DaveTownsend

Donation info for BandingTogether

Hi Everyone,

So after numerous requests I have finally created a link so you can donate to BandingTogether. As I hope you all know, this site has never been about money for me, and since April 2009 I have paid for it out of my own pocket (apart from a few donations I was lucky enough to receive on the old version of the site a couple of years ago). I have resisted putting any advertising on here, and honestly felt bad about putting any sort of Donate button on here because I really didn't need the money, and I was happy to support the site :)

However it's time to admit that I do need a bit of help. Next year I have been lucky enough to be accepted into the Honours Research program as part of my course, but unfortunately that means for next year I will not receive my generous Federal Government scholarship. And having closed my design business down to concentrate on my medical studies, next year is going to be pretty tight for me (the first time I have ever had to get Centrelink!).

So if you want to donate a couple of dollars towards the hosting costs and forum licence fees for the site (we get over 200,000 hits a month so they are substantial), I would very much appreciate it. But please, do not in any way feel that you have to ... this site always has been and always will be completely free and you will never again see any ads on here (at one stage we had a few ads on here a couple of years ago and I removed them because it just made me feel dirty!)

If you do want to donate, please use the Paypal button on our new About Us page (yep, it only took me 3 years to make one!): http://www.bandingtogether.com.au/community/page/index.html

Thanks,

Dave

• Like 10

well i think this is great idea ......

i wonder if everybody had to pay $12 as a yearly membership to this forum ... if that would help out. and i dont think that is too much to ask. my hubby goes on a camping or fishing forum .. and you pay a year fee of $12 ... small price i think considering how much you spend on a coffee and a chat with friends on any given day. basically a $1 a month and make it due in Jan each year ... so if you join in sept .. you pay the remainder of the year. i would also give 2 months free so you try before you buy and decide if this is for you.

wonder what everybody else thinks about this .....rather than a random donation.

Also i dont think you are a business and are able to claim any of the expenses on tax ...... but good luck with a fairer out come to you Dave.

• Like 5

Hi Dave

As an active user of this site, I am more than happy to chip in what I can :)

I have to be honest and say if I were a new user, I would not be willing to pay to use the site. However now being a member, I'd gladly pay $12 a year to stay a member of such a valuable community.

I think if you introduce membership fees, you need to give people the first 3 months free or something to draw them in and see what a wealth of knowledge and advice can be found here.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Just to be clear, the site will always be free. I understand what you are saying about subscriptions etc but I simply could not charge someone for access to help and support ... All that means I am doing is turning all of you into a product I can sell (in my opinion).

It's different for something like fishing or another hobby, to me this site is about helping people trying to make one of the hardest decisions of their life, so ethically and morally I could never live with myself if I charged for that.

If people choose to donate, it is most welcome, but it should never be a condition of acceptance into this community :)

Dave

• Like 16

This site has been a lifeline for me and i have found some wonderful friends and amazing support through the site, more than happy to support. Dave you are a legend :)

• Like 2

Being a poor/unemployed uni student myself i can't afford to donate at the moment but i definitely will in the near future, its a great forum. thanks dave

• Like 2

About time you slack Admin! ;) Happy to donate to keep the site ad free. Congratulations on the getting onto the research program BTW-even though it means you have to go to Centrelink :(

I agree that rather than a subscription, to donate what you can afford. I think Dave mentioned sometime earlier that it has cost him around $1k a year to keep this site going and it's a lot to come out of a students pocket. So every bit of donation counts :)

• Like 1

Happy to support Dave. I appeciate this site and the work you put in. Good luck with your studies.

Being a poor/unemployed uni student myself i can't afford to donate at the moment but i definitely will in the near future, its a great forum. thanks dave

I threw in a little extra on your behalf. :)

• Like 1

Can I just say a big THANK YOU! to everyone who has donated. I have just been able to pay the licence fees for the forum software we use (which are not cheap) thanks to your donations! (we used to run on a free and open source forum software but we were constantly getting spam and attacks so I made the decision to use a commerical package a couple of years ago ... best decision I ever made!)

The generosity of spirit that you have all shown to each other on this site has never ceased to amaze me, but I am truly gobsmacked by the generosity you have shown in helping to keep this site going (not that I would ever close it, I would rather live off baked beans for a few weeks than let you all down like that!)

Thanks again, it has truly made my day!

Dave

• Like 6

Thanks Dave,

Congratulations on getting into the research program.

I do hope next year in particular but at any time you need assistance with funds for the site you will let us know.

Thanks for all you've done so far, I wouldn't be where I am now without this forum.

S

• Like 1

I would rather live off baked beans for a few weeks than let you all down like that!

Dave

To protect the olfactory senses of the poor patients you visit I am so pleased that everyone chipped in enough!! :lol:

• Like 6

given the help, advice, support and friends I have made through this site, I think it's the least I can do!

Just in the few weeks I have been using this forum I have benefited so much from the experience and knowledge of the members. Thank you for creating and maintaining this website. I hope our dontations are enough to keep the site self sufficient!

Done ..will try to remember to donate each year...Thanks Dave...

are you a P plate  doc now up=graded from a L  :)

Marion

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say another big thank you to everyone who has donated to the website. Since I added the donate button there has been a steady flow of donations (and a wonderful person who sent me a gift card as well!). 

Can't thank you all enough, it's making this year a lot more manageable for me!

Dave

• Like 1

Yep, only been here a week and its a wealth of info, especially for a newbie. I'll head over and donate now :)

• Like 1