Sign in to follow this  
Marchpig

Yum Cha

We had dinner tonight out of the Coles freezer section, we found that they now stock just about everything you need for Yum Cha, steamed dumplings, bbq pork buns, dim sims etc.

I know fresh is best but we live in the Goldfields and as far as I can ascertain there is no Yum Cha in Kalgoorlie or surrounds.

anyhoo, just wanted to pass this on as I found the steamed prawn dumplings, mini dim sims, shitake and veg dumplings and chicken and coriander dumplings really easy to eat, the pork bun took a bit more chewing to pulp down otherwise it got a little stuck at the band.

Just nice to be able to eat something a little different to the usual fair.

• Like 4

unfortunately the sticky rice wrapper on dumplings usually gets stuck for me :( I really miss yum cha! but not because i always have carb overload and need a sleep

• Like 1

I am lucky that I can eat the prawn gyozas which are my favourite and I make a mean spicy dipping sauce which my Exec Chef friend said sounds really good. I fry them frozen with a dripping of oil in the frying pan and when they are browned add a little water and put a lid on the pan and steam for approx 10 min let them cool a bit as when they are too hot I seem to eat too fast without chewing and then have a stuck moment. These Gyozas are in the freezer at Coles and are their homebrand. I only have about 6 at a time now but could easily have more. The pork buns I cannot eat they get stuck so I am now avoiding them.

good tip on cooking the gyozas! thanks!