Krackers

Deflated by Surgeon :( Not as confident.

Start Rant; Sorry Guys  :angry:

I had my pre op appt today and met the surgeon for the first time. He is a young surgeon and I have to say quite arrogant. I felt like a two year old!! I know this is life changing. This is a decision I have thought long and hard about. I understand that he has to make us aware of issues and stuff that can go wrong. I am not having this as a cheat's way of loosing weight. 

I get that. 

I am well aware that the band will not turn off the following;

Emotional Eating

Boredom Eating

Stop me from craving certain foods. I am having a lap bad not switching my life off! He said that I will always have issues with type 2 diabetes and insulin. Way to build my confidence in what i am doing!!

I bounced in there and slunk out  :o  <_<  :(  :unsure:  :wacko:

Hi Krackers,

I'm really sorry you've had that experience with the doctor. I've had some shockers in the past as well. But as you've pointed out, you know what's ahead of you. And you - all of us really - have the ability to make the changes we need to make. You can do it. And he's just one voice. Don't let his be the one that you live by.

We've all been stuck in our heads. Doubting ourselves. Let's prove them wrong. Let's show them what we're made of. :-)

• Like 6

If his surgical record is excellent, you may allow him the honour of performing your transformation surgery.

Make sure you are comfortable and confident with his nurse/staff who will be there for follow up and fills.

He may have miracle hands and a terrible bedside manner, but the day to day is up to you.

Prove him wrong....you can do it!

• Like 6

Thanks guys :)

I can't tell you how down I felt for the rest of the day! I am going to show him just what I am made of! You all rock as always :)

• Like 3

I reckon these surgeons have SO MANY clients visiting them every day who have NO IDEA about the things he mentioned to you.

Try not to take it personally. Rather look at it from the point of view that he's thorough and doesn't like his clients to feel let down after the surgery due to unrealistic expectations?

On a brighter note, was a surgery date booked in?!

• Like 3

Copied from other post with same title.....Just to give a balanced opinion.....I was banded by Ben in November and found him to be nothing but supportive. Yes he did go through all the pro's and cons which I expected and had already researced. I did feel he was young (compared to me - though everybody appears young to me these days, I am 46!!!!!!)

I didn't find any of the attitude with him that you have experienced. What I would say if you are not comfortable with him change surgeon - Steven Sabine is also at that clinic, I have seen him for fills and he is ok too. Hope this helps. BTW this is my opinion only!

• Like 2

There are a lot of great surgeons out there who will be supportive. He could have been having a bad day too, but he should put that aside when he walks in his office door. Have you asked for opinions of your surgeon on here to see if anyone else finds him to be the same way? I'd be seeing if you can find someone who has a greater experience with him - someone who is banded and has had several fills, and see how he treats them at their appts. You need someone who will lift you, not bring you down - this is a huge change. I know my surgeon will tell me off if he needs to but in general, he is positive and supportive. My weight loss has been slow but he hasn't ever criticised me, even if I've only lost a kilo in a month. Mind you, I'm not a long term bandit.

• Like 1

Hamster, I think Steven is only a GP.

I saw Ben around Christmas Eve for a partial deflation as I was feeling quite sick. He is definitely a younger surgeon and a straight talker, but his patients get good results. In some ways I liked Ben more than Paul - I found Paul quite reticent. I didn't have many questions and he didn't have much to say. He is a lovely man, but I'm a chatterbox and was up for a chat. 

Steven Sabine is good for a chat and great for post-op fills! 

• Like 1

You know what, I may have just been looking too far into it. I think it was just the vast difference in manner from Steve to Ben. I am sure it will all be fine :) I was supposed to have Paul however he has broken his ankle and is stuck in NZ.

The last few weeks have been quite confronting and I havent had support from my Mother in law which has been weighing me down. I can honestly say after sleeping on it, I am still just as determined. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Yeah dr sabine is just a gp and only assists with surgeries. He is great though. Krackers let me know if you want to catch up for a coffee again :)

• Like 1

I will mate :) My op is on the 25/2 and I am off for that week. May have to see if we can catch up then.

How are you travelling??

I will mate :) My op is on the 25/2 and I am off for that week. May have to see if we can catch up then.

How are you travelling??

sounds good. :)

I'm good. ive lost 2 of the 6kg i wanted to lose before Easter lol so I have to get back on the exercise wagon and try to get the next 4kg off!

• Like 1

Whoops I appear to have posted in the last post.....suffice to say I was banded by Ben and had NO issues, No issues with my follow up with him.

Have seen Paul and Steve again NO issues......not-so-chubby-nanna think you should give Ben a go (in my opinion!)

I replied to the other thread about this. I still wonder if its just a case of the added workload being the the cause of some temporary stress and am being optimistic that all will be fine.

If I have any problems I will just quietly wait for Dr Anderson to come back, I am the customer :)  

Having said all that, it is a scary thing to be going through.

I attend this surgery too and I have to say that Sabine is fricken awesome, he gives the BEST fills hahahaha!  I was banded by Dr Anderson and whilst I found his bedside manner quite lacking I had very great confidence in his abilities as a surgeon and that's what I needed from him so YAY for Dr Anderson!  I haven't seen Ben so I can't comment.  I'm pretty thick skinned though.

• Like 1

I would prefer a surgeon to be upfront about those sort of things. When I saw the surgeon, it was very much positive with non of the negatives really explained, except for complications of the surgery and lap band.

To be honest, if I could go back in time, I wouldn't get the lap band.