Mrs B

Hi there, I'm Mrs B!

Hi everyone!

I joined the site today and wanted to introduce myself.

I've been struggling with my weight for about 10 years now. I've tried every diet out there and the only thing that seems to work is when I've been put on Xenical or Reductil. I maintain it for a short while but then the weight just goes back on again when something stressful happens in my life.

My husband suggested lap band surgery to me a while ago as although he thinks I'm perfect, he can see how miserable I am and how much I obsess about my weight. On top of this my father has been in hospital for 2 out of the last 4 months with complications arising from mismanaged diabetes. I also just fou d out that 4 out of 7 in my dads immediate family have diabetes.

So I took myself off to my gp and got a referral to see Dr Craig Taylor in Crows Nest. Although my BMI is a (relatively) low 31, I also have high blood pressure, depression and higher than normal levels of cholesterol. I'm booked in to meet with Dr Taylor on Friday 6/12 and surgery should be 4-6 weeks post consultation.

I am equally excited and terrified about the changes that will come around from the surgery. Mostly I'm worrid about losing my best friend... Food.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all and hearing any tips or words of encouragement you have to share ;)

Mrs B

• Like 1

Congrats for making a choice to change! Wishing that your opti days/recovery will be quick and full of healing and excitement (for the opti stage not the healing) Good luck!

Hello there Mrs B and welcome,

Sounds like you have an amazing hubby and he will be a good support for you in times to come.

You have so much to benefit from getting a band. It's not unheard of for the majority of the health issues you have mentioned here to disappear completely throughout the banding journey and I know there is a number of bandits on this site that could tell you a story or two about how the whole thing has helped them regarding depression.

Do not worry about food. No need to panic. I really think I love food even more than I ever did before and I enjoy it so much more too but the best part is I'm free from it as well. I don't have to feel guilty about it anymore.

Anyway, kick off your shoes and make yourself at home :-)

• Like 1

Hey Mrs B

Sounds like you have a supportive hubby!

I'm a patient of Dr Taylors too and happy wtih my decision to be banded by him and continue my care through his clinic

For what it is worth you aren't losing your best friend you are changing the relationship you have. I still love food, now though it's not my only friend :P.

Before your appointment do some research, write down your questions and take them with you.

If you'd like to chat, PM me, I'd be happy to grab a coffee (and maybe share a cake!).

S

Thanks guys :)

I've been reading a lot on here and I'm sure that if everyone else can do it, I can too but it's so nice to hear that others had the same relationship with food as I did and are now happy :)

I'm also really looking forward to getting to know people here as I'm not telling anyone about my surgery. Well not yet anyway... I come from a 'thin' family and I doubt they'll understand.

welcome to the group and congratulations on your decission to be banded ..Look forward to following your journey..check out the gallery you will see many success stories and find a great deal of inspirational people there..

Marion

Mrs B,

I have battled depression (as well as my weight, obviously) for a number of years. I have been banded now for 5 weeks on Saturday, and I can definitely feel I have turned a corner. It is great that you have support in your hubby, as you will need him along the way! I definitely still love food, but I don't feel guilty about it any more. If I want chocolate, I'll have chocolate.

And I had nachos for dinner - just to let you feel a bit better about the journey :)

Good luck and make use of us!

Welcome Mrs B. You will find this an amazing site for support and knowledge. Any question you need an answer to, someone on here will have experienced it first hand or will know of a solution. Your husband sounds like mine and he has been my greatest support. Good luck on your journey. Liz

1 week and 1 day till my surgeons appt. I can't wait!

• Like 1

Welcome Mrs B

You have made the right decision and won'took back. I am only 5 weeks banded, no Opti and have lost 8kg already.

It is a whole new world, not without challenges but I'm enjoying setting mini goals and working towards them knowing its all up to me.

• Like 1

Meeting with surgeon tomorrow to get my date!!!

Good luck tomorrow! Write your questions down and take them with you!

Let us know how you go!!

S

• Like 1

good luck with your appointment ...... i have seriously not felt so good about myself, my ability to consume food, and the want for exercise ...... this has not been me in 20 years i am finding the whole journey exciting and liberating. Me feeling good about me has been great .... i have gone from a size 24 to easily an 18 and some 16 in reg clothes shops. .... so i wish you well and hope your journey has been as smooth and relatively easy as mine.....my only thing ... is i question now why did i wait so long, but you have to be ready and so glad i have turned my life around.

xoxox

• Like 1

I'm sitting out the front now... Have arrived 15 minutes early. I don't think I felt this nervous/excited when walking down the isle!!! Now let's go see what Dr Taylor has to say...

• Like 1

Done!! Surgery is booked for 21st Jan!! Feels like a lifetime away! Can't wait