MissA

My Big Fat Operation - ABC2

ABC2 is running a documentary series over the next few weeks called 'My Big Fat Operation' and follows people as they have bariatric surgery. It starts tomorrow Wed 09/01 at 8.40pm.

Thought there may be many people interested in watching! I know I am...

• Like 8

Thanks Miss A I have made a note of that for tomorrow.

Thanks for that, just set the recorder!

I've seen a few documentaries on obesity surgery and I've either only seen the band or bypass, no sleeve.

There is an episode of embarrassing bodies that shows the sleeve, it was actually on foxtel a few weeks ago. They did it on a lady who had a few large hernias but the surgeon decided she needed to lose weight first before fixing the abdominal hernias so they did the sleeve. Not a hugely long term look at it but was interesting none the less

I really enjoyed the show. it showed alot about how people were commented about by others for being over weight. will defiantly watch it again next week. Thanks for letting us know it was on. MissA.

• Like 1

Got to say was a bit disappointed in it. Thought they could of done a better job of explaining the procedures and diet pre and post opp a bit . That bloke had one of those balloon things in him pre opp they did not even try to explain what it was or how long it was in him etc. If I was just starting to look into WLS now and saw that program I don't think I would of gained any more knowledge that when I first started looking.

I quite enjoyed it, especially as they showed the good and the bad - that these people talked about their struggles with it and that they had a few hiccups along the way. I'm also glad they showed some of the operation but it wasn't too icky

Got to say was a bit disappointed in it. Thought they could of done a better job of explaining the procedures and diet pre and post opp a bit . That bloke had one of those balloon things in him pre opp they did not even try to explain what it was or how long it was in him etc. If I was just starting to look into WLS now and saw that program I don't think I would of gained any more knowledge that when I first started looking.

I thought they said he had the balloon in for the previous 9 months. Something about he was offerred either a liquid low calorie only diet or could have the balloon. With the balloon he was restricted to only being able to consume liquids. Imagine being so large that you're told you have to loose 60-70kgs before they can give you weight loss surgery. Such a long journey for him.

• Like 2

I thought they said he had the balloon in for the previous 9 months. Something about he was offerred either a liquid low calorie only diet or could have the balloon. With the balloon he was restricted to only being able to consume liquids. Imagine being so large that you're told you have to loose 60-70kgs before they can give you weight loss surgery. Such a long journey for him.

Yeah sure what I was getting at was, I knew what they where talking about because I have studied all these procedures and been through it, but my partner sitting next to me had no idea what they where talking about. Just felt they could of done a better job of explaining things.

I reckon if I had to do a VLCD liquid diet for that long, I'd want a balloon too! at least his liver was lovely and small by the end of it :)

• Like 1

Omg, I just thnk my lucky stars to be blessed to live in Australia with a decent healthcare system and the financial freedom to have this surgery when my BMI was 35. To face a journey as long as they faced.......what courage that must take.

• Like 4

Thanks missy bell , I had never heard of it. easy to understand artical, cheers

Yeah sh really had a phobia with needles didn`t she ..a great loving supporting hubby....