FreshStart2

Mock Chocolate Mousse

Hello,

I got this recipe of a friend last week. I just made it today and its not bad :) As far as I'm concerned, this is healthy mousse and you can eat as much as you like.

Ingredients:

- 3 scoops chocolate flavoured protein powder

- 250ml water

- 1/2 cup dried pitted dates (or prunes if you prefer)

- 1 heaped tablespoon gelatine

- 100ml hot water

-1/4 - 1/2 cup skim/no fat milk (as needed)

Method:

1. Mix up the protein powder and 250ml water in a blender or shaker. Add 1/2 cup dates, blend until dates are broken down.

2. In a separate bowl, dissolve the gelatine in the hot water. Add this to the protein mix. Give a quick shake or blend.

3. Pour into a bowl. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

4. Remove when completely set, spoon into blender and add dashes off milk in between blends, until you reach desired consistency. (like thick custard).

If you wanted to be a bit naughty, you could add a tiny bit of cocoa or natvia (stevia) to it, according to your taste buds.

You can use different flavoured powders. I always add dates or prunes into the chocolate mix to add sweetness and flavour. I'd mix some pureed strawberries in with a strawberry powder, banana with banana powder etc. You could leave it plain but I think it's good to add some fresh fruit into the puree :)

36559374954214379517959.jpg

***NOTE: Edited to adjust recipe

• Like 2

Just had some over chopped banana, feeling very satisfied :) its a little bit jelly-like so you could use less gelatine or i would add another 100ml liquid (milk or water)

What a clever idea! God knows why no-one thought of it before - a healthy option AND we get a protein boost.

hmmm wonder if it would work with a little instant coffee added? then I could get breakfast and my caffeine fix in the one hit :)

• Like 1

Oooh good idea, I'll add some dissolved coffee next time for a mocha mousse :)

• Like 1

Yesterday I blended up a banana in the mix too, as well as a spoonful of cocoa, so it was choc-banana mousse. The best thing about having this mousse for dessert, is that you generally dont feel hungry again afterwards, which is good for me because I have dinner quite early. This stops me from picking a few hours after dinner :)

• Like 1

Interesting Fresh Start, What protein powder do you use and where do you get it from? Does it cost much?

Mel.

I use "Vital Strength, DEFINE Women's High Protein powder. I got it from a health shop in my local shopping centre. It was about $50 for the BIG tub. I only bought the big one because they were out of chocolate flavour in the 500g tubs. There are also, banana, vanilla and strawberry flavours, which I'll try when I run out of chocolate. I think the smaller ones were around $25-35? Here's a picture. But I'm sure if you can't find this particular one, you can just use another brand :) I'm really only using this to make the mousse and the ocassional shake every few days, so the 1kg tub has lasted me since the beginning of the month, and it's still half full.

74749457.jpg

I have to admit, the batch I made up today, I omitted the dates/prunes/banana, and instead added a teaspoon of cocoa and a tablespoon of stevia to sweeten it. Its is much more (chocolate tasting) this way. I guess you just adjust the recipe to your taste, but obviously, just plain water, protein powder and geletine is the version with the least calories. :)

I made a similar thing yesterday with the following:

1 vanilla optifast

1 tiny tub goulburn vally puree apple

1 lite aeroplane pineapple jelly

made up the jelly with hot water and stirred in the apple, put into fridge for an hour or so and then added the optifast and blitzed it with the whizzer until it was thick and creamy. It made 3 serves. Quite sweet though. = 125 calories per serve

Next time I will use a fresh apple and blitz until its very fine so there is less sweetness and fewer calories.

Today I am doing the same with a strawberry optifast, a lite strawberry jelly and a punnet of fresh strawberries. This makes 4 serves = 85 calories

Nice and easy for those days when you want a treat but don't want to go off the wagon either :)