Sign in to follow this  
Brenden47

Banded Sept 6th 2012

Not sure what to write here but I am sure I will think of something.

I guess my experience is the same as most. I spent most of my life gaining and losing weight (mainly gaining). In recent years I found it difficult to motivate myself to lose weight I had already lost many times before and was looking for something that would assist in keeping off the weight rather than just another cycle of weight reduction and subsequent re-gain. Hopefully this is it.

I am getting to that age where one starts to see freinds have health issues and make severe lifestyle changes after some sort of catastrphic event like a stroke or heart attack. As I have yet to see any major health issue (a bit of gout and slightly high blood pressure aside), it made sence to me to make the kind of lifestyle changes I have seen other have make after a stroke or similar before I had to. My logic being that the lifestyle changes are forced upon you AND the causational health issues are a poor alternative to making the changes before you experience the health issues. I hope this makes sence.....

I also have found my career in a holding pattern for several years and can't help but wonder if my appearance is distracting from my abilities. I guess we will soon see.

Anyway, I am 7 days post op and have lost 11kgs since the start of the liver shrinking phase and actually looking forward to puree in a weeks time. Back to work tomorrow so I hope the post op side effects (gas, shoulder pain etc) are tollerable.

I am interested to hear and read other people's experiences. That in itself is unusual for me as I usually distain this kind of envioroment so I have suprised myself already.

• Like 3

Hi Brenden, congratulations on taking this step. We were banded on the same day! I was originally booked for 21 August, but was rescheduled because I had the flu.

I don't know if I have been extremely lucky, or if I just had a really good team looking after me, but 7 hours post-op I was up around and going to the toilet and getting changed. The next day I was able to do everything myself. I had some shoulder tip pain for the first 2 days, but had settled by day 3 and have not taken any panadol since. I am now pretty much back to normal - apart from lifting anything heavier than 5kgs.

I am quite a big girl, and have been my whole life (I am 31 years old). Over the last 5 years or so I have ballooned out with my weight as I met my now-husband and he is quite a fit and active person (fit and active, not necessarily healthy) and so when he would eat back food, full of carbs he would go to work and work it off, whereas I would go to work and sit behind a desk. My portion sizes also increased - not to gigantic sizes, but certainly more than what I needed!

To throw into the mix, I have had 2 kids.

So, as a result of eating too much of the wrong thing and getting less and less motivated to exercise, I put on 50kgs to increase my weight to 170kg.

My first goal as set by my surgeon is to lose 70kgs. Once I have reached this, I would also then like to lose another 30kg after that.

Anyways, hope I didn't bore you too much. Can't wait to see where this journey takes us all!

• Like 2

Hi Brenden & welcome to this site,

I was banded nearly 4months ago, best decision I've made. I too, wanted to be proactive and avoid health issues that could result from my obesity. The first few days/weeks were not that easy, but nothing too bad. I'm still learning with regards to eating slowly and what foods my band will or will not tolerate. I'm 25kg down and feeling much healthier & looking forward to losing the next 20kg over the next few months.

Hi Brenden, congratulations on taking this step. We were banded on the same day! I was originally booked for 21 August, but was rescheduled because I had the flu.

I don't know if I have been extremely lucky, or if I just had a really good team looking after me, but 7 hours post-op I was up around and going to the toilet and getting changed. The next day I was able to do everything myself. I had some shoulder tip pain for the first 2 days, but had settled by day 3 and have not taken any panadol since. I am now pretty much back to normal - apart from lifting anything heavier than 5kgs.

I am quite a big girl, and have been my whole life (I am 31 years old). Over the last 5 years or so I have ballooned out with my weight as I met my now-husband and he is quite a fit and active person (fit and active, not necessarily healthy) and so when he would eat back food, full of carbs he would go to work and work it off, whereas I would go to work and sit behind a desk. My portion sizes also increased - not to gigantic sizes, but certainly more than what I needed!

To throw into the mix, I have had 2 kids.

So, as a result of eating too much of the wrong thing and getting less and less motivated to exercise, I put on 50kgs to increase my weight to 170kg.

My first goal as set by my surgeon is to lose 70kgs. Once I have reached this, I would also then like to lose another 30kg after that.

Anyways, hope I didn't bore you too much. Can't wait to see where this journey takes us all!

I understand exactly what your saying with your husband. My hubby is a builder and really fit. He eats the most discussing foods and has never in his life weighed more than 69 kg. since I met him almost 19 years ago I've almost doubled my weight by going up and down over the years and having 4 kids hasn't helped. But I'm getting banded next Wednesday and so excited to change my eating for the better.

• Like 2

Welcome Brendan, always good to have another bloke on the site, I hope all us girls dont scare them away. I am 47 and have found it harder to try to get the weight off the older I get. Good luck with your journey, and I hope your health improves quickly.

Hi Brenden and welcome to the site.

I've been obese sine I was a child and I never wanted something as much as I wanted to lose weight. I went on a diet when I was younger, 25yo (am now 36), and I lost 25 kilos but I gained them back and a bit more especially after having my 2 yo daughter and having a total hop replacement.

I was banded on the 13th of September so am 9 days post op now. I've lost 6 kilos since the optifast phase (so in 3 weeks time) and am looking forward to progress faster than that!

That's all about me for the moment. I wish you good luck in your journey and sending u skinny vibes! :D

Thanks for the feedback guys....all good. One more week of puree and then I get my first fill and solid food. Lost 15kg so far. I may be strange but the way I look is not even in the top 10 reasons I did this. Just want to feel better and live longer. It is nice to know that THIS time the weight will probably stay off.

Has a beer on the weekend (small one) and found I did not enjoy it like I used to. That was strange.