scoots

Sleeve done in canberra

Hope your appt with Siva went well! I bet he's happy with your progress! :-)

Yep, he was all happy. Gotta see him again in 3 months, my personal goal is to get under 100kg by my appointment on september 13, i should hopefully be able to get to low to mid 90s, but i'm going with realistic highly acheivable goals, coz it feels great to reach a goal but crappy not too!

That's great Scoots!  I am finally going to my first appointment with Circle of Care in July.  I am probably going without a referral as my GP is still being a pain but at least I can get some more information.

• Like 1

Are you aware that if you don't have a referral you can't claim anything back on medicare? Would your gp not give you a referral if you explained that you were only initially going in order to get more information? Very annoying that your gp is being a bit obstructive!

Scoots I'm giving her one more chance on Tuesday when I see the dietician as well.  I'm going in with a list of all the diets I have been on and will remind her of the fact that my thyroid is borderline and if she won't give me one I will switch doctors at the centre! 

I got an email from COC and they said without a referral it will cost $150.  If I end up getting one I may end up checking out Canberra Bariatric but depending on getting my super out and the rest that will determine on where I go. 

It has been a frustrating experience, also because SO many people (not just drs) have tried to talk me out of it.  But I know what I need to do for me.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons i only told 3 people pre op, I've told a couple more now, but i did have some health professionals attempt to talk me out of it, thankfully not my gp though

• Like 1

Good for you. Its your body and your health. Go for it :) The information can only be a good thing.

That's great Scoots!  I am finally going to my first appointment with Circle of Care in July.  I am probably going without a referral as my GP is still being a pain but at least I can get some more information.

• Like 1

ok, so down another 1.5kg this week.  I've had a really bad week with reflux this week, primarily due to starting soft/normal foods and eating things that my stomach wasn't ready for, thankfully its settling now, problem is i don't know what my stomach won't like until i eat it!  and it doesn't seem to necessarily matter how hard or soft something is, the only thing so far that i have noticed is that spicy or tomato-ey foods don't agree well, so trying to stick to more bland foods if i can...

and if i can lose just 1.3kg over this next week i will be 110 point something for my birthday, which is my goal, so looking good for reaching that!

ooo, just worked out that my birthday goal will also put me at 30% to goal, excellent!

Oh you're doing excellent Scoots! When is your birthday? I'm glad the reflux is settling down - that would be awful for you. Are you on meds? My reflux has settled down quite a bit and i'm just starting to ween myself down to one pariet in the morning instead of one morning and night, seems to be ok. 

Wish I could say i'm losing or at least maintaining, my weight seems to be going up slowly since the surgery and deciding not to get anymore fill. It's my own fault though - bad food choices and binge eating (stress) plus I had a shocker on the weekend alcohol wise. I'm not a regular drinker and I just can't tolerate alcohol as much as I used to be able to especially now that i'm smaller - lesson learnt! Anyway we move forward and hope and pray that no damage was done to the band in the process.

So I'm determined to get back on track this week and lose the last 2.5-3kg that i've managed to put on before I get my wedding dress fitted in 8-9 weeks time.

68.8kg this morning...

Yeah, i'm on somac, i've been using a bit of mylanta over the last week on top of that though. My birthday is next wednesday the 26th, will be the ripe old age of 32 :P. glad you've been able to start weaning you pariet, there was a time many many years ago that i was on double dose somac and double dose pariet, thankfully my reflux is not that bad currently, and hopefully never again!

I was feeling a bit stressed about some stuff a week r so ago, had a strong urge whilst in coles to buy some chocolate but managed to not give in to that urge...i'm sure you can get back on top of things and lose those few kilos you've put on!

Wow - that must have been horrendous reflux! I bet you're relieved (and Siva) that the sleeve hasn't made things any worse - seems like you've made the best decision on all accounts. :-)

Yeah I think I will lose it without too much trouble - I tend to put it on quickly give myself a wrap over the knuckles and lose it over a 2-3 weeks. Just need to behave myself and not buy things in the weekly shopping that i'm known to binge on and i'll be ok. 

I did a new Jillian Michaels DVD this morning and i'm feeling it already in my triceps! Ouchy!

Yeah, it was pretty bad. Hopefully it won't be something that is ever too bad again and will perhaps go away altogether as i lose more weight and there is less pressure on my stomach from fat and organs.

Sounds like a plan! Hehe, i went swimming the other week and had that problem, very ouchie, but need to keep going back!

hi all, been a while since i've done a bit of an update, just got caught up with life and stuff, you know how it is.  so this morning was weigh in day for me and i hopped on those scales feeling sure that they were going to go up, i ended up eating chocolate almost every day in the past week, not planned in any way, but we've had heaps of chocolatey stuff at work recently and i've been feeling a bit flat, i think primarily just adjusting to having the sleeve, and work is a little stressful currently coz we are busy and short staffed, anyways, most days that i had chocolate was only a tim tam or two or similar sized but on saturday night was having a particularly not so great day and ate most of a bag of malteasers, not good, anyways hopped on the scales this morning after having a conversation with myself where i considered not even weighing this morning, and low adn behold i lost 1.1kg, couldn't quite believe it, so ecstatic given my eating habits the last week, my lack of exercise and also ecstatic coz i'm now under 110kg and i'm also over a third of the way to goal, so just imagine what i could do if i was eating a bit better and exercising.  so, my plan over the next few days is to make a better plan for exercising and write it down and stick it on the wall, and also i need to do better at planning my dinners, i eat well for pretty much the whole day then i can't be buggered making dinner, this has always been a problem for me, so i'm gonna cook up some meals that can be frozen so i can have healthy dinners that i just need to chuck in the microwave when i'm at the end of the day and can't be bothered...a few weeks ago i had cheese omlettes for dinner the majority of the week coz it was easy to make....hmmmm.....

anyways, hope that everyone is going well :)  i'll have a look at my roster in the next day or so and see if i'm free on the proposed dates for a get together, i'd look now but i'm on the couch and my roster is on the fridge and i'm feeling too lazy to get up :P 

• Like 2

Good on you Scoots.  TIme we had another catch up.  I'm free next weekend, but not the one after (20/21 July).  Patty

hi all, been a while since i've done a bit of an update, just got caught up with life and stuff, you know how it is.  so this morning was weigh in day for me and i hopped on those scales feeling sure that they were going to go up, i ended up eating chocolate almost every day in the past week, not planned in any way, but we've had heaps of chocolatey stuff at work recently and i've been feeling a bit flat, i think primarily just adjusting to having the sleeve, and work is a little stressful currently coz we are busy and short staffed, anyways, most days that i had chocolate was only a tim tam or two or similar sized but on saturday night was having a particularly not so great day and ate most of a bag of malteasers, not good, anyways hopped on the scales this morning after having a conversation with myself where i considered not even weighing this morning, and low adn behold i lost 1.1kg, couldn't quite believe it, so ecstatic given my eating habits the last week, my lack of exercise and also ecstatic coz i'm now under 110kg and i'm also over a third of the way to goal, so just imagine what i could do if i was eating a bit better and exercising.  so, my plan over the next few days is to make a better plan for exercising and write it down and stick it on the wall, and also i need to do better at planning my dinners, i eat well for pretty much the whole day then i can't be buggered making dinner, this has always been a problem for me, so i'm gonna cook up some meals that can be frozen so i can have healthy dinners that i just need to chuck in the microwave when i'm at the end of the day and can't be bothered...a few weeks ago i had cheese omlettes for dinner the majority of the week coz it was easy to make....hmmmm.....

anyways, hope that everyone is going well :)  i'll have a look at my roster in the next day or so and see if i'm free on the proposed dates for a get together, i'd look now but i'm on the couch and my roster is on the fridge and i'm feeling too lazy to get up :P

Hi All,

I am looking at getting my sleeve done in August and will need to take the gap from my insurance from my superannuation.

My regular GP in Canberra was very unhelpful (judgmental, even) and did not believe that my obesity was life threatening and would not write a letter or complete the form. For the record, it is not as if I am super obese but I have a BMI of 38 which is obviously still very fat and qualifies me for the sleeve surgery.

Can any of you recommend a GP (if you are not comfortable doing this in this thread then feel free to private message me) who was comfortable writing the letter for the superannuation to be released? Keeping in mind that it won't be my regular GP and I already have my surgeon planned (the O Clinic, in Sydney) so all i really need for them is to sign the letter.

It seems like some doctors think that unless you can barely walk or get up stairs it is not a life threatening illness :/

Thanks in advance (hopefully :) )

Dan

You could try Dr Tang at Florey medical, I didn't need the letter your talking about, but he wasn't judgmental at all when i went in and for my referral in the first place.

Hi Dan

My GP is Dr Chris Harrison at the Ochre Medical Centre Ginninderra (the new clinic at UC). He is now very well versed on WLS, letters to write for referrals and for early release of super :)

Ironically I was scheduled to see Dr Taylor at the O Clinic before I learned of the Canberra Bariatric clinic :)

Please bear in mind that if you do get sleeved in Sydney, Dr Taylor will most likely require you to stay in Sydney for another week or 2 after hospital release in case you have a problem as you will need to factor that cost in.

Hi there, is anyone interested in a Canberra meet up this Saturday?  It might be useful having a chat with people who've already been sleeved and those going through the pre-sleeve process as well. 

• Like 1

I'm free this Saturday, afternoon or lunchtime.

Happy to meet in Civic, Woden or Tuggeranong areas

I'm free this Saturday, afternoon or lunchtime.

Happy to meet in Civic, Woden or Tuggeranong areas

Cafe Gaudi, 2pm on Saturday.  It's next to Priceline Pharmacy and the little florist called Flowerjoy, and the watch place called Watchworks.  See you there.  If you're on the "Facebook Gastric Sleevers Australia" site you should be able to see an Event posted for it.

• Like 1