FreshStart2

Wedding Chatter

Well, the proverbial spanner has fallen into the works. My caterer passed away last night from a heart attack. Really feeling for her family and friends!!!!! It won't be too hard to find another caterer for my wedding, but they can't replace he in their lives! :(

Well, the proverbial spanner has fallen into the works. My caterer passed away last night from a heart attack. Really feeling for her family and friends!!!!! It won't be too hard to find another caterer for my wedding, but they can't replace he in their lives! :(

oh no!! Thats terrible

A reminder of how short our time is..... terrible news for the family.

Countdown - less than eight weeks until W-Day and I really hope my dress will arrive soon!!! Once it gets here and I know it is okay! then I can relax. In the meantime, it would be nice if the florist would return my emails - beginning to think she doesn't even want my business! I waited about three weeks then had to email her to remind her that she said she would give me a quote. Then she left a couple of items off the quote so I asked for the prices of those and haven't received a response in over a week. :/

I emailed her AGAIN yesterday, saying that she was the only florist I am talking to and that I had been starting to wonder whether she wanted my business but then realised she may have been very busy this week; However, it would be wonderful if she could let me know the prices of the flowergirl bouquet and corsages for the Mums as I can then decide what I can afford to order. I also told her that I definitely wanted a certain number of bouquets and boutonnieres but asked her the pricing with a different flower (that I hope will be less expensive).

The problem is that I don't know how to be assertive, because I feel mean so I end up cushioning what I would really like to say.

However, the ceremony is done, cake is ordered, I have spoken to the new caterer... It's all coming together.

Its hard to be assertive when planning a wedding because then you get accused of being a bridezilla lol.

• Like 1

And my dress arrived from China. Basically, it's a knockoff, skinny person design with width added on the sides so it's really bad. I was a mess last night, because it brought back all of my body image demons - if I wasn't a fat, ugly blob, the dress would be right; I don't get to look nice ever; I don't deserve to look beautiful on my wedding day, etc. I am so thankful for my wonderful fiancé, my bestie (and matron of honour) and my parents for loving me through the whole thing. To have my dress arrive and be completely unsalvageable less than eight weeks before the wedding day, with no time to order a different dress... Anyway, there is a dress at the wedding shop in town which I like. It's about half a size too small but I think I can manage to deal with that in eight weeks. I didn't want to spend $2000 on a dress but I don't have a whole heap of other options right about now, and Rob, Keren and my parents are all urging me to get it.

So thankful for their love and support on a night where I felt as low as I have been in a very long time. Mind you, it has also made me face the fact that I have been trying to ignore that my antidepressants are out of whack at the moment, and I haven't been able to ask for help, so I guess that is a good thing - that I now have help, and can get my meds looked at. Not ideal timing, but better than losing it completely a lot closer to the wedding.

So sorry to hear that Merrynda :( Thats one of the reasons I didnt buy a dress online. I looked forever and fully intended to only pay a couple hundred dollars for my dress, but I just couldnt bear the thought of it turning up a disaster and having no time to get something else. I feel for you, must be very stressful. I'm sure you will be able to find something beautiful in time, try browsing through some formal wear shops and see if they have some nice dresses in white? Thats a cheaper way to go. Or a bridesmaid dress you like, but in white and off the rack?

Dont fret. You will look beautiful on your wedding day no matte what your size :)

I'm excited! My invitation card and stationary has arrived in the mail, so I have been printing like a mad woman the last few days. I still need to buy some basic things like labels, stickers, postage stamps etc, but they will be all ready to go on the 1st January :)

Our wedding rings are being resized and dipped in rhodium, and they should be back in by Friday, so I get to pick those up. Also my wedding dress should be in this week too so on Saturday I have an appointment to go try it on and hopefully pay the balance and bring it home. I'm so nervous that it wont fit (ive lost weight since my fitting) or it wont be as gorgeous as I remember, it WAS a while ago that it was ordered....

Aaaand I have appointments with our photographer and celebrant this weekend, just to touch base, discus some details like ceremony content, timing etc. So it's all coming together. Need to start working on setting money aside to pay for particular services, maybe in envelopes or something? Eg, one for the cake, one for the photographer, one for the DJ, etc...

• Like 1

Hope things come together for you Nerrida.. There is bound to be one or two things go wrong in all the planning.

My dress wasn't exactly the same as the picture. But I understood they were knock offs and the quality wasn't going to be as good  and was willing to take the risks.

I made a mistake with the wedding invites and had to pay for them to be printed a second time. I nearly cried as we are in no position to be wasting $.

In the end I decided its like renovating a house or something, its big/ new territory and if you haven't done it before there are bound to be mistakes.. Im sure you will feel better when you get the princess dress. and you deserve it

I was so busy focusing on you dress the first time I read your post I overlooked the stuff about the antidepressants. Go to the Dr. TELL hubby and mum get support as it is a really stressful time for the next while and you will need extra love hugs, and practical help.

I am starting to panic and Im still 6 mths away

Well, I went back to the wedding shop in town with my matron of honour. Turns out there was some stretching of the truth from the shop lady. The dress I loved was not only half a size small. My MOH, who sews, said that even if the dress was let out AND I lost more weight before the wedding, it wouldn't fit. Dress disappointment #2.

So I emailed bridal boutiques all over the country, asking if they had that particular dress actually in my size (the shop lady had relabelled the size to a generic XL and wouldn't tell us exactly what size it was). Anyway, it turns out that the dress I had fallen in love with is not available anywhere in the world. :(

I got a phone call from Patricia at Curvaceous Bridal (in Sydney) and she was really helpful. She only sells bridal gowns in size 16 and up. She was so compassionate! I found a dress on her website which I liked so I asked if she had it in my size. She checked the manufacturer measurements and found that she did have the dress in ivory and in my size. My Mum has paid by credit card and Patricia has posted the dress by registered mail, so I should get it next week. I was so impressed by the service I got from her!!!

I went back to the doctor this week after barely sleeping Tuesday night. She has increased my antidepressants and given me sleeping tablets. I know it will take a while to feel the full effect of the increase in meds but my fiancé, MOH and parents have been so supportive that I am already starting to feel less stressed. Once I get school reports out of the way, that will help too!!!

• Like 4

To be honest I have heard a lot of bad things about bridal shop owners so its no wonder people are resorting to the overseas suppliers. If you are in a service industry, you have to give good service. Weddings, and especially the gown deserve priority treatment. All the best Merrynda in getting the rest of the way without any more major dramas. xoxoxox

• Like 3

I picked up my dress today!! Im so glad I did because the are shutting their shop and trying to get all the brides to pick their gowns up before they lose them to liquidators!! Id have been so devastated and pissed off if I lost the dress ive already paid over $1000 for!

But I got it, with my veil and headpiece, it fits beautifully and im so happy with it :)

Also I picked up our wedding rings which came ip amazing as well. The jeweller had a sale on so we decided to put a replacement engagement ring on layby too. It was $2500 marked down to $999!!! Its a gorgeous square cut diamond on a plain white gold band. It looks great with my wedding band, just nice and simple and "me".

• Like 4

I picked up my dress today!! Im so glad I did because the are shutting their shop and trying to get all the brides to pick their gowns up before they lose them to liquidators!! Id have been so devastated and pissed off if I lost the dress ive already paid over $1000 for!

But I got it, with my veil and headpiece, it fits beautifully and im so happy with it :)

Also I picked up our wedding rings which came ip amazing as well. The jeweller had a sale on so we decided to put a replacement engagement ring on layby too. It was $2500 marked down to $999!!! Its a gorgeous square cut diamond on a plain white gold band. It looks great with my wedding band, just nice and simple and "me".

So glad you have got your dress, rings, veil, headpiece and a new engagement ring on layby!!! Eeeeeeee!!!!! How exciting!!!!!!!! :D

13 days to go for me.. turns out my dress is becoming a disaster as well, we can't lace the f**** up. I don't know if its because i have put on 3kg's (i didn't think it would make THAT much of a difference) or if we just aren't lacing it up correctly... over it.

We had a drama today. We met with our celebrant to start structuring the ceremony, it was all going really well until the end of the meeting, when Daniel notices she has 4/4/2014 written on her forms...our wedding date is the 5th....

long story short, either we didnt confirm the date, or she just wrote down the wrong one when we booked in February, and she has double-booked us for our wedding date! Nightmare...

Anyway, our options were to keep her and have a morning ceremony, or find another celebrant. I wasnt keen on having a morning ceremony, i dont really want to move it at all. But I sent on one...yes only ONE email straight away to another celebrant, and she is available but has another wedding to do 1 hour after ours starts...so i've said we can move ours forward an hour to give her enough time to get our ceremony done, and get to her other wedding on time.

I'm meeting with her this week and have a chat, and im emailing our other services (photographer, cars, dj etc) to make sure they wont have any issues with it being an hour earlier than planned. I'm going to have to spend another $50-100 on more card to reprint all the invitations with the right time.....but that seemed easier than moving everything else to the morning!!

Oh, no! Hugs Kylie and Leanne!!! So sorry to hear that these things have happened! Leanne - glad you have been able to find another celebrant, hope that the time change won't cause any difficulties with the other vendors.

Kylie - is there a dressmaker or someone you could visit to show you how to lace up the gown? I wouldn't have thought three kilos would make that much difference!!!

To be honest I have heard a lot of bad things about bridal shop owners so its no wonder people are resorting to the overseas suppliers. If you are in a service industry, you have to give good service. Weddings, and especially the gown deserve priority treatment. All the best Merrynda in getting the rest of the way without any more major dramas. xoxoxox

Thanks Nanna!

Today I ordered my MOB gown online today. Fingers crossed it will arrive just as beautiful as on the model.

• Like 2

You are welcome. You will be a stunning bride :) and you deserve to have a spectacular and memorable day.

Thanks Nanna!

• Like 1

I have to say I have been married for 22 yrs and going well but gee I've enjoyed reading these posts as they've bought back some memories ( some good, some bad). Human nature is a tricky thing at the best of times but unfortunately wedding planning can bring out the very worst of people and I really think they don't realise it as they're only thinking of themselves at that time when it should be about you and your special day. Best wishes to all the brides on here and I'm looking forward to seeing some photos as the different photos that have been posted on here have looked great.  B)  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Im starting to get really stressed out. After the celebrant issue ysterday I was having wedding nightmares last night about missing out photos and the reception being all wrong.

Yesterday morning I sent a facebook message to my bridesmaids asking if they had organised any alterations for their dresses yet? Facebook tells me they had all seen the message but only my maid of honor has responded today saying her dress is a bit too bit,,too long and no she hasnt organised anything. No response from the others. I sent her another message asking if she can round up the other 2 in an alterations shop and get it sorted, let me know the cost. She saw that message immediately and hasnt responded at all.

Im starting to think that they're losing interest in being bridesmaids and dont understand that its not something I can leave til the last minute. If they want to pull out or hate the dress, I need to know NOW so I can get replacements sorted. I understand they have their own lives and limited budgets, and I dont know how to bring this up without sounding like a bitch/bridezilla. They all live in perth and I live in adelaide and I feel like im planning everything on my own. I dont have my mum, step-mum, sister or even bridesmaids here to help me with anything and it sucks.

Leanne, I'm sorry to hear that. I was very worried about coming across as a bridezilla. All my maids were in New York, Sydney, Perth and my MOH was in Melbourne but she was fairly unavailable most of the time when I needed her. I did pretty much everything on my own and the girls pulled it all together for me on the few days before, but even still, I didn't have all of them together until the day before the wedding, and that was the first time I'd ever seen their dresses! In hindsight I wish I'd been a bit more firm with them on that - even my MOH was out of town until the day before the wedding. It was a bit stressful at the time, but it all comes together.

My advice to you would be to wait a day or two regarding following up on the alterations email. I don't think it's that they're not interested, in my experience it's usually that people are time poor and they probably haven't done it yet and don't want to stress you out by saying so. No one will ever really understand the stress or rush except the bride, to be honest. Try not to bombard them if you have a few days to spare on the follow up. How many Bridesmaids are you having and what date is the wedding? It's hard when it's your entire focus but someone's side note!!

My advice to you would be to wait a day or two regarding following up on the alterations email. I don't think it's that they're not interested, in my experience it's usually that people are time poor and they probably haven't done it yet and don't want to stress you out by saying so. No one will ever really understand the stress or rush except the bride, to be honest. Try not to bombard them if you have a few days to spare on the follow up. How many Bridesmaids are you having and what date is the wedding? It's hard when it's your entire focus but someone's side note!!

Thats great advice, and you were right. When it's all i have to think about, i tend to want things done right away, and i forget that its just not as important to other people as it is to me. The girls did respond and they put my mind at ease, im confident they are still keen and they will get the dresses looked at. There are 3 of them. The wedding isnt until April, but I want to be on top of things early if I can, to avoid any surprises, and make sure I have time to correct any hiccups.

Last night was the second night in a row i've had a negative dream about the wedding/my relationship, i think i have a bit of anxiety at the moment about everything. I'm not having second thoughts about marrying him at all, its just the stress of the organising and the financial committments we've made so far.

I tend to get clothing adjusted at the last minute, I would never do it 5 months out. The habits of a person who has been on a diet their whole adult life maybe? :P

I understand having bridesmaids not nearby. My matron of honour is here in town (a newlywed herself) but my other three bridesmaids are in Perth, Albany and Hobart. However, I posted the dresses to them and have heard back from all that they fit perfectly. They are sending them back to me. We are now six and a half weeks out.

I think I have been waiting so long to get married (feels that way, since I will be 30 in April) that I have wanted to organise everything. My bridesmaids have said they feel a bit left out because I've done everything. Even my MOH in town feels like she hasn't done anything to help, she said. But part of it is that with such a short engagement, we haven't had time to look at this option and that option, so we just made the choice and locked it in.

• Like 1