jen16

Curious!! Question for people who have been banded longer than 2 years...?

Hi Bandits,

I was talking to my neighbour this morning about being banded, and she had some interest in looking into it especially after I was banded. She has tried everything from shakes to weight watchers and things in between with no long term benefit. This lady is like a second mum to me, and there's nothing more I would like, than to see her succeed with much needed weight loss.

After praising this forum so much, I thought I might actually ask the question she really wanted to know...

'Have many of you sustained your weight loss long term (over 2 or 3 years if not longer?) and how is you health and lifestyle now?'

My beautiful neighbour is a mum to 3 grown up kids, with the youngest still living at home, but she works a full time job, and often finds herself forgetting to eat as she gets very busy at work (even though good intentions are brought to work everyday ie yogurt/fruit etc). She has a short lunch break which she likes to fit in a daily walk. What she eats for dinner is often swayed by what her son wants. She is a fabulous cook.

She knows if she gets upset or overly emotional, she'll head for food which she's trying to stop. Post Christmas she is going to try light n' easy for a fully committed few months. If she see's positive results she may stick with this but I thought its better to ask then to not know.

Hopefully there's enough of you who can answer this question above, so a preemptive thank you for your input.

Jen xx

Ive been banded for over 4 years and have lost almost 50kgs. I too had tried weight watchers, shakes, etc but found these were not sustainable. The problem with Light and Easy (and other pre packaged weight loss programs) is that it is very expensive but doesn't teach you how to change your lifestyle? My friend lost over 15kgs but once she stopped she put all of the weight back on plus more.

Hope all goes well :) Sam

• Like 2

I've been banded over 2 years and I stillhave a way to go to my goal weight.

• Like 2

I'm following in Kazbo's footsteps..........

• Like 2

I've still got about 38kgs to get to surgeons's goal and 48 to get to mine and have been banded 28 months. I minus 12 months from that though due to being pregnant for 9 and 3 months of recovery but still only lost 14kgs in the first 10 months of being banded.

• Like 1

Thanks for answering Sam, Kazbo, ozchick & veggo mumma. I hope to hear more responses from a variety of bandits :)

• Like 2

How has your health improved?

How has your health improved?

Everything on the inside is NORMAL (glucose tolerance, cholesterol, liver & kidney function, etc, etc) I still have insulin resistance but it is going down every time I get a blood test. So while i am still very overweight, the benefits on the inside speak for themselves :) I have also almost cut out my antidepressants too.

• Like 2

Jen I haven't been banded for years so I can't answer your first question. I've been banded almost 5 months and I was a chronic back and hip pain sufferer. I've lost 18kg and it's made a massive improvement to my pain. I still have tbe odd day which isn't great but the pain is nowhere near as bad or often. That alone has improved my life greatly

• Like 2

Thanks juststarting and thanks Kazbo for answering the inner health question too.

I agree, all of our load bearing joints, particularally hips, knees and ankle will have a much better life, as we will too!

Xx Jen

I was banded in 2004 - I've had a few plateau's and gains over the years but can say that i'm now at my lightest weight in my adult years. My health and attitude has changed dramatically. My back doesn't playup, I can walk 100m with huffing and puffing, I don't snore, my asthma has improved , my allergies aren't as bad and most of all i'm just happier! There's a few negative things that i've developed as a result of the band though but the good outweighs the bad tenfold.

I used to have very dodgy knees- always sore after walking and squatting down had trouble getting up. I have checked my walk app today and I'm only 6 km away from 700km for the year. (My original goal was 500km) I will probably knock that over tomorrow :) This is only metered walks-not incidental walking or odd times when I've forgotten to switch on the phone. Could I / would I have done this before banding? Not on your life!!

• Like 3

I have been banded for 15 months, so no, I don't fall into the 5+ years category, but I know 2 women that were banded quite a few years ago and have maintained their loss.

However, I must stress that it hasn't been without issues!

One of them had to have her first band removed and after 3 months another one put in.

I'm beginning to wonder if the band is in fact a long term solution? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, and at what risk? I know that the effects of obesity are not healthy, but somewhere along this journey I think we all suffer some ill effect -could be 4 or 5 years down the track. I don't know of anyone who hasn't needed a removal or a replacement a few years down the track.

• Like 1

Banded for over 3 years, started at 130 now 78. Haven't had ANY complications aprat from the occasional overfill and rush back to my doc to get some fill taken out so I can drink some water lol. However apart from that no problems! It's changed my life and I have no regrets at all. That said this isn't for everybody. The band is merely a tool for your weightloss. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent in the gym/bike/running. Also It is to my knowledge that the bands (atleast mine does) have a lifetime warranty. The company who make the band wouldn't make this promise unless it could stand the test of time. If the band is installed correctly and you look after it and yourself there is no reason it shouldn't last your lifetime. Besides you can always just have all your fill taken out when your older so you can eat more, as required by old age (not a dip at any of the oldies either!). And my best advice, if it doesnt feel right, get it checked by your surgeon! Have a swallow test if you need to, or an ultrasound, Your surgeon will advise you. Hang in there its worth it guys

• Like 4

Oh wow, thanks for sharing Chantilly, Ozchick, Mookie & Ompster. I think it's great knowledge for us new bandits too, not just those thinking about it. Thanks so much everyone.

*note if I can I am going to change the topic title from help to curious... As it might draw in a few more bandits.

• Like 1

I'm 20 months in and got to goal in nine months, surprising my doctor & family, not least myself! This time last year I felt invincible, my health was so much better and I was so much fitter. Unfortunately I've had a really bad flare-up of fibromyalgia over the winter (unrelated to my band) so I'm feeling worse for wear at the moment but I can't imagine how much I would be struggling with it if I still had that extra 40 kg. Best of all I have what I feel is a healthy relationship with food... I'm not on a diet (in fact, after about a month I never felt like I was on a diet, I ate a little bit of anything and everything and I think that was one of the secrets for losing the weight) and if my partner wants "cheeky" food now and then, I'm more than happy to jump in because it's everything in moderation, and having fish and chips once every few weeks isn't going to kill me! I had tried weight watchers for years and the only thing it succeeded in was making me broke. It's been well documented that once you've been obese for a number of years your body "sticks" at that weight and will fight you getting below that... I am 100% positive that without the band I could not have shifted the weight. I had an interesting conversation about it with a new psychologist a few weeks ago, she was pretty scathing about places like WW and Jenny Craig because they are like a money train and rarely lead to longlasting results. I went to see her about my fibro not the band, but it turns out she does pre-band psychological assessments and had some really interesting perspective.

Feel free to read some of my blog posts and other posts on the board. I've been very open about my journey, both the ups and the downs. The quick way to summarise it is I've gained more than I've lost - I've gained a fiance (!!!!), lifelong friends (board poster Beth is going to be my bridesmaid) and a heck of a lot more confidence. I was honestly worried about keeping it off because the one other time I'd dropped to a similar weight it only stayed there for a few weeks (!) but this time it's stayed within a few kilos and I'm more than happy with that. I'm just thrilled that I don't have to stress about food any more! Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

• Like 4

Im 2years 9 months banded and have been at goal for around 14 months - my life is nothing like it was - I still can have issues that I use food as a lifter and I can gain a kilo or 2 but it always comes off - this was the best thing I ever did I just regret not doing it when I was 20!

Edited to say I hover between 75-77kg and was banded at just under 138kg

• Like 1

I have been banded for 2.5 years and reached doctors goal in 18 months (206 kgs to 120kgs) and reached my goal in 2 years (206kgs to 100kgs) and have never felt better. I came off blood pressure tablets at 18 months and felt much better in general health. In the last 6 months i have had 2 withdrawals of fluid totalling 1.5ml and weight has fluctuated from 98kgs to 101kgs with light exercise. I am booked in for first of three surgeries starting in March 2013 to remove excess skin from weight loss.

Would recommend the band as long as you can get your head space into the right place, I have seen a few people think it was the quick solution and initial lost weight was put back on when they realised ways around the band working efficiently. It really is a tool to be used with sensible diet and not a quick fix.

As for the long term, its there to stay, if i didnt have it done i was told by my doctor i wouldnt see my 50th birthday so i was glad i finally made the decision to have the band fitted, but for me it was a life decision, it may have some more fluid removed after all the operations are complete and i can exercise at a greater level but for now everything is stable and going well.

Goodluck.

• Like 2

Thanks Somers181. Perfect topic answer :) thank you :-)

I have had my Lap band for 7 years. I weighed 151kgs the day of surgery and today I weigh 64kgs. I have maintained my target weight from the moment I got to it excluding when I got pregnant and had my son. I gained 8kg while pregnant and lost it the day I gave birth to a healthy baby boy in jan 2010. After the birth though I found eating and drinking difficult so I had the lap band loosened and gained 25 kgs in 6months!!!!!! After having it tightened I got back to my goal weight in about 8 months with no serious effort. Hope this helps:)

• Like 3

That's great to hear Spin, and congrats on having a baby! He must be keeping you on your toes, all the time :) . Especially at nearly 3 years old!

Hope you have a happy and safe holidays and happy birthday to your little one for January. :)

Banded at 62years of age ..no complications...90% to goal..but not trying as quite happy where I am, been stable for over a year

at this weight, 65 next Birthday Feb. and could not be happier...This op is not only for the young ..Its never too late to lose te weight

and get healthier ...my only regret is I waitig so long before becoming a bandit...

Marion

• Like 3

Banded at 62years of age ..no complications...90% to goal..but not trying as quite happy where I am, been stable for over a year

at this weight, 65 next Birthday Feb. and could not be happier...This op is not only for the young ..Its never too late to lose te weight

and get healthier ...my only regret is I waitig so long before becoming a bandit...

Marion

how great is your story. I remember feeling seriously depressed when I was waiting on the public list and my 50th birthday came and went, I felt as if life was over for me and more or less I started to give up. Banded now for a month at the age of 53 and a half and life feels much more positive although I know I have a long way to go.

• Like 1

well Ive been at goal for just on 2 years, was banded in oct 09 , started at 170 got down as low as 98 but now seem to have settled about 102kg, 10% regain is considered normal. Life is nothing like before :-)

I lost 50kg in 5 months, the next 20kg took 7 months. For me excercise and no carbs were the key. Ive only ever had 1 fill of 1.5ml , I run a looseish band and rely a bit more on willpower.

I still weigh everyday as its so easy to fall back into old habits and its surprisingly easy to put weight back on even with the band , its just like being an ex junkie or alcho. Im still on a diet every day !!!.

My journey was relatively easy and complication free compared to many but having said that if I had my time over again I'd have a sleeve over a band in a heartbeat

• Like 2

My journey was relatively easy and complication free compared to many but having said that if I had my time over again I'd have a sleeve over a band in a heartbeat

Why so if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 1