FreshStart2

Wedding Chatter

Hello,

I'm beginning to plan our wedding, so I thought it might be nice to have a little space here for fellow bandit brides (and grooms) to chat about their weddings, get ideas and give advice. :)

The process is exciting but already a little scary from a financial aspect. The venue we LOVE look like it has a minimum spend of $10k at the time of year we want (feb) so i dont think that will be an option for us. We'll still go and get a tour and I might see if they will let us use a different (like CHEAPER) caterer instead of the one i got pricing from. I hope they do because the venue will make for some amazing photos. :)

Nobody wants to give me $20k so i can have my dream wedding do they? :P

• Like 1

What does that $10k include???

I'm having a lunch time beach wedding on a friday - it's going to be very casual. I found some dresses on sale the other day that would be perfect colourings for my bridesmaids - they aren't the typical bridesmaid dresses you'd find at a bridal shop, they are just light flowing dresses with a hi-lo hemline and I got them for $15 each! Big saving on the budget. Only my sister has tried it on so far...the other girls weren't even there to have a say but I just couldn't pass them up (i'm a tight arse sometimes) - I hope the other girls (and my fiance) like them otherwise it won't be such a bargain afterall. LOL

The biggest expense i'm having trouble justifying at the moment is the car hire...i'm happy to walk there, it's a 3min walk from the hotel we'll be staying at to the ceremony/reception location. I think we are going to wait to a week or two before to try and negotiate a good deal with the hire company.

Apparently the $10 includes the venue hire, wait staff, wine and other drinks.....but not food. $10k is probably the maximum we wanted to spend on the ENTIRE WEDDING. so its definately out for the reception. But I'm thinking we will have the ceremony & photos there because I do love the scenery, and we will find somewhere cheaper to have the reception. :)

• Like 1

Leanne see if its cheaper during the week. Last year I went to a couple of weddings on a Wednesday. At first I thought it was a but odd but it was heaps if fun! It was also great to have a break during the week, work 2 more days then a weekend! Apparently it's cheaper during the week?

Leanne see if its cheaper during the week. Last year I went to a couple of weddings on a Wednesday. At first I thought it was a but odd but it was heaps if fun! It was also great to have a break during the week, work 2 more days then a weekend! Apparently it's cheaper during the week?

It is actually cheaper during the week, but I wasn't sure if people would get annoyed about having to take the day off work? Also my whole side will have to come from interstate so I thought it would be better to have it on a weekend.

Great thread Leanne, 

My 2 youngest kids have both just got engaged and although at the moment it is engagement parties we are organizing I will hopefully get a few tips for their respective weddings. :)

• Like 1

It is actually cheaper during the week, but I wasn't sure if people would get annoyed about having to take the day off work? Also my whole side will have to come from interstate so I thoughtit would be better to have it on a weekend.

If its a huge saving do consider it. I'm sure ppl would understand ( as we all did) even a Thursday? The eastern states ppl could then fly home sat or Sunday? If u give ppl plenty of notice - send "save the date" cards I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

We just told our family and friends Christmas day that we eloped :wub:

Everything is cheaper during the week. It's all about supply and demand so that's why weekend weddings are so much more expensive for everything.. As most want a weekend wedding

Having eloped on a Thursday we saved $150 off Celebrant, as so many are not booked :D

The only person i couldn't talk down was the photographer but he did actually offer his car to take us to all the locations for our photos :P

everything from accommodation, venue, hair makeup I saved on. I also talked down the price of our rings. My dress cost $130 and everyone was super shocked it only cost that :lol:

Even though it was just us NO one we knew there it was an AMAZING day and i love looking back at my photos a month on and smile as we pulled off the best kept secret.

Anyways good luck, i honestly couldn't handle planning a wedding day and am amazed by anyone who can.

• Like 2

Hello,

I'm beginning to plan our wedding, so I thought it might be nice to have a little space here for fellow bandit brides (and grooms) to chat about their weddings, get ideas and give advice. :)

The process is exciting but already a little scary from a financial aspect. The venue we LOVE look like it has a minimum spend of $10k at the time of year we want (feb) so i dont think that will be an option for us. We'll still go and get a tour and I might see if they will let us use a different (like CHEAPER) caterer instead of the one i got pricing from. I hope they do because the venue will make for some amazing photos. :)

Nobody wants to give me $20k so i can have my dream wedding do they? :P

$10K is cheap!  Well, cheap compared to all the places we looked at.  You don't want to know what our minimum was, even for a Friday night.  Double yours and add a bit more :P  But all the places we were looking at were about the same.  

But yes, we have the venue sorted but am dreading everything else because of all the crazy costs....

It is actually cheaper during the week, but I wasn't sure if people would get annoyed about having to take the day off work? Also my whole side will have to come from interstate so I thought it would be better to have it on a weekend.

We actually figured that with at least a third of our guests coming from NZ we'd just set it for a Friday and give people lots of notice... they're probably going to have to take a day or two off so mayaswell give them a weekend :P  lol

Well we have already got the wedding cars sorted out, they are borrowed, although I wont say free, this year we will have to spend a lot of time and money restoring my fiance's hobby car which he wants in the wedding. I told him he better hurry up and get it built!

I have had a few offers for free makeup and hair styling, which I am definately going to consider closer to the event. The most expensive things will be the venue and the photographer, even the celebrant wasnt as much as i expected. all the other stuff we have just over a year to save for and pay for as we go along.

I really want to go look at dresses but I know it's something I will have to leave until a month or two before the wedding, as I am still planning to lose more weight. dont want to have a lot of money in alterations!

We just told our family and friends Christmas day that we eloped :wub:

Everything is cheaper during the week. It's all about supply and demand so that's why weekend weddings are so much more expensive for everything.. As most want a weekend wedding

Having eloped on a Thursday we saved $150 off Celebrant, as so many are not booked :D

The only person i couldn't talk down was the photographer but he did actually offer his car to take us to all the locations for our photos :P

everything from accommodation, venue, hair makeup I saved on. I also talked down the price of our rings. My dress cost $130 and everyone was super shocked it only cost that :lol:

Even though it was just us NO one we knew there it was an AMAZING day and i love looking back at my photos a month on and smile as we pulled off the best kept secret.

Anyways good luck, i honestly couldn't handle planning a wedding day and am amazed by anyone who can.

Finally goal CONGRATES!

Can't really add anything as I never got married in this country. Mine cost about $10k (when converted at the time thats almost a decade ago) including food etc. But I think RSA may be a little expensive if you have to add in the 2k+ per person for the flights :P  

http://www.edenheim.co.za/

Love wedding planning though, found it heaps of fun and I will admit I did go a little bit bridezilla'ish on the day :ph34r:

Now that I am a bride, I can understand why the term bridezilla came about. I'm not the kind of person so buy expensive clothes or jewellery, for everything I do, I am ALWAYS on a budget. But for my wedding day, there are some things that I have visions of in my head that I just don't want to compromise on.

I realise that you can only have what you can afford, but for once in my life, I want just one day to be about me (and hubby of course) and what WE want. Not just what we should get because its cheaper, or what other people think we should have/do. I'm only planning on doing this once and  I also want it to be a day that people remember.

I so sound like a cheesy movie Bride HAHA.... but its true. Funny words for somebody who never thought she would get married.

• Like 3

Now that I am a bride, I can understand why the term bridezilla came about. I'm not the kind of person so buy expensive clothes or jewellery, for everything I do, I am ALWAYS on a budget. But for my wedding day, there are some things that I have visions of in my head that I just don't want to compromise on.

I realise that you can only have what you can afford, but for once in my life, I want just one day to be about me (and hubby of course) and what WE want. Not just what we should get because its cheaper, or what other people think we should have/do. I'm only planning on doing this once and  I also want it to be a day that people remember.

I so sound like a cheesy movie Bride HAHA.... but its true. Funny words for somebody who never thought she would get married.

Try not to get too wound up LOL. I photograph weddings, I had one last year that was perfect except there was unseasonal rain and cold and the wedding was an outdoor one. The mother in law was a pain in the butt making constant comments like, "Oh this is a complete waste of time, stuff up"!. Myself  and the celebrant cleared a whole picnic area of seating and set up the wedding under cover, The bride ended up running through the rain with a bunch of guys holding umbrellas over her head which made a great photo. hail hit during the ceremony so it was hard to hear. The bridesmaids had Goosebumps. But the photos came out great and the bride had a great time.  I had some stuff ups on my own wedding day that we smile about now, great memories.   I have a wedding on Australia day, well actually a renewal of wedding vows after 20 years, just hoping this heat dies down. 

• Like 1

*Rolls up sleeves*

Ahem.

I learned a lot throughout our wedding process, so I offer my advice on the following matters.

1. Eliminate all people who will cause you stress. This should include on your guest list, in your day to day interactions, by sms, internet, facebook, family, WHOEVER is going to detract from the day. In the case of a meddling family member, assign them a menial task such as making sure they coordinate the groups of people who need to be in family photos after the ceremony. Give them the list well ahead of time and make sure they understand the dire importance of the role. DO NOT use someone who will hold it over your head for the rest of your life.

2. Google and EBay. Do not buy bonbonniere from wedding suppliers - they will rip you off. An example of this was our cupcake boxes - at the wedding supply store they retail for $4.90 each. On eBay you can get the exact same thing - 100 boxes for $60. It pays to do your shopping around!

3. Check out weddingpaperdivas and minted for cute, affordable invitations and place settings etc.

4. Make a list of the things you and your fiance see as most important expense wise. For us, the photographer and the venue were the 2 most important things, so they got the biggest slice of the wedding budget pie. mmm... pie..

Everything else should be negotiable. If the gifts you wish to give your guests aren't important, then don't! Spend your money how YOU wish to spend it.

5. Pick your venue before you try plan anything else. Once you have the canvas, you can start with colours, dress ideas, themes etc.

6. Give your phone to a bridesmaid the day before your wedding. Words cannot express the stress this will save you. Please, believe me on this one. Best thing I ever did. The day of my wedding, my phone had about 30 missed and received calls from one person who took it upon themselves to have a meltdown. I am beyond words thankful that I didn't know a thing about it and was able to enjoy the wedding day minus any stress at all.

7. Make lists. Check them off. Most importantly, have someone who is super organized make them with you, especially lists for the few days leading up to the wedding. It is amazing how your brain will go to mush when asked a simple question. It's invaluable to have someone with a clear head to be there for you.

8. Be prepared for people to ask you stupid things and favours right up to the day of your wedding. This highlights the benefits of number 6, giving your phone to someone else. I had friends asking me what they should wear to my wedding, if they could 'crash at my place' the night before, you name it! I also had my hairdresser message my phone the day before to tell me she had double booked and was coming at 9am to do my hair, when my wedding wasn't until 5pm. Thankfully I didn't have my phone, so I was oblivious to this stress. My bridesmaid took care of the whole thing without me having to know about it.

9. Be prepared to stick to your guns. If you want your groom to wear jeans and sneakers (because that's what HE wants) then ignore anyone and everyone who says otherwise. It is YOUR DAY. You WILL have people try to make it about them. The only thing you can control is how much you let it sway you. You can rock any look, any theme, any style, because it should ultimately be an expression of who you are as a couple. Screw everyone else. They're getting a free meal and can STFU. Sorry that sounds super harsh, but people are opinionated JERKS when it comes to weddings!

10. Stop every hour during the day and mentally take in what is happening around you. I did this and am so glad I did, because even still the day just goes so, so fast and you want to remember it!

Finally, enjoy it! Yes, you will feel stressed, yes, you will get bridezilla-ish at some stage, but that is completely normal! It's a hugely important day and it absolutely matters. xx

PS. If you need supplier recommendations, let me know. I can tell you exactly who to AVOID!!

• Like 5

Guest Bethany

Reading this thread wondering if I'll ever get married, been engaged over 6 years, been together 10, 2 kids, house, mortgage together but not married.  Just makes me think of the reasons for me not being the marrying type, think it's the fear of it all going wrong if I'm tied into a marriage or maybe it's just that I'm not the traditional type or that I always find something I'd rather spend whatever money we have spare on usually on the kids these days.  Find it annoying at times not having same surname as kids but doesn't really bother me all that much.  Probably has a lot to do with my old man to be honest.  I like the idea of arriving at my wedding on horse back if I ever get to that stage, other than that, not really thought about it.  Have just never had big dreams of my wedding day, kind of thinking that my excuse to not get married till I lost weight was just an easy answer at the time.  Wondering if I'll ever tie the knot, who knows. 

Am loving reading about your wedding dreams though :)

$10K is cheap!  Well, cheap compared to all the places we looked at.  You don't want to know what our minimum was, even for a Friday night.  Double yours and add a bit more :P  But all the places we were looking at were about the same.  

But yes, we have the venue sorted but am dreading everything else because of all the crazy costs....

Im with you! We are looking at $13,000 for our reception and then of course dress, flowers, photography, cars, la la la... So I'm guessing its going to be close to $20k. I only plan on getting married once so I'm going to do it proper and the way i want it the first time. 

Beth, lovely.. could you send me a pm with the places on ebay you got bonbonnieres from (if thats what you ended up doing?) and invitations if its a place that is good and i can't order over the net from? 

Also wondering if you got your girls dresses online? Any good suggestions for online dresses? Bridesmaid dresses are something i want to try and cut the cost on.. i obviously want them pretty but i don't want to be paying a bomb... i was quoted $1000 bucks per bridesmaid dress from a local dress maker, dresses are divine and exactly what i wanted but i cannot fathom paying that much for a dress (and she works out of her garage). 

BETH! Thankyou so much for all that advice :)

I am definately going to be shopping around for EVERYTHING, as well as suppliers against eachother to see who will give me the best deal lol. We're probably going to try and do some nice hand-made wedding favours for the personal touch.

I agree about not skimping on photos, they are the one thing that I am not willing to compromise on, although I will still be hunting for bargains. My sister is a budding amateur photographer, and although she has done one wedding, and her photos are nice, I couldn't bring myself to let her to do our wedding, even though it would have been SOOO CHEAP. To avoid her hurt feelings, I asked her to be a bridesmaid...therefore she can't take photos as she needs to be in the pictures :D she's happy, easy fix. (i also wanted her to be one anyway).

As for people causing stress...I know what you mean already. My mother the emotional terrorist at times, has already complained and caused a fuss about the date we picked, so its been changed to a month or so later than we had set. Although I am considering changing it again, as I know if we do it June-July, the costs for one of the venues we like goes from a minimum spend of $10k, down to only $2500! So that saving is definately worth considering, even if I risk having a wet-weather wedding. Rain and umbrellas could make for some beautiful photos though. :)

Unfortunately any other people that could cause stress are family/inlaws and there's not a whole lot i can do besides doing as much of the planning as I can without them. My fiance and I are taking the "secret wedding" approach, and not asking opinions on anything, everything is kept a secret til you get your invitations or turn up on the day, we're not revealing details of decorations and favours to anybody....because we simply dont want their opinion. we're picking things that we want lol. I'm happy to get new ideas from people, but i dont want them raining on my parade about things I have already chosen.

We have prepared for a few of the "favours" people might ask. On our wedding website, we have said that whilst we would like to open our home to receive guests, we are lacking in space to do so, and have provided affordable accommodation information nearby. We have also stated on the website that it is our wish to have an adults only reception, and hopefully the advanced noticed means they will still be able to share in our special day.

Translation: NO KIDS. and NO, you can't stay with us.

I have been in wedding planning mode for days, spending late night looking at venues and getting prices online. I have already found the following ways that I can cut down the cost of our reception:

1. Have it during the "off" seasons - saves thousands!
2. Have a cocktail or buffet style reception instead of a sit-down 3 course meal.

3. Have a weekday wedding, everything is a bit cheaper.

4. Make the ceremony the show-stopper, and spend money on photos......then just go and throw a big homestyle party where everybody brings a plate of food and some drinks!

5. Handmade decorations and wedding favours.

• Like 1

i got married 2 years ago and got my braidesmade dresses on ebay that saved us $170 each dress

i made our invites i made a dvd wedding invitation they come out at 80 cents each and they are unbelievble

i made the place cards i ended made place cards / menus on one card it lookes amazing and yes ebay for my favours and my sign in book and my wishing well box which i then decorated myself

you can save a fortune by getting it slowly looking for bargins and doing as much possible yourself

even got my shoes on ebay all brand nee but great prices and the wedding cake topper oh god nd the jewels i wore in my hair

so basicly ebay ebay ebay

its the best place

good luck with it all pm me if you need any help im a wedding junkie i luv it

• Like 1

Hey LBA, 

I always thought I would get married. Like every little girl I dreamt about it, walking down the aisle, the music playing, wearing a nice dress etc etc. But it just didn't happen. 

Lately, I've been toying with the idea of staging a wedding with a gay friend of mine being the husbandy thingie. He loves weddings too, and he can't get married either. I thought we'd both get to live out our fantasy!  If I can't do it for real, can I do it for theatre? Because, although I will get shot for this - there is an element of theatre to it. 

Anyway - I feel a *sigh* in your post and just wanted to say you are not alone. Miss unconventional with a kid over here too.....

Miss Ruthy

• Like 1

i got married 2 years ago and got my braidesmade dresses on ebay that saved us $170 each dress

i made our invites i made a dvd wedding invitation they come out at 80 cents each and they are unbelievble

i made the place cards i ended made place cards / menus on one card it lookes amazing and yes ebay for my favours and my sign in book and my wishing well box which i then decorated myself

you can save a fortune by getting it slowly looking for bargins and doing as much possible yourself

even got my shoes on ebay all brand nee but great prices and the wedding cake topper oh god nd the jewels i wore in my hair

so basicly ebay ebay ebay

its the best place

good luck with it all pm me if you need any help im a wedding junkie i luv it

Id be keen to hear on the place you got the dresses and also the invitations? 

Im keen to use ebay but i would prefer to use places other people have used so i know they are going to be good and i won't be ripped off etc... x

• Like 1

Also wondering if you got your girls dresses online? Any good suggestions for online dresses? Bridesmaid dresses are something i want to try and cut the cost on.. i obviously want them pretty but i don't want to be paying a bomb... i was quoted $1000 bucks per bridesmaid dress from a local dress maker, dresses are divine and exactly what i wanted but i cannot fathom paying that much for a dress (and she works out of her garage). 

You should check out JJ House. http://www.jjshouse.com/

Amazing dresses for very little money. A good friend of mine had two wedding dresses, both from JJ House and both were amazing (and cost under $500 for the PAIR) Honestly, you would never have guessed that the frothy, lace, pearl beaded princess number she wore for her ceremony was under $300... 

• Like 2

the braidesmade dresses i brought of a lady who had cancelled her wedding so it wasnt an actual site but i go for people with good feedback with high numbers of items sold ect i go with my gut feel on that.

the wedding dvd invites are the best thing i ever did i have made many for friends now its a brilliant idea.

i made them in windows movie maker

they went for 8 mins not to long to bore people but long enough to tell the story

i started with me and pete as babies then as we grew then us together now just a few shots

then it moved into info about the wedding pics of the reception and our times dates and travel info for our interstate guests accommodation info as it was at newport mirage and all beachy the theme was easy to incorporate the whole way through the invite

i put in our fav love poems and music in the background were our fav songs

i send them out in a square card that i got made that had a mini info card in it for people ro have in there car with times directions etc

they were a great intro to our wedding i think it helped people know what to wear the theme the feel of our wedding

everyone still raves about them and i would love to fo into the business of making them but to many already do them in sydney

they are easy to do yourself

kylie im happy for you to come over i can show you ours and teach you or help you make yours u can pic ny colour any theme nd follow it through your dvd

r

• Like 1