scoots

Sleeve done in canberra

Early release of super approved today, best phonecall i've ever gotten! :P

So i'm definitely having surgery on the 29th of april now, fingers crossed Siva can undo my previous surgery and do the sleeve all in one go, don't wanna have to wait an extra 3 months to get it done, plus don't wanna have to do an extra 2 weeks of opti, did 9 months of it in 2011/12, that was enough! :P

• Like 1

Hi girls Scoots and Maybe you will be now going ahead of me . The Doc wasnt happy to consent to my surgery at the moment . I need to have a hida scan and a barrium swallow , he is worried that my gallbladder isnt functioning or that there is something else going on. Its ok i dont mind that there is a delay , but not sure what is happening yet , or even if i am allowed to go forward. i have the hida scan this week and the barrium, swallow next week. he will not be back until 15th april but that is when i am going back to see him , he did originally say that if everything was clear i could still go ahead on the 17th but as you probably all know , you cant just cancel and uncancel leave. so i left it at an open date of 8th may ( if i am allowed to go forwards) How was everyones Easter? 

• Like 1

Hi cdazzle, I hope it all works out for you, it's sounding very complicated :(

Hi Scoots, thanks for the encouraging words and congratulations on the early release of super - that would have been a great phone call.

Easter was great - my brother and his family came down from Sydney, kids all played well.  Chocolate and hot cross buns were eaten :D

My sons birthday this week, we are going to Hogs Breath.  Appointment with Jason next Monday to start optifast and surgery day 3 weeks and 1 day away. :wacko:

Not long now - nervous and excited etc etc.

• Like 1

Cdazzle, thats a bugger, hopefully all your tests are ok, both so that you can go ahead with sleeve and so that there is nothing else wrong! Good though that he is being thorough though, its what you want in a surgeon!

Maybel, sounds like a good easter weekend, and i'm sure you'll enjoy the trip to hogs breath, i went with a friend last week, yum yum. Its all getting close now isn't it, my surgery is three weeks and six days away today!

Not happy, Sue phoned me to change my surgery date :( Charlie is going to be away the day after my surgery, so he won't do it.  New date 8 May - 2 weeks later.  Have to try and change leave from work.

Bugger, i'm with Siva so hopefully won't have that problem, better not coz i won'tbe able to change my leave! Good luck with getting everything sorted!

Well, have been able to change my leave - thank goodness.

Saw Jason yesterday and bought all my optifast etc.  This is really happening - OMG. 

Family were all sick last week - we all had colds so didn't get to Hogs Breath (lucky my surgery has changed - I have 2 more weeks to eat favourite foods - lol)

• Like 3

Hi Everyone , Maybel if everything goes ahead my date is 8th May too :) Maybe we can message or visit eachother for moral support:)

Hida scan showed Bile reflux which is different to the gerd every doctor kept saying i apparently had , no sign of gerd and barrium swallow came back fine . Gallbladder maybe a bit dicky , will have to wait and see if Mosse man thinks it needs to come out or not . I must say that I was a bit annoyed that all these tests were not organised on my second visit so i could have added them into my super claim , tests cost big money. i must also admit that with all the swapping and changing i am left very confused and have asked my partner to come and sit in the consult maybe he can figure out what on earth is going on LOL . I have been feeling mostly disgusting and after the hida scan i had what i can only describe as dumping , the technician did say that this coluld happen if my gallbladder was on the fritz. very painful experience. It does seem like not only am I dealing with bile reflux i also have major stoamch pain and issues yay for me . sorry if i sound negative.

I see  Mosse man on Monday so fingers crossed we figure out what on earth is going on !! Scoots getting close now :) No last suppers for me i do not think that my poor stomach can take it , tonight we had pizza and i just ,managed one peice i know that if i eat more it will cause pain and sickness. I hope so much that having the sleeve does not make this feeling worse , as it would leave me completly miserable, but on the other hand I think I am miserable now LOL 

• Like 1

duodenogastric reflux is a condition that occurs when biliary fluid flows upward (refluxes) from the duodenum into the stomach and esophagus 

just in case you dont know what it is , because i sincerly didnt know

• Like 1

• General:
  • Unlike acid reflux, changes in diet or lifestyle are usually ineffective in the prevention or treatment of bile reflux. Instead, bile reflux is most often managed with medications or, in severe cases, with surgery. Many of the therapies used to manage bile reflux will also reduce acid reflux. This is important, because these two conditions often occur at the same time and together result in serious complications if not treated.
  • Lifestyle changes:
  • General: Unlike acid reflux, bile reflux appears to be unrelated to lifestyle choices, including diet, smoking, weight loss, and excess alcohol consumption. However, since acid reflux and bile reflux often occur at the same time, adopting a healthy lifestyle may help.

so the question what helps it not eating ? cos i am about at that point , but then i become starving and eat and whether it is quickly or slowly , its a painful horrid experience !!! 

• Like 1

Cdazzle, thought thats what it was but thanks for the info....i actually used to have that, as well as "standard" reflux. I now have had my gall bladder removed, not because of that, i had a bunch of stones causing me severe pain, but much better without the gall bladder. Hopefully charlie can give you a clear answer for everything on monday, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you....think its a good idea to take someone with you.

Maybe try eating a low fat diet, that might help....in part because the gall bladder is stimulated to release bile to digest fat, also i used to find having my stomach either full or empty made it worse, having something in my stomach for it to work on helped...but as i did have both types of reflux not sure which it was helping. I also was on somac and zantac for reflux.

Yep, not long for me now, 2 weeks on monday. Start optifast monday. My super should arrive in my bank account next week too...just in time!

• Like 1

Monday wow thats close Scoots :) Yeah I am rocking the low fat diet :) I pretty much cant eat anything anyway but oh well :) I am feeling happier today sorry about the negatives the other day . Ouch stones thats ouchy!! you have both ? oh thats not good , I find it really messes with my asthma , but you gotta soldior on . Yep hopefully Mosse man can shed some light on the subject on Monday :) I just wanna get things happening :) best of luck starting optifast , have you tried any flavours yet?

• Like 2

Don't worry bout the negativity, we all feel that way sometimes :)

I've used optifast in the past to lose weight so already know what ones i like.....i like the vanilla shakes, choclate bars and berry bars. The strawberry shakes are ok but a bit sweet.

Yeah, i found good improvement after gall bladder was removed, which was good.

• Like 1

Damn - hads started to write a post and lost it all - oh well, start again.

Cdazzle - it sounds like you have been/are going through a terrible time - I really hope the surgery makes a big improvement. I had my gall bladder removed in 1997 because of gall stones.

Don't worry about the negativity, as Scoots said, we all have our down moments, in fact, it was only a few weeks ago that Scoots was saying the same thing to me. Thank goodness this school term is over, the last few weeks have been really stressful and I have been really depressed.

Is your surgery being done at John James? We could be room neighbours - lol

Sccots, I finally got to Hogs Breath on the weedend - worst steak I have ever had - typical. Cooked a pavlova yesterday, My brother is coming down from Sydney today, so having roast lamb dinner with pav for dessert. Start optifast wednesday of next week.

Not long to go now Scoots. How are you feeling?

Chat soon :)

Maybel, well that sucks that your steak was no good.

Yep, this time in 2 weeks i will be back in the ward recovering! Started optifast this morning but didn't even make it to my second shake, i'm feeling like poo coz of a sinus infection, gonna start again tomorrow and stick eith it though, my antibiotics should start kicking in tomorrow so that will help. Hopped on the scales this morn and it read 131.5kg :-0 highest its ever been, i guess at least it will start going down now.

I'm starting to feel a bit nervous at times now, having weird dreams some nights. I think its just the thought of such a big change, i know it'll be all good :).

Oh yum, lamb roast sounds awesome, i love lamb!

Hope your antibiotics are doing their job. This journey is going to be hard (but worth it) without feeling like crap from a sinus infection as well.

The lamb roast was yum, followed up with pavlova - very nice. My scales are sitting around 144kg - also the highest it's ever been!

Funny you should mention the weird dreams - I have had some shockers over the last few weeks - all doom and gloom - I have also been putting them down to stress and big changes about to happen.

Hope the shakes sit better today :)

hi everyone 

So i saw the doc yesterday and he says i cannot have surgery at all !! He referred me to a specilaist for reflux who i will see in May . At the moment the pain is getting worse and is messing with my asthma , I can eat but it no matter what it is repeats on me afterwards and the attacks are awful , it is messing with my asthma also. I have lost some more weight and he said that by the time everything is fixed i would be vbelow the bmi cutoff anyway . so for now i am thinking stuff the whole process . i am gonna work hard and try and do it myself and if for some reason i cannot , i will look at surgery if the bile reflux is fixed ( later) 

I am annoyed not because i cant have surgery , because this problem has been since Dec and i have now seen the surgeon 4 times and i wish he had of listened more in our second consult so i could have some traetment plan for this horrible thing . I wish all of you luck who are having surgery . I will pop in and see how you all are :) xxxxxxxxxx

Cdazzle, how bloody annoying, i hate it when doctors don't listen! Well i hope at least that you can now get your reflux problems fixed, and fairly quickly. And good luck with losing weight, i'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Maybel, thanks, so far this morning i am feeling a little better but last night i felt really horrible...about to have my first shake for the day and i'm determined to stick with it today, at least currently i am sleeping for three quarters of the day so that should help with not being awake to worry about eating other food, lol, now hows that for finding an upside to being sick :P

Had my pre admission clinic appointment at the hospital today. The nurse was great and very reassuring and knew what she was talking about in regards to post op for the sleeve. Found out that the day before surgery i need have only liquids, no solids at all. So gonna be just shakes and soup that day, instead of one bar a day plus 2 shakes, and stirfry vegies. At least by then shouldn't be feeling hungry anymore. Day 2 of opti not going bad, managed to stick with it 100% since yesterday morning. Feeling kinda weak but not sure if its due to getting over sinus infection or opti...or both, thankfully i've still got another day off work before my next shift.

• Like 1

OMG Cdazzle - that is annoying, I hope the reflux problem is sorted soon, that sounds awful. On the up side, well done you for the weight loss you have managed so far - you are doing a great job. Even after the surgery, I would be thrilled to weigh 95 kg (it has been 25 years since I weighed 95kg!!!)

Scoots, sleeping for most of the day is a great way to get around eating - lol. Pity it is still because aren't well :(

Take care :)

What a shame Cdazzle - hope it all gets sorted out, reflux is awful. 

Looks like i'm going to do some liquids and soft mushies for the next two weeks before my surgery on the 2nd, hoping to give my band a rest and reduce any swelling before the day. My band is causing me a bit of grief today - yesterday I was stressing about the surgery (over thinking things as usual) and I think I ate too much when I got home, picking at chips plus dinner on top. I went to bed and I was uncomfortable all night - today I can only tolerate liquids. Bugger! I just need to be really careful I think. 

I'm really stressing about losing my band and i'm hoping I can hang on to it for a bit longer...I just don't think i'm ready to let it go yet (will I ever?) but Charlie will make that decision on the day. Hopefully he can work his magic for me. Fingers crossed. 

Hope all goes well for you girls Scoots & Maybel - such and exciting time for you both!

• Like 2

Chantilly, hope your last few weeks before surgery aren't too annoying, and i'll keep my fingers crossed that charlie can work his magic for you!

Day three of opti for me now. Feeling ok just really weak but that could also be due to getting over my sinus infection, so just going with it, had a physio rehab session for my back today, which is basically like a half hour personal training session, nearly killed me, i'm ready to go sleep now and not wake up till tomorrow! Went to woden after my physio and i never noticed how many yummy smelling and looking food places there are there! Lol :P

• Like 2

Always the way, isn't it - lol

Take it easy on your back - the physio sounds like torture!!

When I first went on opti @ 150kg the drop in calories really knocked me around and all I wanted to do was sleep. So might be a combo of being sick, antibiotics and the low calories. Are you off work until after the surgery??

Nope, back at work today and until tuesday, then wed and thurs off then back for the three days before my op. i'll just have to do the best i can, thankfully weekends aren't too busy. Hopefully after today, being day 4 on opti, i'll start to feel a lot better!

Only 10 more sleeps now, can't beleive it!

• Like 1