Sign in to follow this  
Elodie

Creamy chicken and veg soup

This is a recipe I have made up as I've gone along, using base ideas of other soups.  To me, and my fussy partner, it tastes just like the canned Cream of Chicken soup.  But its much healthier and far lower in sodium.

1 & 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken

1 leek, white and pale green part only, finely diced 

4 cloves of garlic, finely diced

100g sliced mushrooms

2 cups baby spinach leaves

1/2 cup baby spinach leaves finely diced

2 carrots, cut into thin slices

3 medium sized potatoes, cut into quarters

1L reduced salt chicken stock

Herbs to taste, I used 1/2 tsp of cumin, marjoram, cardamom, paprika and fresh ground black pepper

175ml Light and Creamy Evaporated Milk (approx. half a 375ml can. I found it quite creamy after this amount so stopped there but this is up to you)

Saute leek and garlic in large saucepan over low heat until soft and transparent. (I use a non stick pan so no oil or butter required) about 5 - 10mins.  Add mushrooms and stir to combine, cook another 5 mins.

Add carrots, potatoes, chicken, stock and spinach leaves, cover with lid and simmer for 45mins - 1hr on medium heat or until veg are cooked through.

Blitz with stick mixer or allow to cool and puree in blender.  Add condensed milk and stir well.  Return to low heat and added finely chopped spinach and simmer on low heat for another 10 mins stirring occasionally.  I added more ground black pepper at the end but this is also optional.

Because I've made it up I have no idea how to work nutritional values, I'm sorry! Would be nice with some sweet corn, my partner will most likely eat it with some additional shredded chicken in it so he has something to chew.

• Like 1