libby83

Artificial Sweetner someone posted this on my FB page

I thought that this needed to be shared with as many people as possible, please read

Sweet KILLER.

"In October of 2001, my sister started getting very sick She had stomach spasms and she was having a hard time getting around. Walking was a major chore. It took everything she had just to get out of bed; she was in so much pain.

By March 2002, she had undergone several tissue and muscle biopsies and was on 24 various prescription medications. The doctors could not determine what was wrong with her. She was in so much pain, and so sick she just knew she was dying.

She put her house, bank accounts, life insurance, etc., in her oldest daughter's name, and made sure that her younger children were to be taken care of.

She also wanted her last hooray, so she planned a trip to Florida (basically in a wheelchair) for March 22nd.

On March 19, I called her to ask how her most recent tests went, and she said they didn't find anything on the test, but they believe she had MS.

I recalled an article a friend of mine e-mailed to me and I asked my sister if she drank diet soda? She told me that she did. As a matter of fact, she was getting ready to crack one open that moment.

I told her not to open it, and to stop drinking the diet soda! I e-mailed her an article my friend, a lawyer, had sent. My sister called me within 32 hours after our phone conversation and told me she had stopped drinking the diet soda AND she could walk! The muscle spasms went away. She said she didn't feel 100% but, she sure felt a lot better.

She told me she was going to her doctor with this article and would call me when she got home.

Well, she called me, and said her doctor was amazed! He is going to call all of his MS patients to find out if they consumed artificial sweeteners of any kind. In a nutshell, she was being poisoned by the Aspartame in the diet soda.. and literally dying a slow and miserable death

When she got to Florida March 22, all she had to take was one pill, and that was a pill for the Aspartame poisoning! She is well on her way to a complete recovery. And she is walking! No wheelchair! This article saved her life.If it says 'SUGAR FREE' on the label; DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!I have spent several days lecturing at the WORLD ENVIRONMENTAL CONFERENCE on 'ASPARTAME,' marketed as'Nutra Sweet,' 'Equal,' and 'Spoonful.'In the keynote address by the EPA, it was announced that in the United States in 2001 there is an epidemic of multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus. It was difficult to determine exactly what toxin was causing this to be rampant. I stood up and said that I was there to lecture on exactly that subject.

I will explain why Aspartame is so dangerous: When the temperature of this sweetener exceeds 86 degrees F, the wood alcohol in ASPARTAME converts to formaldehyde and then to formic acid, which in turn causes metabolic acidosis. Formic acid is the poison found in the sting of fire ants. The methanol toxicity mimics, among other conditions, multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus.

Many people were being diagnosed in error. Although multiple sclerosis is not a death sentence, Methanol toxicity is!

Systemic lupus has become almost as rampant as multiple sclerosis, especially with Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi drinkers.The victim usually does not know that the Aspartame is the culprit. He or she continues its use; irritating the lupus to such a degree that it may become a life-threatening condition. We have seen patients with systemic lupus become asymptotic, once taken off diet sodas.

In cases of those diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, most of the symptoms disappear. We've seen many cases where vision loss returned and hearing loss improved markedly.

This also applies to cases of tinnitus and fibromyalgia. During a lecture, I said, 'If you are using ASPARTAME (Nutra Sweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc) and you suffer from fibromyalgia symptoms, spasms, shooting, pains, numbness in your legs,
Cramps,
Vertigo,
Dizziness,
Headaches,
Tinnitus,
Joint pain,
Unexplainable depression, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, blurred vision, or memory loss you probably have ASPARTAME poisoning!' People were jumping up during the lecture saying,'I have some of these symptoms. Is it reversible?'

Yes!
Yes!
Yes!
STOP drinking diet sodas and be alert for Aspartame on food labels! Many products are fortified with it! This is a serious problem. Dr. Espart (one of my speakers) remarked that so many people seem to be symptomatic for MS and during his recent visit to a hospice; a nurse stated that six of her friends, who were heavy Diet Coke addicts, had all been diagnosed with MS. This is beyond coincidence!

Diet soda is NOT a diet product! It is a chemically altered, multiple SODIUM (salt) and ASPARTAME containing product that actually makes you crave carbohydrates.

It is far more likely to make you GAIN weight!

These products also contain formaldehyde, which stores in the fat cells, particularly in the hips and thighs. Formaldehyde is an absolute toxin and is used primarily to preserve 'tissue specimens.'

Many products we use every day contain this chemical but we SHOULD NOT store it IN our body!

Dr. H. J. Roberts stated in his lectures that once free of the 'diet products' and with no significant increase in exercise; his patients lost an average of 19 pounds over a trial period.Aspartame is especially dangerous for diabetics. We found that some physicians, who believed that they had a patient with retinopathy, in fact, had symptoms caused by Aspartame. The Aspartame drives the blood sugar out of control. Thus diabetics may suffer acute memory loss due to the fact that aspartic acid and phenylalanine are NEUROTOXIC when taken without the other amino acids necessary for a good balance.

Treating diabetes is all about BALANCE.. Especially with diabetics, the Aspartame passes the blood/brain barrier and it then deteriorates the neurons of the brain; causing various levels of brain damage, Seizures, Depression, Manic depression, Panic attacks, Uncontrollable anger and rage.Consumption of Aspartame causes these same symptoms in non-diabetics as well. Documentation and observation also reveal that thousands of children diagnosed with ADD and ADHD have had complete turnarounds in their behavior when these chemicals have been removed from their diet.

So called 'behavior modification prescription drugs' (Ritalin and others) are no longer needed.Truth be told, they were never NEEDED in the first place!Most of these children were being 'poisoned' on a daily basis with the very foods that were 'better for them than sugar.'It is also suspected that the Aspartame in thousands of pallets of diet Coke and diet Pepsi consumed by men and women fighting in the Gulf War, may be partially to blame for the well-known Gulf War Syndrome.

Dr. Roberts warns that it can cause birth defects, i.e. mental retardation, if taken at the time of conception and during early pregnancy. Children are especially at risk for neurological disorders and should NEVER be given artificial sweeteners.

There are many different case histories to relate of children suffering grand mal seizures and other neurological disturbances talking about a plague of neurological diseases directly caused by the use of this deadly poison.'

Herein lies the problem: There were Congressional Hearings when Aspartame was included in 100 different products and strong objection was made concerning its use. Since this initial hearing, there have been two subsequent hearings, and still nothing has been done. The drug and chemical lobbies have very deep pockets.

Sadly, MONSANTO'S patent on Aspartame has EXPIRED! There are now over 5,000 products on the market that contain this deadly chemical and there will be thousands more introduced. Everybody wants a 'piece of the Aspartame pie.'I assure you that MONSANTO, the creator of Aspartame, knows how deadly it is.

And isn't it ironic that MONSANTO funds, among others, the American Diabetes Association, the American Dietetic Association and the Conference of the American College of Physicians?

This has been recently exposed in the New York Times. These [organizations] cannot criticize any additives or convey their link to MONSANTO because they take money from the food industry and are required to endorse their products.Senator Howard Metzenbaum wrote and presented a bill that would require label warnings on products containing Aspartame, especially regarding pregnant women, children and infants.

The bill would also institute independent studies on the known dangers and the problems existing in the general population regarding seizures, changes in brain chemistry, neurological changes and behavioural symptoms.
The bill was killed.It is known that the powerful drug and chemical lobbies are responsible for this, letting loose the hounds of disease and death on an unsuspecting and uninformed public. Well, you're informed now!"

Yes, there are some very creative people on facebook. I wish they'd learn to draw instead.

• Like 2

yep, I use sweetener in my coffee aninstead of sugar, and eventually plan to wean myself off the sweetener too. I have a massive diet coke addiction, which I have beat before..and am now attempting again.

I just don't like plain water unless its 45 degrees, Im dehydrated  and the water is icy cold, so I am currently using diet cordial. Its the lesser of the two evils for me, as it allows me to get the water into my system and not hate it. for many years, the only water I drank was in coffee or diet coke and what was in my food. :unsure:

theres lots of things not good for you, but I think maybe you have to be pre-disposed to certain conditions, and maybe the chemicals in the food we eat just don't help it?

I believe there was a story recently of someone dying because they drank 11 litres of coke a day or something, but if you look in to it, it was a heart attack brought on my the massive amounts of caffeine, not to mention the sugar intake!

One of my goals i work towards is to one day eat completely "clean", no chemicals at all..food in its purest form. I started that journey over a year ago by cutting out wheat, pasta, bread etc. its an ongoing thing, sometimes I slip up but ultimately I have that in my sights, because I know how good it feels when you don't put all that stuff in your system.

• Like 2

Aspartame is made out of fermented wood alcohol (methanol) and e.coli.

That alone should be ringing alarm bells.

Aspartame is now in a host of things such as Mars bars and many other confectionary even if they also contain natural sugar products. Surely a little bit of natural sugar is better for a human body that something concocted in a laboratory.

Personally I do believe it can be very bad for people and I avoid it wherever I can.

• Like 1

I have been able to cut my Diet Coke addiction down from six cans a day to now maybe one depending on the day. I have also cut down sweetners from three to one and soon none. It's a worry isn't it but then again these days EVERYTHING is

Choice (the consumer group) had an article a few months back about artificial sweeteners and how they actually cause people to gain weight. Apparently the reason for this is because the body registers the sweetness of the sweetener and expects the sweet hit....which never comes. Because it was prepared for this sweet hit and did not get it, it the body goes looking for the energy it would have otherwise received and apparently causes you to crave more sweet foods and drinks in order to get what it was expecting. Apparently this can explain some addictions to diet coke or why some people will still feel hungry after having a sweetener laced meal. Some people will also find themselves overeating because the body wants the energy it was expecting.

I have given up altogether or artificial sweeteners. I have cut down on sugar and am looking at other natural sweetners for use in baking and cooking such as natural glucose which the body utilises better.

Very interesting as I was diagnosed with MS two years ago. I used to consume around 4L+ diet soft drink per week. I rarely drink it now as the bubbles hurt my stomach and have had no MS symptoms at all. My fatigue has totally disappeared, as have my shakes and my twitches. My neurologist said he didn't want to see me for 12 months, I was doing so well, all without MS drugs... Could it be because I kicked my diet soft drink habit? Who knows!

• Like 2

I think that the few calories a teaspoon of sugar in my coffee has is not an issue, but I do drink diet drinks and eat non sugar lollies etc that contain artificial sweetener. I don't think in moderation that artificial sweeteners hurt. I guess you have to weigh up the pros and cons, I think drinking the standard coke and downing a lot of fatty food would be many times worse. I think that I've read that most food causes cancer (many scare campaigns over the years, remember the peanut butter cancer scare?) LOL surprised I'm not dead already!!!

• Like 1

I have always known that artificial sweeteners aren't healthy, however, being diabetic and liking soft drink, coffee, and sometimes lollies, I have had to opt for sweeteners as that amount of sugar would probably have killed me!

Having read those articles has refreshed my memory and I'm worried now.

I love my pepsi max or diet lemon squash, etc...

I also bake with sweetener...

I chew a lot of sugarfree gum...

And I have quite a few coffees throughout the day.

That's a lot of artificial sweetener!

But I don't think I can give it up!

If people are using them and they can't notice any side effects then they are probably OK. I wouldn't ever tell anyone to not use them, its a choice like everything else but having information about both sides of a story is always helpful.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Look back to the initial response to this article. It was a link Anna posted to the Snopes website.

Snopes debunks urban myths and  legends that people have come to accept and believe as being true. Whenever you hear a bizarre story - one  that sounds just too crazy for words -  go onto Snopes, type in the key words and more often than not you'll find that the story has been manufactured.

Such is the case with this story...

• Like 3

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Look back to the initial response to this article. It was a link Anna posted to the Snopes website.

Snopes debunks urban myths and  legends that people have come to accept and believe as being true. Whenever you hear a bizarre story - one  that sounds just too crazy for words -  go onto Snopes, type in the key words and more often than not you'll find that the story has been manufactured.

Such is the case with this story...

Snopes is my first check point when I receive many of the commonly forwarded emails.

And sometimes they are actually true :)

^^ I know it was proven a myth, but interestingly I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance recently and the GP from my WLS clinic told me I should avoid things with Fructose in it because it wouldn't help me with my weight loss journey. I've since started having raw sugar in my coffee (I only drink one per day so it's not much), but I do drink one glass of Pepsi Max per day. I want to cut it down to just water, but I'm addicted!

^^ I know it was proven a myth, but interestingly I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance recently and the GP from my WLS clinic told me I should avoid things with Fructose in it because it wouldn't help me with my weight loss journey. I've since started having raw sugar in my coffee (I only drink one per day so it's not much), but I do drink one glass of Pepsi Max per day. I want to cut it down to just water, but I'm addicted!

There is no fructose in aspartame. I follow a low fodmap diet which restricts fructose and various other sugars to manage IBS. Aspartame is a safe food and doesn't trigger any symptoms for me. I'm pretty sure that there are some sweeteners on the market that include fructose though.

I am completely addicted to aspartame (and also salt). I consume massive quantities in my coffee (I use 4 packets in a large latte) and drink pepsi max all day long instead of snacking all day long. I know this is not healthy long-term and plan to stop at some point by gradually withdrawing from using it. For right now, all my mental energy is spent to avoiding high calories foods so I'm not yet ready to move to the next step of eating clean. 

• Like 1

I don't really have a medical opinion to weigh in on. I'm fairly certain aspartame is as bad for you as fat, sugar, carbs, gluten, all the things that out of moderation will have negative impacts on your health. But I would like to weigh in on this as a type 1 diabetic from childhood, who really doesn't have any other options as far as choice is concerned. My options are tea (without sugar or honey), coffee (without sugar or honey) and diet soft drinks or water. Not very exciting as a kid at birthday parties just wanting to be normal.

I've been drinking diet coke and aspartame based products for 22 years, and quite heavily for the last 12. I have heard every rumour under the sun about phenylalanine causing brain tumours, asparatame poisoning and so on. It's exhausting.

As part of my health improvements this year I decided to give up diet coke and chocolate.

Shortly after my sugar withdrawals subsided, the cravings for diet coke did not.

After a month and a half without diet coke, I decided it was something too important for me to give up. Quite simply, it makes me feel accepted socially. I'm not that 'diabetic kid' who can only have water at parties. It used to hurt my feelings when I would go to parties as a kid or a teen for friends I had been mates with for years and they would forget to provide diet drinks for me. I felt alienated and left out.

So now the rules for diet coke consumption are as follows:

Moderation is fine.
We do not have it in the house.

It is a treat.

I think this is the key. I feel sick when I drink too much milk, it doesn't make me lactose intolerant. I get muscle spasms in my fingers and eyes when I'm tired, it doesn't mean I have MS. and so on. and so on.

For me, there is no choice between real sugar and artificial. Simply put, my body will shut down if I consume too much sugar. So diet drinks are a very welcome part of my diet.

But in CONTROLLED MODERATION.

Just like everything else.

Honestly, I couldn't give two hoots about this genetically modified food argument, either. I would eat GM food. If they can use science to make food work harder for my body rather than the other way around, I'm all for it.

I'm all for choices though. If that makes any sense!

I found this video (and the sources it was based on) very interesting regarding artificial sweeteners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf82FfX-wuU

I don't drink or eat artificial sweetners. It is only because though I feel like if I am going to eat sugar, I'll eat real sugar.

I personally think all the fake sugar just gets me used to everything being sweet etc. I used to drink 2-3 cans of diet soft drink a day. Now I don't drink soft drink and I am used to water. If I feel like a "treat" I will have some sugar loaded soft drink instead of cake etc. I just find having less processed sugar, including artificial sugar makes you crave less sugar.

If I eat chocolate today, I will feel like chocolate tomorrow. If I don't eat chocolate today, I won't feel like it tomorrow.

Sugar is an addiction. Artificial sweetness just gets you used to sweet tastes and will make you crave sugar.

This is just based on my personal experiences - not research.

In the US pilots are not allowed to fly if they have had any aspartame within the previous 24 hours because the authorities found that in some people it can cause brain irritation. I am not a soft drink person so it doesn't worry me but I did like diet jelly which I now make with some diluted juice from the little pots of fruit.

I detoxed from artificial sweetener (as well as other things) for a week and although I felt like absolute crap and ended up in bed for two days with a migraine, food tasted better and sweeter for not having anything chemical in it.

However, I will keep having artificial sweetener because for me, it is far better to have a pepsi max than a coke, or sugar free lollies instead of a bag of Allen's snakes.

OK, I am going to weigh in on this one.

There is no credible science that supports the hypothesis that aspartame is bad for you.

Just in case you didn't understand what I just wrote, I will repeat it for you.

THERE IS NO CREDIBLE SCIENCE THAT SUPPORTS THE HYPOTHESIS THAT ASPARTAME IS BAD FOR YOU!

There are a lot of urban myths, unsubstantiated claims and cutesy-pie stories, but there is NO SCIENCE.

I come from a family that suffers (and I really mean suffers) from SLE - Lupus. Three of my 5 siblings have battled it, two of them are still valiantly surviving. I do not have it. My siblings have never used Aspartame. My daughter, nieces and nephews are at a very high risk of developing the disease. No one with any credible qualifications, has ever advised us against the use of Aspartame. I have had every possible test under the sun because it is unusual to have such a high number of siblings with the condition. I even underwent extra testing in order to have WLS, and no one ever mentioned the use of Aspartame - it is a non-issue. I have been using it since I was 18, probably should have got it by now!

I get really annoyed when Dr Internet gets a virus and spreads poison. It is a slap in the face to anyone that suffers from Lupus, MS or any of the myriad of medical conditions that the original post made claims about.

If in doubt about a product, do your homework. Be guided by people who have a scientific knowledge, not by someone who has a computer keyboard and half a brain.

Rant over

Sailorgirl

My motive behind posting the video wasn't endorsing that artificial sweetener is good for you, only that there's no credible studies that prove cancer, insulin resistance or any of the other supposed negative impacts. 

I completely agree with KeepStrong with regard to, if you have something sweet, then you start the cycle of craving more sweet. But given the choice, if I have to have sweet, I'm going to go with the lesser calorie version of sweet.

I just find it interesting that people hear these theories and run with them, without looking for something credible to base upon. See autism and immunisation...however, I'm not going to stir that pot!

But all of our bodies react differently to so many things, you're best to know what works for your body and run with it.

• Like 1