Sign in to follow this  
Jaxy

Booked for The Avenue - What are your experiences with this hospital.

Went for an initial appointment with Stewart Skinner two days ago. Pretty much gave me the go ahead, no opti, and could book me before xmas! Decided on January 3rd for my big day, which is at The Avenue. I was wondering if many of you were banded there and what your experience of the procedure and hospital were?

Also - as its an overnight stay - did you mostly sleep after the op? What happens the rest of the day?

When did you leave the next morning and how was the journey home - much pain?

How was sleeping? We just bought a nice new memory foam bed, however its quite soft and is you need to your abs to get out of it!!

Just getting prepared - a little nervous. Eeek!

Ta guys.

they are great....i was banded there and have had 8 knee operations there....i am also going there tmz for another knee op....the nurses are amazing :)

rach

Hi Jaxy,

I was 'done at The Avenue in Feburuary 2011 - and am also a patient of Stewart's.

My surgery and recovery was incident free. Little pain, no gas - all good. Hospital fine.

The one thing that really distressed me however was that I arrived at 6.00am and told I was 'near the top of the operating list'. Within 30 minutes of arrival I had been admitted, showered, gowned and had had a conversation with the anaesthetist. I was dreadfully nervous, but relieved I wasn't going to have long to wait.

They finally came and got me at 3.00! I'd waited for almost 9 hours......

I had the most horrible day imagineable. If I had my time allover again, I'd ask the anaesthetist for some Valium to calm me during what was a very long wait.

Kate

• Like 1

I was also banded at The Avenue, just 10 days ago.

I elected to go home on the same day as the surgery (much prefer to be at home than in a hospital), my surgery was at 8am, I was in recovery at 9:15 then back to my room by 10am. I was feeling ready to go home by around 1pm, but still needed my barium swallow and pharmacy script to be filled before they'd let me leave. I ended up leaving around 3:30pm.

After the operation I slept on and off for maybe an hour, then for the rest of the day was bored! I brought a book with me, but after surgery I didn't feel like I could concentrate well enough to read! And there was only rubbish on TV!

I caught a cab home from the hospital and didn't feel any additional pain or discomfort on the ride home, the hospital to my house is only a 20 minute drive though. I know some people do experience this and suggest bringing a pillow for the ride home to cushion around the seat belt.

Getting out of bed was painful for the first couple of days, I ended up using some weird rolling technique to avoid using my stomach muscles to pull me up.

I was really lucky, I've had very minimal pain, no gas pain and felt pretty good from about 3 days post op, others have a much different experience. You just don't know which end of the spectrum or in between you're going to be until you have it done unfortunately. All you can do is plan for the worst and hope for the best!

Good luck :)

I was done at the avenue in October this year, with Prof Nottle.

I got a room to myself, and after the op (I was second in and was back in my room by about 11.00am), I spent a bit of time sleeping, but when I wasn't I was watching TV (mostly crap), and was either reading or playing games on my iPad.

Bring something to read, and something else to do. You will spend a lot of time sleeping, but you will need something else.

And I agree - the ride home was quite painful, so I suggest a pillow or something to ease the pressure on your stomach.

Also Op at the Avenue in Oct with the great Prof OBrien himself.

I actually didn't find the nursing staff that empathetic except for a nice Irish nurse who had to do my BP every hour all night due to low BP.

I almost felt they were a little Judgemental.

Had terrible nausea directly after Op and for three days after. Went home next day around 12.00 after waiting an eternity for pharmacy to bring discharge meds which I never took as Endone made nausea really bad.

I was surprised I was left alone for 2-3 hours straight after Op ( back in room). It's a nice place but I've been treated nicer in a public hospital before.

Journey home was only 30 mins but I felt so sick it was awful, walked in house and threw up'

Pain was not an issue for me, Nurofen liquid caps helped and Degas is a must for shoulder pain and gas pain.

Once I was home I managed well and was proactive in my recovery and all has been fine.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Another question is did you have anyone stay with you at all - even just until op was done?

I just want to know if my other half should hang around - he will be worried and will want to.

So what's the protocol?

Cheers x

Jax

Hubby just dropped me off at 7am and went to work. He rang at some point and then came back at around 3pm. To be honest I preferred he wasn't there, I liked my quiet time. After the Op you are very sleepy due to the drugs etc.

You have a phone in the room so I texted him the number but I wasn't really all that talkative as I felt pretty awful with nausea.

My sister stayed around until I was out of surgery - I was 2nd on the list, so was in and out within a couple of hours. Once she saw that I was OK and back in my room she left. I slept most of the time, so wasn't worried that she didn't stay. Came back to get me the next morning.

I was there. Everything was great. However I was told to arrive at 7:30 and had to wait a few hours to get a room. So had blood pressure and all that done in waiting room with other patients watching. The 8 grand I had just laid out made that a little bitter in my mouth. Otherwise I was well looked after from there onwards

I am banded. All went well, although I wasn't up and about after an hour as it says in the book. I was stuffed - still am.

All details in introductions forum under January bandits.

Let the weightloss begin :)

• Like 2

I am going to the avenue on the 18th. I hope that it is good! I don't have to be there until 11.30 so I assume I will not be done until the afternoon. which will mean I will stay. looking forward to an overnight rest! lol! I hope I get the judgemental nurses - I am a nurse myself and will take great pleasure in having fun with them! hoping for good results! :)

I was banded there two weeks ago.  I found the theatre staff fantastic and very caring, as was that anaesthetist.  I was operated on by Prof O'Brien.

However, I found the ward nurses not that attentive and for the $$ I paid being self funded, I would have expected a little bit more care.  I was cold after my op so needed another blanket which I waited ages for.  I can't remember how many times they checked in on me, but I know it wasn't many.

I suppose I agree with Julesy.

However, I need to look at the outcome and the big picture.  I was returned home safe, infection free and the theatre staff were fantastic, which is the most important part for me.

You'll be fine.

I was banded there two weeks ago.  I found the theatre staff fantastic and very caring, as was that anaesthetist.  I was operated on by Prof O'Brien.

However, I found the ward nurses not that attentive and for the $$ I paid being self funded, I would have expected a little bit more care.  I was cold after my op so needed another blanket which I waited ages for.  I can't remember how many times they checked in on me, but I know it wasn't many.

I suppose I agree with Julesy.

However, I need to look at the outcome and the big picture.  I was returned home safe, infection free and the theatre staff were fantastic, which is the most important part for me.

You'll be fine.

I was also self funded and banded at the Ave. But couldn't have had a different experience with the ward nurses. My surgeon was Dr Crossthwaite. The ward nurses were amazing, checking if I needed anything and all my stats etc at least every 30-40 minutes. The night nurse was the best of them all she was just fantastic. Although I didn't have bad pain she still went above and beyond to make sure I was comfortable. 

Didn't wait for a bed either, just straight in and done! Great experience. 

I was done at the ave in may with Stewart Skinner. Everyone was great to me. I was in major pain all day. It eased off a bit during the night but I had a miserable day! You just never know....

I was totally self-funded, operated by Prof O'Brien 3 months ago. The theatre staff were fantastic, the ward nurses were wonderful, the whole experience could not have been easier for me, and given how badly I was freaking out beforehand that's a big call!