Lizzy M

1 year on, what have you achieved?

Today marks my 1 year anniversary since I got my band. I have lost a total of 44 kgs and still have another 21 kgs to go to get to my ideal BMI. I am so happy with my decision to have a band, and recommended anyone who has been considering having a band to get it sooner rather than latter, my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I contemplated the idea for a good 3 years. Would love to hear what others have achieved in 12 months

• Like 13

Well done to you! Im sure you will continue on with your fantastic progress.

My ticker basically says what I've achieved to date.

• Like 5

Congratulations Lizzy!  I was thinking of you today as we were banded around the same time.  I somehow missed my anniversary.  :D

I am so pleased to have gone ahead with banding. In conjuction with the band I have also worked out with a personal trainer three times a week.  I have never felt fitter or healthier.

This time last year I was an Autograph size 22, today I am wearing a Veronica Maine size 10.

This time next week I am booked in for a lower body lift.  Eeeek!  I am anxious about the surgery but feel 'weighed' down by my extra skin and am looking forward to a 'brighter lighter' future.

Wishing all the January 2012 bandits a happy anniversary.     To all the new bandits, hang in there.  The results are so worth it.  x

• Like 8

I LOVE reading posts from those who have achieved their goal weight, or close to it. :)

i hope that I have achieved goal by the time I get to my bandiversary :)

• Like 3

I get banded in nine days. I'm so excited and nervous. It's great to see people who are doing so well. I hope I can do just as well as both of you.

• Like 3

I hope this is not seen as hijacking this post but I thought it easier to respond here to a few personal messages I have received in respect to my band experience. 

Scars

I can hardly see my scars now.  They are no longer pink and are skin coloured.   I used Bio Oil on them from week two post operatively.   Given how expensive the oil was I was determined to make sure I used it.  I read a post here about putting the oil in plastic spray bottle and using it after each shower.  I found by doing this it became routine. 

Clothing

Dropping 12 sizes in 12 months is exciting but also very expensive.   Keeping on top of my changing size is something my mum and I have shared.   Mum calls scouring second hand clothes stores and sales for bargains for me her new hobby.  Over the year I have donated 35 (mum kept count!) green garbage bags to charity.   I never really shopped at charity stores or garage sales before I lost weight and now the more the bargain the more I enjoy the piece of clothing.  The best sales I have found are church jumble sales.  Last weekend I went to one where every item of clothing was $2.   I am now the owner of a Calvin Klein dress and a Vera Wang pair of jeans for the grand total of $4.  After a wash in Napisan and good iron they look like a million dollars. 

My other advice is to head to Katies.   When I couldn’t find a pair of jeans to fit at Autograph the salesgirl suggested I head next door to Katies.  I remember her taking me to the door and telling the Katies salesgirl to be good to me.  It was an amazing feeling at the time to cross the ‘threshold’ to a non plus sized store.   I totally recommend the Ultimate Fit jeans.  I chose the first pair because they didn’t rub on my incisions. I still like them as they hold me in with the extra skin etc. I started in a 16 and am now in a 10.  I would suggest you buy as tight as you can as they stretch a bit throughout the day. 

http://www.katies.com.au/ULTIMATE-STRAIGHT-JEAN-SHORT.aspx?p2025865&cr=pi4v__094928

Underwear

Honestly, underwear is my weakness.  I get teased by friends that I can’t leave the house unless I am matching.  Before I lost weight I was a 22DD and my favourite brands were Intimo, Berlei and Triumph.   As I was dropping sizes the money I was wasting on underwear was ridiculous.   I was only wearing some pieces for a month at most.   A few months ago I discovered Best and Less.  I hadn’t shopped in Best and Less for years and when I came across their underwear range I was stunned.   They have a particular range of slightly padded/shaped bras (that mould out the saggy skin) and matching briefs for $11 a set.   The colours and trims are beautiful.   I received a Honey Birdette matching set for Christmas in a 12C and while they are beautiful; to be honest I prefer the shape of my Best and Less ones.

By the way I have no connection with Katies or Best and Less.  They wouldn’t have a clue who I was.  I just like their products.

I hope these answers help a little.   Happy to share my experience. :D

• Like 5

Well done Lizzy and Butterflies. Thanks for sharing. Inspiring!

Would love to hear what really helped you stay on track and the kind of foods you ate.

Almost 6 mths on and 1/2 way to goal and doubt at this rate will reach goal by 1 year anniversary. 

Have been a bit slack with diet of late and its true you cant band your head. Was tempted to have some M&Ms before so was a good thing to read this thread to help me stay focussed and away from the m&ms!!!