Julesy

I want it to be a secret

Hi nathan

*throws her 2 cents in*

If he is your best mate, I'd share it with him. As invaluable as it is to have a supportive spouse, it's helpful to have a 2nd in your corner if not only for support, but to rant and rave at when you don't want to bring it home! Plus if you have a mates day out, you got someone to distract and cover for ya lol especially if you are looking to keep it a private banding. If he is cluey and catches on and he doesn't know, could be kinda awkward......

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. Thanks AngelButterfly :)

• Like 1

I've tried to keep it secret, but I work in an operating theatre, so everyone wants to know *exactly* what I had done, by whom, where, when and who were the staff in theatre etc etc. I've said "A hiatus hernia repair and some other upper GI stuff, y'know". I think the more cluey ones will figure it out.

In the end it's none of their damn' business, but you have to work with them. Today I spent all afternoon with a heat pack on my shoulder (the dreaded STP) so everyone was asking what i had done- again!

My mum said I should have said "Oh I had my oesophageal varices banded and a TIPS procedure*"- that would have shut them up.

*Something you do for people with advanced cirrhosis. presumably from being an intractable alcoholic.

Seriously, though, why do you think so many people react negatively when we tell them? Because it's the 'easy way out?' Because we are fat therefore we deserve to have the privations of starvation without help (punishment for our 'gluttony')? Seriously, I'm going to tell the CBS (Melbourne) people they need to study that. There's a PhD in it, I'm sure. Or a very publishable study. Anyone know someone who needs a topic for a Psych PhD thesis?!

• Like 1

My mum said I should have said "Oh I had my oesophageal varices banded and a TIPS procedure*"- that would have shut them up.

Hahaha! I didn't even think of using oesophageal varices, good one! I told some colleagues I was dieting hard because I needed a small gynaelogical procedure, and I told a close friend I'd had a small hernia repair. My immediate family know I had a band. Everyone else thinks I'm dieting. It's quite easy to keep it a secret, I just say I'm watching my food intake. Everyone knows I'm fat, so seeing me diet is hardly going to surprise them!

• Like 1

Me = secret bandit too ! Only hubby & an aunt (who referred me to the surgeon after she had sleeve op) are in the know. It is a bit strange though, as my Dad was banded a few years back. I decided to not tell my parents coz I didn't want my Dad to feel like it was a competition or feel bad b/c his head is still not in the right place & he's fighting it every which way. I do want to succeed (der) so don't want this to be a slap in the face to him... If that makes any sense. That, and also I couldn't be bothered with the whole "you don't need THAT" bru-huh-hah that would inevitably come from my Mum !!!