I won't be getting it done until the middle of next year (as I am on the 12 month wait). Jess what private insurance company are you with?

Do you need to be referred by your GP to Dr Tracey, or can you just organise an outpatient appointment yourself and go from there? It's just I don't really have a regular GP here as yet. Just wondering, so I have time to actually find a regular GP if I need to.

Lastly, I see in Adelaide they have payment plans etc also, do you know if Dr Tracey has? But good to know he travels...... are these just clinics he runs or would ya need to pay for the priviledge of him traveling??

I'm actually not that remote, I'm in Katherine but feels remote, as only a couple of GP's here and you have to wait a week for an appointment (usually by then I am better and back at work) so I had been driving to Darwin just to get a Medical Cert .......crazy!! Therefore I have not got a regular GP :(

So it's Dr Tracey only here in the Top End doing it??? Would explain why 'the gap' is more expensive than other States...... I guess he can charge more knowing he dominates the market here yeah? From all accounts though he sounds worth it!!

When I had my band in back in 2007 the gap was $800 so seems to have gone up heaps. I know of people who have used the Adelaide people and just haven't had the follow up care Dr Treacy is worth every cent

• Like 1

I was banded by Tracey Aug 2011. At that stage his gap was $1500, I was with mutual community (now bupa) and I had a $50 a night hospital gap. Was in two nights so was $100. I also had the anesthetist fees and follow up appointments.

I've now had fills in darwin by Tracey and Hardcastle, fills in Adelaide and Cairns and Tracey is by far the best.

• Like 1

Hi Guys....

$5000 is what i have paid up all together (3 appintments befor op, 6 after) for the op it was only like $1500 and i had no other cost other then the antitheses (which i must add i was never told about the cost of his services and got a bill befor i had even gone back to work)... im with medibank privet..... Dr Tracey is the only one here that does the op but he has another Doc doing the fill sometimes now.... most doc dont have a problem referring you do you have one that you use to see befor you moved to Katherine???? ask them.....

The crowd from Adelaide Obesity Clinic comes up and does the surgery and follow ups every 6-8 weeks, they have a fantastic team, a little more expensive than the other Dr in town but all follow up consults including fills for the life of the band are included in the price. They provide excellent flow up including dietitians, psychologists, excercise therapist plus available anytime for help via email, txt, phone, Skype etc.

I'm originally from Alice Springs where if I had any problems with the band I had no one in town available.

I've had my band two years and yes it's been a slow process but I have found Dr Bessell and his team very helpful and friendly, I would recommend them to anyone.

All I can say dont just look at the price but see what services are available if something goes wrong and what team is available to you.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers

:-)

I had BUPA private health cover. it cost me $1800 for Dr Treacy to do opp. Which I was happy about. DPH fee was $250 out of pocket to stay 4 nights, which I new about, that's fine. Than antitheist was $688 but I think I get some money back through Bupa and medicare.which I think Dr Purser said it would be about $350 out of pocket? I hope so being around Christmas doesn't help. Than I got another bill from Regional Imaging for the scan you get in hospital to make sure everything is in place of $216 which I had no idea about. so lots of hidden cost. Might I also add, I got a parking ticket too. Which I had parked at DPH at 6:25am, displaying the parking ticket on my dash which first 3hrs free and getting the ticket at 6:55am for $65. My husband picked up my car at 8am not realising about the ticket. When I went to drive my car, 2wks after my opp. I found it and I cant dispute it for it has been more than 10 days after receiving it. not happy!   

• Like 1