beckyboo

Hmm :(

Hi all,

i had my op about 7 weeks ago and i have lost 22kg in 3 or 4 months but i am having real trouble getting motivated to want to go for a walk or anything like that i always say, yeah tomorrow is the day i am going to start walking but it never happens and if it does its one day and i just don't do it again.

can anyone give me some helpful tips or tell me about how they got into walking and wanting to go for a walk???

thanks guys :)

• Like 1

Hey Beckyboo,

If your anything like me sometimes you just gotta out those runners on and just do it. While immout walking I find I really enjoy it and wonder why I don't do it more. I have a very stressful job and use my time walking to listen to music and enjoy the peace and quiet of not having I talk to anyone. I do have two dogs so that helps alot. Try and go in the mornings early, then your exercise is done an you feel good throughout the day. Sometimes I'll get home from work and go for another one as I am in such high spirits. Walking also melts away those kilos. Btw you are doing awesome congrats. Sam :-)

I agree with Sam. Forget about getting motivated. Just do it. Once you get started you will find that you rather enjoy it and when you have finished, your body will have produced endorphins and you will be feeling good. Look at the surrounding landscape. Take in the little things. And just enjoy.

One tip: don't expect to walk long distances if you haven't done much exercise in recent times. Start with a 5-10 min walk and work upwards from there.

Looking at photos of those who have lost 50 plus kilo motivates me you look fab just saw your then and now shots just imagine how much more positive and happier you'll be when you reach your goal that should motivate u. I love to read but I don't allow myself to read unless I have done my 30 min walk lspme kind of rule like that might help u too

Good luck keep us posted you are doing amazing

• Like 1

I find putting on my exercise gear as soon as I get dressed helps me. When I'm already ready to go I have less excuses to not go.

Good luck

• Like 1

You just have to start, you dont have to enjoy it at first, but you do have to do it. (Like my mother used to say at dinner time when we were kids... "you dont have to like it, you just have to eat it"). Even if its only 15-30mins 3 times a week to start. Then, after a couple of weeks you get used to it + it becomes part of your routine. I know I now feel a bit blah if i miss my jog, I only do it 3 times a week (started with walking). Ive only been doing it for 11 weeks now, Im exhausted after it, but it sure does get the endorphins going, lets me blow off any steam, and makes me sleep a whole lot better.

And I must say Beck Boo, youre looking great, and obviously puting in the hard yards diet wise, Well done you.

I am notoriously bad at doing exercise, but my main helper when I *do* do it, is to stop thinking. Just put on your workout clothes, then the shoes will follow, and the dvd will start up (or you're out the front door) and before you know it you're actually doing it and then it's over [until tomorrow :( ]

I got a dog - during the last weight loss attempt. There is nothing like knowing that he is going to start eating my house for motivating me to get out the door.

• Like 1

I read somewhere a while ago about the 5min rule - if after 5mins of walking (or any excercise) you still don't want to do it then stop but 9 times out of 10 you'll keep going. So I now commit myself to 5mins when i'm not feeling motivated and no matter how much I drag my feet in the beginning I feel a great sense of achievement when i'm done. I was always the girl who forgot her shoes at school so I never thought i'd say this but.....I really enjoy exercising now!

• Like 2

What a great idea chantilly.

I have a system like Ali, my treadmill is in my room, and I have loads of tv showson DVD, but my deal with myself is that I don't watch them (ever!) unless I'm on the treadmill. It's excellent motivation, especially towards the end of the season?

If your not motivated to walk, can you try something else that will motivate you? Have you tried the wii games (if you own one?) I found just dance (in the privacy of my lounge room with no one else around) was a riot! Couldn't stop laughing at myself.

Or maybe cycling or swimming? Something different?

• Like 1

Wow beky boo you have lost heaps of weight congratulations..

Like many have said sometimes you just have to make your self. Set a small goal like walking a block or 2. and no excues not to do it. (raining tired etc).in a week or so you will be enjoying it and extending your lengths. I realy enjoy looking at poeples houses and gardens as I go along

sometimes I do thing to make myself like, get of the bus a stop early. park the car at the far end of the carpark.

as maxi said think of something you would enjoy doing, dance classes? I am going to start walking at the pool cos my knee is to bad for normal walking.

Good luck, you are doing really well 22 kgs is heaps

unfortunately sometimes you just have to suck it up and do it. If you wait for motivation, it might never happen. I make a promise to myself that I will do this for X days per week, no excuses. Then it becomes a habit then you wondered why you didn;t start earlier :)