Bandy_Alexander

I start Optifast Tomorrow and am FREAKING OUT

Of the list of vegies that I'm permitted to eat, I like 2 - actually I think green beans is supposed to be on there too as it's in all the recipes, if so, that makes three. I don't hate maybe 5 more. The rest I can't stand. And the only fruit is like is strawberries!

How on earth do poeple survive the Optifast phase?

I am on week two of optifast I found first two days the hardest as was detoxing from sugar but I am not hungry now and really enjoying it, oh loving the strawberry

• Like 1

On the intensive phase there should be no fruit just the veg from what i gathered... might want to double check withy our doctor. But I do understand I was the same as you and i have beans or califlower, beans, broccolli and spinich for my two cups. At first it really blows balls! BUT stick at it the hunger goes away.

Two tips 1. chewing gum (sugar free) helps with the cravings.

2. GET BENEFIBER! - this diet does some searious cloggage for alot of people (some are lucky).

There are no portion sizes for the free vegetables - can you have as many as you like?

you can only have 2 cups plus 1 teaspoon oil

good luck, you can do it! Im start next monday with my fiancé who is due to have the sleeve in a few weeks. Im going to do it with him to kickstart myself and support him :wacko:

• Like 2

i tried to be creative ..... roasting vegies ,,,, then mixing them up to a chutney style... and having a couple of table spoons on lettuce. i stuffed tomatoes with vegies and the same paste.

what are the vegies you like ?

and the strawberries i mashed and had in my shake sometimes with lots of smashed ice and stuck it in the freezer .... just for a change

• Like 2

Two cups seems little :()

I am already coming up wtih recipe ideas. I am allowed 4 strawberries a day hahahahahaha. And there are two cups of vege in the meal planner now I see the examples but no actual limits in the hand out the dietician gave me.

Once you start to see the scales go down it gives you the boost you need to get through that terrible first few days.

I know that was the only thing that kept me on track was seeing those numbers go down.

Def check out the website - there are lots of recipes you can try out. Try and put some fresh herbs into for flavour too.

Good Luck!

• Like 2

I just discovered that one of my favourite curry mixes is fat and carb free. It's just got some salt but I'm getting leg cramps through lack of salt anyway, do you think tha twould be OK?

B-A ...... i am actually very surprised at how easy it all was and that my nerves and worries where good to have but not needed. i am pretty much back to being fully functional. ..... my only drama is the port is right next to my belly button which is on the line of most of my pants ..... some days i might start in a pair of pants .. and after a bit pull them off cause i am feeling a little pressure when i bend to pick something up. but i am confident this will pass when my scar heals fully. i am currently on minced food and it is nice to just have a bit of texture. but i certainly can feel my clothes are looser and i had to change a ring to another finger cause i nearly lost it while hanging clothes on the line. I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT HUNGRY..... i have gone from eating everything all the time ... to going oh sheeeet do i have to eat again ... and that is only 1/2 cup portions...... it took me ages to eat a fruche yoghurt the other day .... not because i was pacing myself and thinking about mouthful times..... i just have no erge to shovel food in like i used it ..... it is so bizarre really. it is like i have had a new brain implant when it comes to my behaviour with food.

i had 2 days of panamax.... and have about a weekish on and off of Degas. ..... and a little bit of struggle sleeping ...only cause i am a side/ belly sleeper .....my only gripe is that i ended up with a bladder infection which is not because of the banding ..... it happens to me every time i have anesthetics

now my next thing i am thinking about is "the first fill"

• Like 2

From what I have gathered, everyone seems to be on different versions of optifast. For example, per day - I am on 3 products, unlimited [but at least 2 cups] non-starchy veggies, 1 palm sized serve of lean protein, 1 tsp of oil and at least 2L water/low-joule, no carbohydrate drinks. I'm not allowed any carbonated drinks, diet or otherwise and no fruit either. 1 caffeinated drink [or unlimited decaf] and a splash of skim milk for coffee.

I think it's a matter of checking what your dietician told you and sticking to that, otherwise it could be easy to get confused by what other people are allowed and therefore what user recipes say.

Good luck to you allin the opti phase - it's going to be an interesting few weeks!

• Like 1

My dietician said no limits on allowed vegetables or any kind of berry (although the cost of fresh blueberries is a limit in itself!). I make up a big salad to have with lunch and a big pot of soup (using vegetable or chicken stock) to have for dinner. I found I couldn't stand the Optifast soups but didn't mind the lemon creme dessert, so I mixed that with a small punnet of blueberries for a special treat. My usual day would be:

Breakfast: Optifast shake variation (see below)

Lunch: Big green salad and Optifast shake

Dinner: Big bowl of soup and Optifast lemon creme dessert with a punnet of blueberries

Variations on Vanilla Optifast shakes:

• With skim milk, 1/4 tspn nutmeg and 1/2 tspn cinnamon - delicious!
  • With skim milk, 1 tspn coffee, 1 tspn cinnamon sugar, 1/4 tspn nutmeg - like having a coffee spice cake!
  • With skim milk and a punnet of strawberries, so yum!
  • With water and 1 scoop low fat french vanilla ice cream
  • With skim milk and 1/4 tspn peppermint essence
  • With skim milk and 1 table spn ginger syrup

Other things you can add: diet/low cal ice cream toppings, e.g. caramel, strawberry, banana, coconut essence, orange essence.

ALWAYS mix in a blender with at least 4 ice cubes - it makes a world of difference, even if you used very chilled skim milk. Challenge yourself to make each one different and only go back to the absolute favourites. You'll find yourself looking forward to the faves (mine is the coffee spice cake one!)

I added some berries to my shakes when I was starting them before my official start date, but now I just have plain vanilla with ice. I am actually enjoying them!

Everyone's certainly been given different requirements. I was told to have 3 optifast a day.. Allowed 2 cups of certain veggies and certain fruits.. That's it..

I'm so extremely paranoid of my liver not shrinking, I'm struggling to have anything..

I know there's so many more people having more food than what I've even been given, but I'm stressing bad!!

I'm having about 300calories a day, my fear is getting the better of me that my surgeon will cancel..

On the plus side I've lost nearly 6kgs in 9days

Don't stress amyy11... I've lost 6 kilos in 13 days. I have been having a lot of vegetables, as my dietician said unlimited, and I was hungry a lot. I have been worried my liver won't have shrunk enough too. My anesthetist said they look for  6 kilo loss, that means the liver will be good. So you should be fine...

• Like 2

Don't stress amyy11... I've lost 6 kilos in 13 days. I have been having a lot of vegetables, as my dietician said unlimited, and I was hungry a lot. I have been worried my liver won't have shrunk enough too. My anesthetist said they look for 6 kilo loss, that means the liver will be good. So you should be fine...

Oh really?? I haven't really been told anything!! I've now lost 7.3 in 12 days, want at least another kilo.. Worst case scenario to be cancelled! Haha especially since my best friend is flying from interstate!! Thanks for the reassurance :D

Surgeon said my liver was great! Hope all went well for you...

good luck, you can do it! Im start next monday with my fiancé who is due to have the sleeve in a few weeks. Im going to do it with him to kickstart myself and support him :wacko:

Good on you Kylie ....That is great . :wub:  :wub:  :wub: