Sign in to follow this  
Jaxy

Just getting on the bandwagon!

Hi All,

I just thought I should give a formal "Hello". This site is just wonderful and I am really grateful to everyone who shares their stories - good and bad!

I wont bore you too much with mine though - same old yo-yo dieting, Personal training injuries, fat genes, and have decided to pull my head out of the sand! I have had enough of beating myself up about my weight and wearing fat frumpy daggy clothes. So banding it is!

I have to say though - even with all the stories and knowledge and information - I am getting a little bit more nervous each week, and with each step I take. The chat with the doctor for a referral, getting the bloods and urine done, and the next step is meeting the surgeon - Stewart Skinner in Melbourne (has anyone been banded by him??) - on December 4th. I don't think I have really sat down for a decent length of time and talked about how fat i am and how unhappy it makes me. Im not looking forward to it - but at the same time I am!

Anyway, I have some questions about time frames. How long from your initial meeting with the surgeon was it before you got banded? Did you have to wait long? Does everyone do Optifast and if so, for how long? Also how long was your stay and can you describe the whole process from arrival to getting home?

I am hoping to prepare myself for the journey, so any information will be appreciated.

Good luck to you all!

Hi I am just about to tune out and head to bed been doing book work so I can have a relaxing day off tomorrow (the joys of having a home office is setting my own hours lol)

Welcome to the group , my experience was rather FAST I saw the surgeon and booked in with in 10 days so my optifast was just 9 days by the time I got the supply.. :) Glad I didn`t have a long wait , I think most do the optifast as it makes the liver shrink making the surgery easier...

I remember the excitement and nerves , you will be fine I haven`t once regreted my decision, I wished I had done it sooner...

Good Luck I look forward to following your journey..

Nite Marion

Hi All,

I just thought I should give a formal "Hello". This site is just wonderful and I am really grateful to everyone who shares their stories - good and bad!

I wont bore you too much with mine though - same old yo-yo dieting, Personal training injuries, fat genes, and have decided to pull my head out of the sand! I have had enough of beating myself up about my weight and wearing fat frumpy daggy clothes. So banding it is!

I have to say though - even with all the stories and knowledge and information - I am getting a little bit more nervous each week, and with each step I take. The chat with the doctor for a referral, getting the bloods and urine done, and the next step is meeting the surgeon - Stewart Skinner in Melbourne (has anyone been banded by him??) - on December 4th. I don't think I have really sat down for a decent length of time and talked about how fat i am and how unhappy it makes me. Im not looking forward to it - but at the same time I am!

Anyway, I have some questions about time frames. How long from your initial meeting with the surgeon was it before you got banded? Did you have to wait long? Does everyone do Optifast and if so, for how long? Also how long was your stay and can you describe the whole process from arrival to getting home?

I am hoping to prepare myself for the journey, so any information will be appreciated.

Good luck to you all!

Hi Jax

I thought about it for about a year then spoke with my GP. She gave me the Lapband Solution book by Prof Paul OBrien and this helped me hugely to understand exactly what was involved, there was also a DVD of one of his seminars.

She referred me to him at CBS in Glen Iris and they sent me for loads of blood tests. about 3 weeks later I saw him and booked in at The Avenue in Prahran. It was about 3 weeks after I saw him(15 Oct this year).

I was really scared the week before and questioned my decision and the money-$4500 out of pocket. I have top medibank cover. This fee covers all follow up appts as well as surgery and dietician.

Had surgery on Monday at about 10.30am, one hour Op. went home Tues lunchtime feeling awful, nausea and alot of wind pain. The incision pain was hardly anything to me as I've had major surgery before.

Had 4 weeks on liquid through to mashed up food to solid food and everything was fine. Had my first fill this week which makes band alot tighter and it's taking a while to settle down as it feels restrictive.

Don't regret your decision, I have dropped 6 kg in 4 weeks. No Optifast for me. I am already above the plan the surgeon has set for me and he is really happy with me. (20% of my excess weight lost).

Others will give you their journey and you will get the idea.

Hi All,

Good luck to you all!

Hello and Welcome Jaxy!

It was 6 weeks from my meeting my surgeon to the op. I did 3 weeks on Optifast (awful). My operation was done on the 13th October at the Avenue. I was second in in the morning, was back in my room by 12.00pm, and stayed overnight. Pain was awful...bloaty, gassy. You never realise how much you use your ab muscles until you have them messed with!

Went home the next morning. Was really sore, and was doped up on pain meds for the next week and a bit. Lived on Up and Go and juice.

Was on liquids for the next week and a bit, then started on mushy foods (was supposed to be on liquids for 2 weeks but couldn't wait that long). Started mixing up more solid and mushy foods.

Had a fill last Friday, after a day, was back to eating normally.

I don't regret this for one moment. I have lost 10kg since optifast, and I am happy with that. I am still eating most of the same foods, just in smaller proportions!

Hi Jaxy and Welcome,

You are about to go through a massive change in your life and around the same time I remember a roller coaster of emotions. I was happy, nervous, scared, self-reflective the whole works.

2.5 years later, it is the best thing I have ever done and I'd gladly do it over again if I had to.

I was banded by Stewart Skinner through Centre for Bariatric Surgery. He is a man of very few words but I've never wished I had anyone else. In my initial consultation with him he wanted to hear about my dieting history, told me a few bits and pieces about banding and said that I needed to book in for an information session that is run by CBS.

I attended the info night, where I was given a copy of Professor O'Briens book (Excellent read. full of information and highly readable.) within a few weeks after the info session I went back to see Mr Skinner again (had bloods taken somewhere along the way) he gave me an opportunity to ask questions and told me to contact his reception Yyvonne (lovely LOVELY lady) to book an appointment. Somewhere in there I also had a consultation with a dietitian which was over the phone and she emailed me all the documentation I needed for post op eating etc.

I was booked in for my band 3.5 weeks later and had to do 2 weeks of opti prior to the surgery day. I think my op was scheduled for about 1pm and I had to be there at about 11am. My hubby drove me in and they let him stay with me in all the various waiting areas until I was taken away for surgery. I had to check in, get changed into all the surgical gowns etc (don't panic its a lapband procedure and I was so relieved to have a gown that fit AND a dressing gown to cover up the crack in the back of it.) I was weighed, had my blood pressure taken, etc and eventually I got into bed.

After the op I reckon I spent the better part of 3 days sleeping off the anaesthetic. I was in hospital overnight, had the barium swallow and xray the next day to make sure everything was in place and fluid was getting through and hubby drove me home that morning (around 11am) I slept heaps that day and come Friday my hubby was supposed to go back to work but I asked him to stay home because I wasn't confident with getting off the couch to the toilet etc by myself.

Within the week I was able to drive again and was only off work for 2 weeks all up.

That's pretty much the earliest days of my experience. I joined this forum around a week after I got banded because I was having difficulty turning myself over in bed at night but that was just because of the healing from the port being stitched in. It was nice to be able to reach out though and hear from other people that what I was going through was normal.

Feel free to ask if you'd like to know anything else.