lotzajo77

Advice needed for post lap band 1st 2 weeks

Hi all,

I am hoping to get your advice on how to handle the post band early days. How you felt, any highs and lows, where there any surprises? were you anxious at all? I would be grateful for any help as I am absolutely new to posting. (it took me ages to work out how to even post this message)!

Well done for joining us!

There are lots of highs and lows post banding. My experience was mostly highs, but lots of people get the 'blues' a few days or so after banding. Almost everyone seams to crash sometime in the firs threw weeks.

I spent a lot is time reading these forums, so there wasn't any real unexpected surprises for me. The pain post-surgery was not as bad as I was anticipating, and my recovery went smoothly.

I was surprised by the fact that even weeks after surgery, I would still get twinges of pain around my largest scar. It's been a month in the surgery and I rolled over in bed the other night and got some pain, nothing serious, but wasn't expecting it.

Good luck in your journey!

• Like 1

Hi Lotzajo77. I was super anxious pre op. i cried, freaked, changed my mind a hundred times. I have a child and the thought of dieing on the op table crossed my mind alot. Post op I felt better than I thought I would. The pain was minimal - nothing a few panadols couldn't handle. Surprises for me was the shoulder tip pain, although you read about it alot it still took me by surprise how painful it was , It didn't hit me until day 3. By about day 7 life was pretty much back to normal. I haven't had any regrets and I'm 3 months post op.

• Like 1

Hi ya

I was banded on tuesday and I think I really down played the op. I was expecting to come out with very little pain and even made plans to do stuff with the kids 2 days after the op!!! Silly me. The wind pain for me was excruciating! It was in my chest rather than my shoulder and lasted a couple of days. Luckily it is mostly gone now but it does come and go. The wounds are sore too although nothing I can't handle. I find if I do too much they are sorer. Hiccups and burps hurt as does laughing. (I have decided to stay away from those friends that make me laugh too much as it really hurts hahah). Apart from that I am only in my first week so have no other real highs or lows.

God luck with your journey!

Sarah

• Like 1

Oh Sarahbelle, now I'm nervous!

Like the other ladies, I've done lots of reading on here so I guess I consider myself 'well armed' but I've also done what Sarah said she did, and planned a few things with the kids! I'm in for my op on Monday then on Thursday my daughter (age 6) is having her 'student-led conference' at school that we are attending. It's basically a parent/child conference where she gets to show us what she does in the classroom and how she learns. That same day, my son (4 years) has his 'grandfathers day' and as my father has only just come back into my kids' lives, I want to go along to help him navigate things!

Really hope I'm up to it!

Jazzyjane I have been still doing things. Yesterday, so whats that 4 days post op I went to the park with a group of parents and kids from my sons school. Admittedly I sat in a chair for most of it but then had to go to indoor soccor that afternoon. I was sore after and probably over did it but we can't stop when we have kids. Today I took my son to a disco party, I also drove. Again I am a little sore but I will live. The worst part is that I laugh alot - and wow that hurts!!!! So You may be ok by the friday. Just sit whenever you can. I have had friends that have been banded and fine 2 days later so you would never have known they got it done - unfortionetely I was just not one of them!!! You might be!! They say everyone is different! I'd say while we can't just stop when we are parents, listen to your body. If you need to stop and sit - do it.

x

Post op is different for everyone, and you can never really prepare for how you will feel. I had the worst shoulder and neck pain, that was gone by the next day. I did however have the blues and the WTF have I done moments. However when the weight starts dropping off all that is worth it. You will be fine.

Well done for joining us!

There are lots of highs and lows post banding. My experience was mostly highs, but lots of people get the 'blues' a few days or so after banding. Almost everyone seams to crash sometime in the firs threw weeks.

I spent a lot is time reading these forums, so there wasn't any real unexpected surprises for me. The pain post-surgery was not as bad as I was anticipating, and my recovery went smoothly.

I was surprised by the fact that even weeks after surgery, I would still get twinges of pain around my largest scar. It's been a month in the surgery and I rolled over in bed the other night and got some pain, nothing serious, but wasn't expecting it.

Good luck in your journey!

d

Maxine can I ask where u had your surgery? I'm in qld too :)

I've planned an appointment with the bank and hairdresser on Friday (4 days post op)- that might be fun if I'm bent over double with wind pain !

Taken a week off work but won't hesitate to extend it if I'm not pain free by then.

I had shoulder pain for six days can't describe it so sore but feel like a person again now but going to take an extra couple of days off as get tired easy so will be 8 days off

I had my band fitted friday its the back pain that gets me other to that i feel great allbeit a bit sore around my wounds. I had bad day yesterday were i was really hungry and made the mistake of nibbling on wholemeal toast and a peice of bacon ( dont know what possessed me) then called my dietician frantic lol i suffered today but feeling fine now and definitely sticking to plan. My band at present has nothing in it, and iv been told i wont feel such restriction until it gets filled a few times is this correct.

Should only be on liquids for now, then mushies.  (As you found out!! ;) ) Some surgeons put a bit of fill others don't-so ask next time you see him/her.  This is healing time and there will be a fair bit of swelling right now-So stick to the plan!  It will be a gradual fill from now on but the important think to remember is to stick to portions-don't have to finish your plate.

• Like 1

Thank you and yes im totally sticking to plan, i wont be making that mistake again anytime soon lol : ) 

Edited by Karen
  • Like 1