Carly898

Gained all Weight Back

Hi All

Im new to this I joined up to find out if anyone else may be in the same boat as me...

I had my lap band done mid 2008 I weighed 110kgs and got down to 73kgs by early 2010 at this point I felt I was "normal" and fit in and became more social and started to drink alcohol which has now played a MASSIVE part in my road to failure I was getting my band tightened so much that I could not eat food I was just drinking alcohol.

So anyway I have no gained all my weight back plus an extra 5kgs I have tried going back to getting it tighted but i just don't seem to loose weight anymore. Has anyone else had this happen to them and were you able to fix it get back on track?

Thanks for reading

Carly :)

Hi Carly and welcome!!

We all have our ups and downs and it can be so easy to become complacent...especially if you are like me (if it feels good, do it)

Have you been talking to a dietician? maybe keep a food diary to see what's going on? I've had plenty of plateaus and also instances where I gained a bit of weight which took ages to get off again (I'm currently trying to deal with the couple of kilos I gained while on holiday). There are a few bods around here who gained a fair bit of weight so hopefully they will find this post and offer their advice...

Cheers!

Hi Carly

Welcome! I'm sure you will find a number of posts as you read through from those who have gained some weight post band. I guess the important thing to remember is that tomorrow is a new day. Like Kazbo I would encourage you to chat to a dietitian and see if they can point you in the right direction too.

Could I also point you to the 8 Golden Rules Videos here...I find watching them from time to time helpful. You never know what you pick up each time you review them.

Let us know how you get on!!

S

Hi Carly,

I had a lap band put in in 2007, did really well and lost 50 kg in about 18 months, was doing really well, excercising heaps, but on the downside i was not eating nearly enought to sustain the amount of exercise. The weight slowly started creeping back. I started to have huge issues with not being able to eat anything and had my band removed last year in April. Since this time I have put all of my original weight bar 5kg. This has come as a huge shock, while I realized the weight was coming back on I felt it in my clothes, I still had the skinny me in me. I have since been back to the surgeon last week and an booked to have a lap band put back in in sept. the surgeon explained that the bands have changed a little bit since my original band. I have also changed my thought process, for me being obese is like being an alcoholic, my drug is food, I am ashamed to even think of the amount of food that I consume.

I would ask your surgeon to check your band there has to be an issue somewhere.

Hope you can find your mojo, it's hard work but look what you have done.

All the best

Sam

• Like 2

Hi!

I do know how this feels as I was banded almost 2 years ago, and while I lost about 25kg initially, I have been fairly stagnant since and need to get serious about this, but am not sure where to go, or what to do at this point. I missed seeing my Dr for about 8 mths as I was wedding planning and generally just complacent - but also had a fear of getting too tight and not being able to enjoy my food at all. So, all of this has led me here with the hope that like-minded people can help me on the right path.

Get your band checked, visit some dietitians etc. But you really need to change the alcohol consumption, its all empty carbs, I dont mean to sound like a wowser. but if you are parting 'big time' its going to continue to be a problem weight wise.you may need some changes in lifestyle

Read through the site a bit, you might find some motivation, I hope things start going in a better direction for you , best of luck think about some self care,

• Like 1

Alot of us have experienced highs and lows after banding as alot has to do with getting your headspace in the right area. I know i was getting frustrated during the first 6 - 12 months not losing the amount of weight i was initially told and even gaining weight between some visits.

It was only explained to me during a visit by the Surgeon that after the operation and the first few fills that due to my initial size (206kgs) they couldnt get me to the right fill amount until that time had passed and one i had had my fifth fill i noticed what people were talking about being in the right zone etc. then the weight started to gradually come off and i was able to start moderate exercise as up to that stage i couldnt do 2 minutes on the cross trainer.....

The other big issue is getting your head in the right area. This is a life changing event, you have to accept that to be able to go forward. You need to change the way you eat and drink which was one of the biggest hurdles to overcome as i loved to have a drink with my meals as well as scoffing down the food in record time.

Once you can do this and accept that this is what is needed it is possible to lose the weight and to date i have now lost 109kgs after 2 years and have surgery booked for March 2013 to remove excess skin.

The band is a tool to help you get there but you need to be prepared to go with it and not give up.

• Like 2

i am not banded yet .... due tuesday ..... i did read that if you come to a real stand still just do the opti for a couple of weeks to shake up the weight loss. liquid calories can be nasty, a very close friend of mine is banded and she was losing weight at a good steady pace but at the moment she is gaining ....she drinks a bottle or 2 of wine a night and when i sort dropped that is a lot to drink in a week.... she sort of got snappy so i dropped the subject. i feel sorry for her cause she will be back to where she was in no time, she is dodging her dr visits making excuse to why she is breaking the "golden" rules.

But anyway good luck with your journey. there is lots of support and inspiration around here.

I'm having a similar problem except that I have been banded for 12 months now and am still yet to lose any weight. In fact, during the post-surgery liquid phase I actually gained 6kg and have been completely unsuccessful at losing that extra weight after 12 months. I eat less, I eat healthier foods (I eat mostly Optifast, actually) and exercise more than I did previously. I cut down my consumption of alcohol (most days I wouldn't even have one glass of wine) and I've had my band tightened at least 6 times. My older brother had a similar issue with the lap band and he actually gained weight on it. I'm considering going with the sleeve gastrectomy, which has significantly helped my brother, but I want to give the lap band another 6 months just in case.

Does anyone have any tips on how to lose weight (without spending 4 hours a day exercising like my younger brother had to do)?

I came to a standstill and then started putting a few kilos back on (thanks to chocolate and cheesecake) I have now totally cut sugar out of my diet and have lost 4kg and no longer crave sweet food. I read the book Sweet Poison and immediately cleaned out the cupboard and the fridge and no longer buy anything with sugar in it. This includes foods like tomato sauce, salad dressing etc, actually most processsed food has a high sugar content. The diet drinks are one of the worse, I buy Natural protien powder (sugar free) and use that now instead for drinks, make my own sugar free muesli and use greek yoghurt Jalana, dinner and lunch is salad and prawns/avocado/ cheese etc

Maybe you could try it for a few weeks and see how you go.

Hi Carly,

I was banded in May 2005 and within 12 months had also lost 50kgs. I suffered a severe bout of depression from 2008-2011 and put all the weight back on again. I am now back on track and have lost 10 kilos. Under advise from a DR. I am following a calorie controlled diet (1200cals) and track my calories and exercise using the myfitnesspal website which is free. Basically you need to go back to your doctor and get your band to a spot where you can manage to eat about a cup and a half of food and then be full. I have a cheat day only once a week and maybe you could do the same thing with your alcohol intake (just do it once a week). If you dont want to count calories just make sure that you are making really good choices with your food. If you eat crap you will have poor results and get disheartened and give up. Make sure you follow the rules as well because it really does make a difference. You Can do this! Good Luck.

I don't know much about this but I did read a thread on here somewhere saying opti or liquid is no good long term as you have to stimulate the band and nerves to get your body burning fat if you have mostly liquid your body is in starvation mode and won't burn fat I'm a little like above and have cut most sugars but I'm rating high protein so egg for breakfast with spinach and salmon or baked beans or one weetbix with anlene milk for a lazy brekky lunch is protein so fish, chicken, lean steak or chcikpeas about 100 grams or roughly the size of your palm with salad and a lite dressing then diner is similar to lunch with salad or veg I have zero pasta rice limited pirate occasionally Shepard pie or tuna moray but with no butter and I mince my own steak do I know it's lean I googled band recipes and there are heaps on the net and heaps of weight loss surgery cookbooks I hate cooking but have now found it relaxing and starting to experiment more I think a big key sounds like you need to eat more rather than drink opti eating stimulates your metabolism and helps you burn fat I'm walking 30 to 60 min a day and have one day a week where I let loose and drink what ever alcohol I want but have found the lindmans early harvest sav blanc is only 350 calories for a full bottle and others up to 900 so I tend to have that! Good luck babble over :-)

I keep going back to the 'energy in/energy out' equation. If I am gaining weight I know I have to either decrease the calories or increase the exercise. I got here (obese) by losing sight of that basic fact. With the band that means three small meals - not slider foods that slip down and don't trigger the satiety message from the nerves around the top of the stomach (where the band constricts it) to the brain.

To know what to do right you need to know what to change. To know what to change you need to record what you are doing now. I would suggest keeping an honest food and drink diary for a week or two and taking that to a dietician - one attached to your clinic (or if you do not feel okay going back to the old clinic then seek out a new one). Your GP may be able to recommend someone.

Even if your band did have you in the green zone when your weight reached that low figure you will need to see someone about getting it checked because over time they can and do leak teeny amounts till you need a fill.

My psychologist warned me that if you use food addictively and then get that in hand there is always a risk that you can find something else to replace food as your 'go to' thing when life challenge you. (I was kind of hoping that I could make that exercise, and my husband was kinda hoping that would be bedroom gymnastics, but neither has happened yet. Maybe I need to lose a few more kilos).

Anyway, the mere fact that you have come and posted your challenge is a positive. You do have willpower and determination. Look how many kilos you whittled off the first time. I hope you can treat yourself as the most important person in your life and re-focus and get the help you need to get back to where you were happy.

• Like 2

Omg!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one!!! I have put all mine back on too. I'm over my dr, I feel like he doesn't help.

• Like 2

....she drinks a bottle or 2 of wine a night and when i sort dropped that is a lot to drink in a week....

That IS a lot to drink in a week! In fact without trying to sound too judgemental, i would go as far as saying she might have a drinking problem? I know lots of people say they cant eat solids but I still can't seem to grasp why somebody would then pick an alcoholic drink to live off rather than any other liquid, like juice or soup, unless they had a drinking problem.

Wow thank you everyone! These replies have been amazing. I have made an appointment to go back and see my dr next week. And I think in going to look into this book "sweet poison" and try and get my life and weight back on track thank you all again for the support

• Like 2