Mooch

Reached my goal today

Hi all,

It seems a little silly to be registering when I've reached goal but I figured I might be able to provide advice / support / assistance for others on the journey.

I was banded three and a bit years ago. My starting weight was 125kg. Today I weighed at my clinic at 52.9kg. I am a little underweight so had an unfill today to try and get me back to around 55-57kg (which seems to be my sweet spot).

Getting a lap band was - honestly - the best thing I have ever done (besides having my children). It has given me energy, confidence, a new zest for life, and it has taught me how to eat (my band hates bread so my diet is very much protein and vegetable based).

I wish all of you the very best. It's been three long years for me to lose my weight. Perhaps it has taken longer than it should have but the upside is that I don't have any baggy skin to get rid of.

For those thinking about it, go forth and be fearless. Seriously the best thing I've ever done.

Mooch

congratulations great effort

Congratulations Mooch!

I hope I can say the same one day! I'm struggliing with the last few kilos!

So you say you can't eat bread, but you can eat protein? I.E. beef, chicken, fish, etc.. ???

Strange how we're all different, isn't it? I can eat bread, yet struggle with protein! The only protein I don't have a problem with is eggs.

Congratulations Mooch!

I hope I can say the same one day! I'm struggliing with the last few kilos!

So you say you can't eat bread, but you can eat protein? I.E. beef, chicken, fish, etc.. ???

Strange how we're all different, isn't it? I can eat bread, yet struggle with protein! The only protein I don't have a problem with is eggs.

Gotta love the band! Egg is the one protein I can't tolerate. Which kills me because I love fluffy scrambled eggs. As soon as it makes its way down, I know it's going to make a repeat journey.

Red meat, fish, chicken, pork, lamb - it all goes down a treat.

One nibble on a bread roll and I'm... 'productive'.

• Like 2

Congratulations Mooch - It's great to get inspiration from those that have achieved :rolleyes:

It's so wonderful to read about your journey. A massive congratulations to for reaching your goal weight.ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Thank you all. It's been a long three years but I still remember the day I got banded, what I ate that morning (an Optifast shake) and how I slept a ridiculous 15 hours after the surgery. The first day of an amazing journey.

I lost the first 30 in the first year and the rest over two years. So verrrrrry slow going but I wanted food and diet to become irrelevant, if that makes sense. I didn't want to FOCUS on weight loss, but to live a 'normal' life and let the weight take care of itself.

Was nervous getting my unfill today but my weight is now below normal for my height and I am looking lollypop-head ish. I would like to get back up to 55kg and then see if I can maintain.

• Like 1

Well done, your post gives me hope!

Do you exercise and if so what etc and what's your eating like now?

I walk around 40 minutes a day during the week (during my lunch at work) and swim twice a week.

Food wise, because my band doesn't like breads, my diet is pretty heavy on proteins and vegetables / fruits.

I have a particular weakness for cheese that I had before the band and still have today. So I will have at least type of cheese per day. It's my indulgence.

Welcome-it's great to hear from someone who took 3 years to get to goal-so perseverance is the key :) There are quite a lot of "fast" losers on here and sometimes the slow ones wonder what they are doing "wrong" The great message is that you will get there in the end.

• Like 5

I walk around 40 minutes a day during the week (during my lunch at work) and swim twice a week.

Food wise, because my band doesn't like breads, my diet is pretty heavy on proteins and vegetables / fruits.

I have a particular weakness for cheese that I had before the band and still have today. So I will have at least type of cheese per day. It's my indulgence.

mmmm cheese I hear ya my biggest weekends too I just had a slice of the lite with lunch.... mmmm yummy

Ali, I figure the band is not about deprivation but learning to eat differently. I am French. Cheese is in my blood. I can't live without it. :-) Nice to meet a fellow traveller.

Ozchick, I remember seeing others fly past me and feeling pretty useless and wondering if I wasn't doing it right. Luckily, my clinic were very supportive and constantly reassured me that I was going ok. There was a six month period where I lost - no fooling - 2kgs. Then the loss would pick up again. I've had the same fill for two years.

Turtle and hare right? I am clearly a lap band turtle!

• Like 4

I am Swiss turtle-Cheese is also in my blood and I succumbed to buying a wedge of Blue Opal today. Luckily I can't buy it locally, so I don't get it too often! Maybe all the turtles are from the Northern hemisphere!! I think I've nearly got rid of the Lindt choc in my veins but it does draw me like a magnet every so often ;)

• Like 2

Mmmmmm...Lindt! *drooool*

Mmmmmm....Cheese ! emmentaler on rye....*droool*

Oh yes, Im from a euro background too.

• Like 1

fantastic Mooch.

i am similar weight to your starting .... and my dr and dietitian think i can make 60-55 my goal weight .... and i am like no way !!!! so i have said 70. i can not even remember being under 100 in the last 15 years,,,,, still cant believe it really ... but with people like you i am glad i am not looking at an infomercial and know it is possible.

i would like to stay in contact for any questions i might come across cause i like the turtle idea =) esp when you think how long the excess weight has been on your body. 3 years is nothing in the big picture of ups and downs. (thanks for adding about the 2kg in 6 months... nice to have that as a reference in the back of my mind)

• Like 1

fantastic Mooch.

i am similar weight to your starting .... and my dr and dietitian think i can make 60-55 my goal weight .... and i am like no way !!!! so i have said 70. i can not even remember being under 100 in the last 15 years,,,,, still cant believe it really ... but with people like you i am glad i am not looking at an infomercial and know it is possible.

i would like to stay in contact for any questions i might come across cause i like the turtle idea =) esp when you think how long the excess weight has been on your body. 3 years is nothing in the big picture of ups and downs. (thanks for adding about the 2kg in 6 months... nice to have that as a reference in the back of my mind)

I never expected to get to 55kg either. I was thinking 70kg. But then it kept on coming off.

The unfill I had has been wonderful. I haven't put on anything as yet but it's just the general feeling of being comfortable that I am loving.

And yes, a turtle band is just as good as a hare band! We all get there in our own time, on our journey, on our rules, and at our own speed. So long as we get there, it matters nowt the time IMO.

Am happy to answer any questions anyone might have. I'm not a model bandster (obviously, it took me three years!), but I've gone through lots of ups and downs. Wanted to get it out. Wanted to keep it inside forever. Hated it. Loved it. Often wondered why the hell I did it.

If I can provide any support or advice to anyone here from the perspective of a bandit, let me know.

• Like 1

Mooch you are an absolute inspiration. Thank you for sharing your journey. It is such a realistic one, I suspect my loss will be a little bit slower than others. But thats OK, was banded in June. You should feel so very proud. I feel proud for you. Cheers

Like the old Pantene commercial, Judy, it won't happen overnight. But it will happen.

My band is the best thing that happened to me. It took care of the physical weight loss whilst I worked on the mental issues that drove my emotional eating.

• Like 4

I hear you I loove my cheese especially Aldi's blue vain and white costello and yes Lindt chocolate is also my weakness must be because my background is german. I was approx 66 kg in 1983 when we migrated to Australia I was 18 on the plain over and has crept up over the years. I have lost todate appox 31kg but my doc is happy with that as I cannot walk to much due to osteo arthritis in my knees and I need knee replacement in both as I have been advised. The first one might be done end of this year of early next year and and the otherone whenever the surgeon tells me ( at least when they are both done I can go for long walks again). I do think some days reading how much others loose in a short time and I have only lost so little that I am doing something wrong. (sorry to rave on but have just come back from my neighbours after happy hour, gosh it only takes one or two drinks to drunk these days.

Wow! Congratulations. What a fantastic effort and achievement.

Thanks for sharing Mooch.

It's nice to hear someone else taking a little longer to loose the weight. I was starting to think I was broken :(

I'm 6kgs away from my surgeons goal and 1 month shy of the 12 month mark. I really thought I'd be there already but as long as I get there i guess I don't mind!!

• Like 1

Mooch - you give me hope that I will get there...our starting weight is about the same (I started at 123.9 kgs) and I my first goal is 85 kgs but I would love to get to 75 kgs. In many ways I've felt like I've let myself down...that it's been 2 years and I haven;t even got to 85 kgs yet...but I keep chipping way, day by day...congratulations on your weight loss - that is truly awesome!

What an amazing achievement. Well done and Congratulations Mooch, for someone just starting out you are an inspiration!