scoots

Sleeve done in canberra

hope t all goes well fr you scoots...especially for your back recovery! back injuries are such a BITCH!

• Like 1

how did your gastroscope go scoots? 

I saw Dr M the other day and we now have an operation date in April, Now the gastro did want to have me have a colonoscopy so dr mosse wants the results from that and there is a possibility all my chest pain is caused by gallstones , I am having an ultrasound next week and if this is the case the gallbladder will come out at the same time. I am going back one more time in late march , and then we are doing it . I signed the consent forms , super is approved. Hey at least i get easter . The dietician was a lovely guy :) 

• Like 4

Yeah, i really liked the dietician, didn't feel like i was being judged when talking about my diet. Gastroscopy is in 2 more weeks.....thanks kazbo, and yes they are a bitch!

• Like 1

I was pleasantly surprised at the nurturing support both Jason and Marie provide. I thought they were going to crucify me but no...sometimes Jason has given me a kick up the backside and told me to 'get real' (but in a positive way :) )

• Like 2

10 weeks to go today :huh:

I see Jason on 8th April to start optifast so I "get" Easter as well.  OMG - definately don't want to back out but gee I'm nervous about the surgery and life afterwards. I'm 45, have a husband and 2 young boys that I need to keep up with.  I'm 140kg and NEED to do this - sounds like I'm trying to convince myself - lol.  Hope everyone is well. :D

• Like 2

WOO HOO! in 6 months you'll be a new woman!

• Like 1

ouch to the back injury Scoots that sounds diifficult , Yes get into that Rehab and hopefully you walk out a new woman :) May isnt that far away

Maybel we will be here cheering you on , on the 8th :) 

Yeah Kaz i guess it is normal , it just feels scary . I have been having some major issues and am now booked in for a colonoscopy for that has to be done before the surgery :) If all else fails surgery will just have to happen in June , but again its just a couple of months later:) Umm Jason explained that when your pregnant , you up your calories through fluid and cut back some of your water :) He was extremly lovely and im glad to be working with him:) 

Kaz the thing about your ideal weight makes sense :) My body will tell me when to say when :) I have only told my partner and my child nobody else knows , except you guys :) I am a bit scared of how i will explain myself , but because of my issue i am really able to eat small amounts at the moment lol . I know alot of people would say that 100 kilos isnt much but for me it is , and its that thing of knowing that if you dont do something you will just keep popping on weight . It is already affecting my health in so many negative ways , I cannot afford to cop out , As hasnt it felt like a cop out all the years I have managed to hide behind my body ? So I have a much clearer head and hell yes i wanna try anpther diet or run the other way . but i have been dieting since i was 19 , i am over losing out on what could be the very best of who i could be :) 

• Like 2

It does make sense to have more liquid calories during pregnancy...that's interesting!

I always got stuck at 97 kgs and threw my hands up in the air and decided that's what my body wanted to do...no it's not a MASSIVE weight but it is still in the obesity range. nyways, after I gave up trying to get under that, my weight crept up to 100 kgs, then 105, then 110 and so on until I hit my own personal 'high' of 124 kgs...that's the weight I was before optifast. Anyway, no matter what it does creep up over time and so I reckon it's best to do something before it causes too many problems.

I am SO LOOKING FORWARD to my next fill appt, let's hope I can get back to my green zone. At least with a sleeve you don't have to muck around with fills :)

Yeah it still is . It's like I have a friend who is really slim and once she put on ten kilos , she said she was so uncomfortable , because it's just not where her body was comfortable . Is it hard to find that green zone ? Yeah I don't , but I'm scared ! About such a massive surgery but you know it has to be done :) just look at you , you have been doing such a fabulous job on your weightloss .

it took me 2 years to finally find my green zone, then I only enjoyed it for about 2 months or so beefore I had fill out for a holiday...I came back from that holiday early September and I have yet to find my green zone again.

Not everyone has so much trouble finding their green zone - I'm just special like that...it is SO FRUSTRATING because I want to get on with the business of not being hungry and losing weight. At the moment I can eat a horse and chase the rider!!

• Like 1

well FINALLY having my gastroscopy day after tomorrow (Tuesday!) and then on Friday i'll know whether or not Siva will do the sleeve on me......got lots of fingers crossed at the moment, i actually braved the scales this morning for the first time since my appointment in early December at Canberra Bariatric and i'm back to my highest ever recorded weight (though i think i have gone up and come back down a kg or two, so probably weighed more just didn't have any number evidence of it!), which makes me about 4kg heavier than when i went to that appointment, the back problems have done nothing to help my weight!

Ah, thankfully i don't require one of those, had my barium swallow last monday and that was ok, just showed the previous surgery i've had.....

well FINALLY having my gastroscopy day after tomorrow (Tuesday!) and then on Friday i'll know whether or not Siva will do the sleeve on me......got lots of fingers crossed at the moment, i actually braved the scales this morning for the first time since my appointment in early December at Canberra Bariatric and i'm back to my highest ever recorded weight (though i think i have gone up and come back down a kg or two, so probably weighed more just didn't have any number evidence of it!), which makes me about 4kg heavier than when i went to that appointment, the back problems have done nothing to help my weight!

what time is your appt on Friday? I have a fill appt at 9:15

10 on friday....i think.....hmmmm, think i better double check that before friday, i'm having so many medical appointments at the moment with my back and pre-op stuff for the sleeve i'm starting to get a little confused....but i'm fairly sure its 10 or some minutes after 10 :)

Ok, so gastroscopy all done, throat is sore and feeling a little tired but otherwise all good. Had a brief chat with Siva whilst there, my previous surgery doesn't seem like it will preclude me from WLS (yay!), however Siva still seems reluctant about me getting the sleeve, he is concerned that it will cause my reflux to become very bad and that the only way to fix it will be to then have a gastric bypass. He feels that the band would help my reflux. I've got my appt friday to have a proper chat about all this stuff but between now and then i guess i need to give some thought to the pros and cons of each for my overall health and not just focus on my weight loss...decisions decisions.....fell fee to add any thoughts or experiences or whatever for me to consider :)

10 on friday....i think.....hmmmm, think i better double check that before friday, i'm having so many medical appointments at the moment with my back and pre-op stuff for the sleeve i'm starting to get a little confused....but i'm fairly sure its 10 or some minutes after 10 :)

BUGGER! I'll probably be gone by then, but if you happen to notice a loud mouth with a birthmark on their forehead (generally hanging shit on Siva about what a raging party animal he is) - it's MEEEEEEE! and say hi :)

• Like 1

Hi guys, gee it all sounds like it's happening in February! I haven't logged on for a few weeks - hope everyones procedures went well.  Thanks for the support, I am also struggling with who to tell about my surgery.  I have told my 4 work mates as I will have time off and they have all been very positive.  I have told a few friends but the thing I am struggling with is telling family.  My parents were visiting last week from Sydney and I couldn't bring myself to tell them.  I don't need the judgement - on the inside I still feel like a failure for having gotten myself to this position. I haven't told my kids yet cause I don't want them to worry about the surgery - I will tell them closer to the date.  Kazbo - I'm looking forward to being a new woman (I don't like this one very much!!) Enjoy Autumn - hopefully this will be the last summer I will be overweight - that's exciting.

• Like 2

Hi girls :) Scoots that's interesting about the band , hmm it must be a hard. Choice . I must admit that I have been wondering whether my gerd will make it worst when I have the sleeve ! I mean I take nexium and the gastro said it really looked well controlled when he did the gastroscopy . I am seeing Dr Mosse one last time a few weeks before my surgery so I Wil ask again . He seemed t think the sleeve was the right choice. CPU

D you not get reflux with the band too ?

Maybe yes that's a hard one . My partner knows ,my daughters knows and that's it . I don't want the crazy judgement . When I told people I was considering it at one point , the judgement from some was disgusting . One even made a post about easy ways out with weightloss . Part of me is still struggling not to diet . But I have keep saying its ok it's ok it's ok lol

I had my colonoscopy yesterday what an experience the I ky stuff you drink was lol ! On the plus side there was nothing found . He this maybe due to the fact I had so many issues there was an infection TMI ! Anyways it has been all set to zero again and I feel fresher and lighter !! So that's now something I have to maintain . April the 17th is still gonna be my day , I have organized the time off with work and now am just waiting to go ahead:)

Kaz I don't think I have come across you before :) but it's possible you were there in the waiting room and I didn't know :)

• Like 1

So had my appointment today with Siva and i still can't quite believe it but i'm booked in to have the sleeve done in 29 April! I had completely convinced myself that i would have to have to band, but Siva said he would do the sleeve as long as i accepted that there was a possibility that in the future if my reflux got very bad and unable to be controlled by meds that i may need a bypass done. There is a 40% chance that it will have to be done in 2 stages (i'm hoping that won't be the case), he'll go in and undo my previous reflux surgery but if there are too many adhesions/scar tissue he'll just do that and then i'll have to wait for that to heal and go back a few months later to have the sleeve done. I'm excited but still experiencing some disbelief that i can actually get the sleeve done! Yay!

• Like 2

Cdazzle, glad they didn't find anything bad on the colonoscopy. Yeah Siva agreed with me that the sleeve will give me better weight loss, and there is a good chance that some of my reflux is related to my weight also, so by losing weight i should improve any reflux symptoms, he did say it was only a small chance that my reflux would get to a point that i required having a bypass done. So, you'e going to be nearly 2 weeks ahead of me with the sleeve, if i could have got time off work earlier i'd be having it done earlier but nevermind, this gives me nearly 2 months to sort out my release of super, plus gives me more time to work on physio rehab for my back!

• Like 1

I was out by 9.30 this morning. So glad I had a fill, my appetite is so small now, I'm just praying that I'm not in the red zone! otherwise, I'm back in a month for a check up. Fingers crossed it's all good.

• Like 2

Fingers crossed for you! My appointment didn't end up being till 1030, though i was there for ages after filling in all the hospital paperwork!

yeah, it's like writing war & peace that :)

• Like 2

It's hard to not to feel excited even though I have just started this process. Already counting down my 12 month wait!

It's so great being able to come on to this site and read what others have or are going through. I was adamant I was going to go with the band but being the weight I am and reading the pros and cons of the band, my thinking is toward the sleeve. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how many sleeves are performed in the ACT? as it seems the majority done is bands.

• Like 1