princess_mercedes

Help please....

I have been banded for almost 14 months now. I have lost 40kg all up but put a couple back on in the past few weeks due to stress. My last fill was in April, which was a bit tight but I did ok. The first couple off weeks after that fill I had to start sleeping o my side and not eating anything late at night or I would get night reflux. But I figured I could live with the tightness as it really controlled my eating.

The last month or so I have been really struggling. Overeating, getting stuck and then having to vomit to clear the blockage. I would overeat knowing that I could then vomit and go to bed with any empty stomach. The reflux was starting to get worse and I have taken to sleeping on the couch to stop the night time reflux. But then 2 weeks ago it got worse. I had a bad day food wise and stuck/vomit wise and had to sleep on the couch. I was waking every 30 to 40 minutes and vomiting up my saliva. Nothing would stay down. So in the end I just waited until the morning, and then the vomiting/reflux stopped. I had a huge sports drink and got a few hours sleep. Saturday night was a bit better but not great. So I arranged to get some fill taken out on Tuesday. When I lay down on the table in the surgery, I couldn’t lay for very long because the saliva was backing up. The dr took out ¾ ml and said that it should take a week or so to settle down.

So, then to celebrate??? I started eating more and now am back to where I was 2 weeks ago. I am overeating, then purging and now my throat feels swollen and I know I won’t get much sleep tonight either. I started off today on just liquids hoping to fix the issue but caved into food when I got home from work.

I need people’s suggestions as to what I should do. I have been super stressed which is why I am over eating, but I seem stuck in a rut at the moment.

Do I go back onto fluids only for a few days and hope the swelling goes down or should I go see the dr and get more fill taken out, knowing that I will probably start eating even more and then start putting weight on?

Any ideas and all honesty appreciated. Thanks

Can i ask do you have a councilor or someone to help you through your stress? As once you work through your stress then it would be more easier to manage.

• Like 1

Heya Princess -

Nice to hear from you and that you've been doing so well - but not so good to hear you've having a tough time of it at the moment.

My guess would be that from the PB'ing and vomiting you're probably getting the area around the band sore and swollen so it's all feeling tighter.

The keyboard warrior in me would suggest sticking to fluids for a couple day........ but if it was as easy as that........

How much are you up to in your band? I'm at 9.2 and it seems to be just right if not a little tight.

Have to admit I'm a little jealous of your 40kgs! You've done so well. I got to about 30kg and then learned how to eat around the band and had a bit of a gain but I'm slowly slowly starting to loose again.

• Like 1

I'd do two things. Get a barium swallow and see a psychologist to work out why you are continuing to do something you know you shouldn't. With luck your psychologist might suggest some strategies to help you through.

Now one of my bug bears of this sight is the frequency with which people suggest getting a swallow done for the simplest things. But night time reflux is one of the danger signs and if it as bad as you suggest even after having some full out I would be concerned.

Nicolalia is right, the area is probablly inflamed from all the pb'ing and vomiting. A stint on fluids might help calm the situation. But I would definitely see your surgeon to discuss ALL of your difficulties. Be frank and honest. Your team can't help you if they don't know what is happening.

Best of luck.

• Like 3

HI Princess. Sorry you are having such a hard time of things but I hear you on the stress thing. I was doing the same thing myself just recently and knew why, but it was hard to control. Luckily my band is tight enough without being too tight and I was able to stay at the same weight rather than put any on.

If you have a psychologist connected with your clinic, I'd see if you can make an appointment. There are all sorts of reasons why we overeat and while it is difficult to control these without the band, he/ she may have some good strategies to help you with the band. For example, instead of shovelling the food in (I know that's what I want to do), maybe suck on a sugar less lolly or take sips of water. Other ideas could be to make a deal with yourself: wait 10 minutes before eating and if you still really want it after that time, then allow yourself to have it. The odds are that the urge to eat will be gone by then. It's a bit like giving up smoking.

Good luck.

Can I suggest that you go back on the optifast .. If you can stomach it .. And also go for some counseling for sure .. Hope it sorts itself out soon . All the best and well done on loosing 40 kgs :)

Hi I had night reflux for months, PBings etc had fluid taken out over several months until nothing was left. Had a barrium swallow and had a symmetrical dialation of the pouch. This is not to say that you have this. Be careful though that by being too tight your not creating a bigger issue. I'd suggest a barrium swallow to see if things are okay. I feel for you as I know the frustration and pain that comes with night reflux.

Take care