KeepStrong2012

Eating out on Mushies

Hi, I start my mushie stage on Tuesday. Then the following week 24th, 25th and 26th of Jan I am going away with my partner and two friends. I am trying to be a secret bandit i.e. only my partner knows. I am really worried about what am I going to eat?

Eating out on mash ideas please? Safe options on a typical menu?

I am going to be around the Beechworth/Yackandandah in Victoria if anyone knows places in that area with specific meals.

Hi, I start my mushie stage on Tuesday. Then the following week 24th, 25th and 26th of Jan I am going away with my partner and two friends. I am trying to be a secret bandit i.e. only my partner knows. I am really worried about what am I going to eat?

Eating out on mash ideas please? Safe options on a typical menu?

I am going to be around the Beechworth/Yackandandah in Victoria if anyone knows places in that area with specific meals.

Ooh I have family in yak!

Um I haven't eaten out much in that area AS we'd eat at my aunties house, however, if you go out... Before ordering I would suggest maybe excusing yourself from the table, asking to speak to either the chef/cook or the manager, and explain you need to eat really soft mushy PE foods due to a recent abdominal surgery. (That's all you'd need to say), maybe suggest that it would be similar to eating after having your wisdom teeth out? and if they have any suggestions for you, or if the chef can make you something that would be ok.

Otherwise you can always tell the chef/cook/manager that you've recently had banding surgery, as its likely you won't see them again (I've done that when I've gone shopping for clothes as I know I won't see them again, and I'm a secret bandit), and they might be even more understanding + let them know, some of your dinner guests don't know this, which is why your talking to them separately.

If your friends ask you where you've gone, you can always just say you read a review that mentioned a certain dish and wanted to find out if they had it still... (No they don't) or you wanted to have a look at the wine range at the bar.... Or simply congratulating the business on a recent review? I'm sure you could make it up.

For food during the day, just make sure you chew chew chew. Anything you can mush up in your mouth, and if you have no alternate option - I would suggest ordering the fish.

I hope that helps KeepStrong. Have a lovely time in the area. Say safe during the fire season! And please, let me know how you went!

It's a beautiful area!

Jen xx

Soup might be safe and mashed potato too.

If out for lunch you might be able to order eggs if they do 'all day breakfast'' on the menu. Leave the toast and just say you are on a low carb diet.

Good luck.

• Like 1

If you can chew it to a paste, and you eat very small 5 cent piece sizes then you can probably have it. WAIT 1 MINUTE BETWEEN BITES :) Think about the size of some of the vitamin or or painkiller pills. Take bites that size. I found that sipping a teeny tiny amount of water helps loosen things up if I have been chewing forever. But some things are going to cause more problems than others. Just look for soft options - soup, only order an entrée or side dish. Some places have a tapas type menu these days and people can share little portions. They often have salmon, pate's, scallops, cold meats, charcuterie plates, soft cheeses etc. All lovely and yummy. 

I have heard a good many excuses in restaurants and a good one is that the menu is crap and you don't really fancy anything on it. Especially if you just had something at lunch and its the only thing you like on the menu.

Drinks - if you are having wine - ask for a bottle of sparkling mineral water or soda water and use that to top your glass up while you are drinking. it will stop others ordering drinks for you. Stick to 2 glasses of wine max. I found that having a glass of something helps with the slow eating - when i am not eating I am drinking - so keeping busy!! Remember to wait until the food has gone down before having a proper drink.

eggs, milk shakes or smoothies, cottage cheese, ricotta, yoghurts, fruit, boiled or steamed vegetables, custards, soups.

will you be having 3 meals a day with the friends or sharing the same house? if not, you can keep mushie foods in your own accommodation and have private meals as often as possible?

Maybe have a few Optifasts as well? If you tell your friends you are trying to lose weight, the Opti shakes or soups wouldn't give you away.

Thanks guys :)

We will be sharing the same house and be out exploring a fair bit.

My booklet says I can start introducing and eating solids on 21st of Jan (end of week 2) and by the end of week 3 liquid calories should be the past and I should just be eating solids etc.

Basically easy to eat soft semi solid food ideas are greatly appreciated.

I think scallops or fish would be okay especially in a sauce. I like the idea of scallops and soft cheese.

Maybe I can get away with eating fish with soft vegetables for dinner. I could have eggs for breakfast