Sezza

Diets done and successes/failures

Oh yes the lovely Xenical oily orifice leak. I lost a few good undies to that stain and developed an almost obsessive checking habit. Even the loo in shopping centres were a bit of a worry for decency as the sounds emitting from your cubicle sounds like someone drowning Donald Duck. Never again!

oh yeah, who remembers the good 'ol Limits biscuit diet? 

Me, me. My mum had me on them at 11 because I had a little bit of a tummy.

• Like 1

I've joined weight watchers so many times I've lost count, it always works for a while and then I get over it and the weekly cost. I've done zenical but didn't do much except cause me to have little accidents all the time. Sure slim was a complete failure and Jenny Craig was ok but I couldn't cope with all the processed food and then still has to cook for the rest of the family. Then there is the countless diet books, dr phill, Oprah, PCOS, low gi, the list goes on. Also tried caffein pills when I was young and only needed to loose 5 kg I think it was the start of my yoyo dieting. I've also tried tony ferguson and optifast for a while. They all work but as soon as I stop it all comes back and more. I feel like the band really isn't a diet it just my life now and it's changing my eating habits more than any diet ever could.

• Like 1

Weight Watchers - lost about 15kg, but couldn't keep it up

Duromine - was psycho, but didn't lose any weight after the first month

Reductil - lost a bit, most of it in diarrhea (sorry if TMI)

CSIRO - no loss, I need some carbs

Meal replacement shakes (before Optifast existed), spent most of my time vomiting

Lemon Detox Diet - not even going to say what that one was like...

Lite n Easy - never lost any weight on this, but still order it occasionally as I like the food.

Rapid Loss - didn't make me feel any less hungry

Probably more, but these are the big one...

• Like 1

I forgot Atkins, xenical (I was 10 years old...) and hypnotherapy. I also saw a dietician when I was 9.

I was probably 10 or 11 when was put on my first diet for being overweight. Remembered at the time how horrible wholemeal bread and ricotta was (love it now!)

Always self conscious as a teen and my mum a serial dieter would always give me smaller portions at dinner (and then would sneak biscuits etc from pantry and eat them in my room after dinner - which probably explains why my hour of weakness is still after dinner perhaps?)

Jenny Craig - lost weight but gained

Soup Diet, countless gym memberships. Especially from late teens throughout my 20s, was a gym exercise junkie. Would exercise more than eat healthy. Now I just dont have time for exercise what with fulltime work and kids! Too exhausted.

Lite N Easy - twice. Worked and lost 1kg per week until I got bored and started skipping the meals until I went completely off it and then immediately regained.

Dietician. Slow weight loss but steady. Finally got pregnant and despite twin pregnancy didnt gain a massive amount (until the end due to fluid retention - which lost pretty much straight away) Was only 4kg heavier than when fell pregnant but within the year had put on 12 kgs! And heaviest had ever been in my life at 104kgs!

I am now at the default weight I end up after dieting in my 30s and as I approach 40 my biggest fear is I wont get to under 80. And to think in my 20s Weighing 76kgs was so overweight!!! 

And now the lap band! Try to keep portions in check but easy to eat slow and eat more. Aim for 2-3 meals a day with no snacking (although evenings can sometimes be my weakness esp when in company). Sick of counting calories and strick routines. Just trying to be sensible whilst still enjoying eating. At the end of the day LOVE food! Want to have a healthy relationship with food. But fighting those demons is still a daily battle!!! From fighting to have strenght and willpower to fighting against the saboteur and negative feelings of failure. I hope that one day I can be rid of dieting, guilt and have a healthy relationship with food with the help of the band!

Spent some time researching the ketosis diet yesterday and was quite put off by all the oil, then realised im an idiot, i dont need to follow stupid diets, i just need to eat properly now and follow the rules for my sleeve.  So, back to basics i go today, lots of protein, no snacks, no sugar and low carbs.

I'm amazed - but probably shouldn't be - that there are so many diets/programs out there.  And I'm sure we've just scratched the surface!

WW - 3 times.  First time, lost 3kg first week, bugger all subsequent weeks; next time they had changed the program and lost a few kgs over about 3 months; last time, pretty much the same.

Xenical - horrible horrible stuff.  I'm sure it's what caused me to have my gall bladder become inflamed thereby requiring surgery...no gallstones, just incredible pain there

Paleo - lost 3kg in first week, again bugger all after that...stuck with it for MONTHS.  Felt great on it though, so thinking that I will probably go for something like this kind of eating with the band.

Michelle Bridges - (it was $200 up front, I think $300 if you paid in installments),  Again, lost 3kg first week (see a pattern here?) and very little for the remainder of the time.  Found the lack of planning ahead frustrating...getting the diet drip fed to me made shopping really a hassle.

Herbal Life - what a joke...talk about expensive!!!

I'm sure there are heaps out there.

What I found frustrating is that everything I've read says "it's diet, not exercise that will make the difference in weight loss".  Well, from my experience, the time I was most successful was when I had built up to daily exercise (1 hr at gym religiously) and lots of other active things like walking and tennis.  I think food became less of an obsession then when my body felt like it just didn't need the crap I had been eating.  I think i listened to what it was telling me and acted accordingly.

I've had a shoulder and hip injuries that are slowly on the mend - been about 6 months of physio and slowly getting back to using it in the gym.  I really want to do more, but when I tried pushing myself a few months ago I was in agony and figured it's better to just make sure they're properly healed (or as much as possible anyway).  I'm at the point where walking and even jogging are not possible, but the shoulder is still going to take awhile.  I hate getting old!  So as of now, I'm just refusing to do so :)

And from what I've read of everyone here, it's not that we don't WANT to lose weight, or that we're lazy (as Sezza points out!)...there are so many complex reasons why we haven't.  Maybe we haven't felt that we deserve to, that we're afraid to, that our bodies for whatever reason stubbornly cling to holding the weight...I don't know...I think there are as many reasons as there are people.  But I really really really want to nail this one.

I have to.

• Like 1

I felt great doing Paleo & the wheat belly diet too Tasannie, and even did just the clean living meal plans when I was less strict. I don't have wheat as part of my daily life and feel so much better for it. If I "cheat" and have something that cotains wheat/sugar, its not long before the cramps and bloating starts..then the desire to have more sugar and wheat...bit of a vicious circle.

I realise that this is an 'old' thread, but I want to bump it, so that I may ask a relevant question without starting a new thread.

I am curious to know if anyone has had WLS and THEN gone on to try losing weight via a "diet plan"?? I'm not thinking anything like following the instructions of the dietitian, but more rigid and organised commercial type plans.

I'd read a bit about Cohens, Atkins, JC etc before I was banded, but never did the programs. I understand that the company push is non sustainable, so I'm not really looking for opinions on the various "diets" out there... but has anyone with a lapband then done Cohens for example?

I'm curious to know, if the major stumbling block with these commercial diets is hunger/deprivation, then would a 'bandit in the green zone' be able to do it 'easier'??

Just curious

:-D

I cut out sugar and carbs (permanently) minus a cheat day here and there. I use oil/fats in moderation and keep away from nuts as I can never stop at 'just a few' so I don't bother. I've minimised my intake of lactose due to bloating issues but still have skim milk and yoghurt here and there but in small amounts. I've switched to (mostly) almond/coconut milk combined. Tastes nice. 

I can't do a 'diet' as such; I need to be able to eat something when hungry, whether it's head hungry or real hungry...as soon as I'm told 'No more food for you!' I fail...so, if I'm snacky, I have a tin of tuna or a boiled egg or a piece of grilled chicken that I keep in the fridge. I follow Dukan-diet style principles because it's what I can maintain long-term.

Oh, and I eat two pieces of fruit per day (usually oranges/apples) which, when you don't consume refined sugar, become the tastiest treats around lol

• Like 1

Anyone know of anyone who's done the Cohen diet post lapband though?

i also have cut out carbs/fatty/sugar foods. the dukan diet is great is a lot of protein and veg which we all know is natural and great for our bodies!

my friend who is a PT has just started me on herbalife, which is a green tea, fibre complex, water retension pill and guarana pill. his mum lost 12kg and has kept it off, and the abs on this kid is enough to make you buy a lifetime of it!!! :P

Pre Bandit all my diets were unsuccessful and yeah that's why I'm now a Bandit. 99% of human will fail at diets and those who design them know this. Sure we may have some success but we are creatures of habits and eventually we'll return to our old bad habits but with my band I won't return because my brain has been reprogrammed and I just can't over eat.