Hey all - long time no post!! 

Just a question, I got the lap band almost 12months ago now - woot woot!! And i've noticed within the last six months my immunity for things has gone down - things that usually wouldn't bother me are now becoming annoying issues... 

Eg: got my eye brows waxed about a month ago (have been getting them done since i was a teen with no problems) I ended up getting a painful abscess, had to go to the docs to get it drained etc etc, Or getting ingrown hairs alot that get infected frequently... Or just the other day i got ring worm, but no one else in the house has it...

About 4months ago i got fulll bloods done, and everything was in 'normal' range...  

I don't know if i'm just being paranoid, or if it may have something to do with me eating less or something??? >>>>admittedly i don't take a multi >>>which i'm assuming may be the issue here, but again - all my tests came back normal... 

Would love any feedback!! Hope you all had awesome xmas's and new-years!  :P  :P  :P

Hi BekCanDoIt, 

I would definitely take a multivitamin everyday to boost your immunity and maybe ask your doctor to do some blood tests again just in case. 

Libby  :) 

• Like 2

Yes, are you taking multi-vitamins and getting plenty of vitamin D? 

I have had the opposite happen.  Used to get a bit of ongoing athlete's foot, and heat rashes where skin creases, but nothing since starting to lose weight.  Also, I have had very few headaches since getting banded. 

I know they automatically give you an antibiotic when you get operated on, and perhaps that is what has cleared up my skin, but that was quite a few months ago now.  I have heard that when you are given antibiotics you can feel good because they clear up stuff, but once the effect wears off you can be more prone to infections.  Not sure if that is true or not, but maybe that is why you are noticing things now.

• Like 1

not sure but I suspect that the band does lower your immunity... I say this because, I never got sick before yet since being banded in August, I have had gastro twice! I don't think I have had that for 10 years or more!

• Like 1

Hi BekCanDoIt, 

I would definitely take a multivitamin everyday to boost your immunity and maybe ask your doctor to do some blood tests again just in case. 

Libby  :) 

Yeah true that Libby - I must get something this week!! must!! 

Yes, are you taking multi-vitamins and getting plenty of vitamin D? 

I have had the opposite happen.  Used to get a bit of ongoing athlete's foot, and heat rashes where skin creases, but nothing since starting to lose weight.  Also, I have had very few headaches since getting banded. 

I know they automatically give you an antibiotic when you get operated on, and perhaps that is what has cleared up my skin, but that was quite a few months ago now.  I have heard that when you are given antibiotics you can feel good because they clear up stuff, but once the effect wears off you can be more prone to infections.  Not sure if that is true or not, but maybe that is why you are noticing things now.

In the past i've had a vitamin D deficiency, but the last time i got tested i was within 'normal' I dont take a multi atm - which is probably (well at least i'm hoping) the underlying issue here. hmmm i might just have to go back to the Doc and see if he can do some investigating!!  

not sure but I suspect that the band does lower your immunity... I say this because, I never got sick before yet since being banded in August, I have had gastro twice! I don't think I have had that for 10 years or more!

Yeah thats why i'm so suss on it - because before the band, i was pretty 'tough' - it would take me a lot to get sick, these days i feel like someone might have a cold three houses down and i'm still at risk of getting it!! lol. 

Maybe take one of those immune system boosting supplements as well? Like a probiotic, or Yakult?

• Like 1

I would also if I was you take some Vitamin C as it boosts the immune system I remember last year when I had a cold/flu (not sure which one)  the doc gave me antibiotic and said to also take some Vit C which helped me get over it very quickly. I still take some most days as these are chewable and I take approx two a day. 

I went today for my blood test which included fasting one for Diabetes to make sure that it has not come back (off tabs since Xmas 2011).

I take probiotics every day now since being banded - I feel better on them, and am more regular when I take them.

Yakult light drinks are easy to take, and have been very helpful for me.

Hi :) I'm not banded (yet) so I don't know in relation to that, however stress can really impact your immune system. When your chronically stressed it runs down your immune system and that's when people start to get sick & not heal, that sort of thing. Not sure if it's a factor for you but worth a mention :) 

Many vitamins and minerals dont show on blood tests and cant be tested for, especially the minerals - all of which we need to replace daily.

As far as I'm aware (having been or am deficient in many things) the only ones that show up on bloods are folate, B1, B6 & B12, calcium, vitamin D, Potassium (possibly magnessium - however i think that when your potassium levels drop so do you magnesium so im not 100% sure on this particular one)...

Apart from taking a multivitamin, maybe next time you see your Doc - ask him/her if they do macro and micro nutrient testing... and you might get more infomation especially when it comes to skins problems such as abcesses (although that may have been a one off with the wax??) This type of testing is more complex and is used to diagnose problems to find out wheat intolerances and other food issues such as celiac disease etc.

Jen

this is what they can test forin your bloods at a general GP level. http://www.healthscopepathology.com.au/index.php/functional-pathology/tests/vitamins-minerals-and-antioxidants/

You may need to see an endocrinologist for more detailed blood testing but ask your GP first. :D