katie_123

Dr Clement Tsang

Hi there,

I am new to these forums and was wondering if anybody could help..

I am going to visit my surgeon on the 6th of March but was wondering if anybody had their lap bands done with Dr Tsang... I originally wanted Dr James Ritchie but he has apparently retired :(

It's amazing to see everybodies results on here, Congrats!

Katie

• Like 1

Hi Katie, 

I met Dr Tsang last month and am being banded by him on 5 March. He was really great at my initial appointment and was able to answer all my questions. 

Good luck with your appointment!

Bee

Hi Bee

Thank you so much for your reply, it has made me feel more reassured :)

I'm having my initial appointment on the 6th March with him so we might become band buddies lol

Take care and good luck!!

Katie

Hi Katie, 

Good luck with your first appointment, I'm pretty much on the countdown now - 5 days to go! The dietician that Dr Tsang works with is great also, I had a LOT of questions for her and she was really patient with me and easy to chat to. 

Take care,

Bee

Hey!

He seems quite well priced too compared to other places..Did u have to do the optifast before your op? I don't think he supplies any of them or books though does he?

How soon after your initial appointment did he book you in for surgery? Is it at St Vincents?

Sorry for all the questions lol..

Katie :)

Hi!

He is really reasonably priced, I was really pleased when he gave me the figures as I'm paying for it myself! Yes, I've had to do Optifast for 2 weeks prior to the surgery so I'm now on day 11 of Optifast. I'll be honest and I've found it really tough (by tough I mean, I'm starving! And I would kill for some carbs or meat!!), but I've made sure that I've been very strict and haven't deviated from what I'm allowed.

My initial appointment with Dr Tsang was on 30 January, and then I met with the dietician on 4 February and booked my surgery for 5 March. He had appointments before the 5th but I couldn't get the time off work so that's why I chose the 5th. The hospital that I'm going to is in Hurstville, I think that's the only place he performs the surgery plus that's where he gets the great rate from.

I don't mind the questions at all! I'm a secret bandit and haven't told anyone else so it's good to come on this site and chat to people.

Bee  

That all sounds really good! I have PHI so luckily it won't cost me too much, i'm thinking of applying for early release of super for the gap as well.. I wish I had that kind of money laying around!

I'm so sick of my weight controlling my life, its definately time to take drastic action!

That's a pretty quick turnaround.. the pre-op optifast sounds horrible, but its good to have the support on here to help get through it!

I hope he operates at another hospital too, Hurstville is a pretty good distance from where I live..

Good luck next week, let me know how it goes, i'd love to chat about it after!

Katie

Thanks Katie! Not long to go now, I just hope tomorrow goes quickly because it's all I'll be thinking about! 

I have PHI but unfortunately I don't have the highest cover so banding isn't covered by it. I considered upping my coverage and waiting the 12 months but I am really ready now so it's Captain Mastercard to the rescue! 

I'm staying in overnight but will let you know how everything goes later on in the week. 

Hi Katie, 

Yes, all went very smoothly! I got back home just after lunch yesterday and spent most of the day napping on and off. I still have some pain in my stomach when I move (mainly getting up and down) but if I'm sitting still or laying down I can't feel a thing. 

I woke up pretty well after the surgery and felt a lot better than I thought I would. I even had one of the nurses say that I didn't look like I had anything done! 

The hospital at Hurstville was great and the nurses were just amazing!

How did your consultation go?

Bee

Hey,

I'm glad it went well and that you're feeling pretty good :) I hope you go alright with the next few weeks!

I'm booked in for the 9th of April!! I'm seeing the dietician (Liz i think?) on the 25th March. I'm pretty excited! It's nice coming on here and getting positive feedback and support.

Good luck in the next few weeks and keep me updated :)

Katie

HI Katie, 

That's so exciting that you're all booked in! The 9th will come around really quickly! I'll definitely keep you updated as to how I'm going. I really liked meeting Liz the dietician, she was really friendly and answered everything I needed to know. 

I guess you'll be starting the optifast stage in a couple of weeks. I actually enjoyed the taste of the chocolate shakes so mainly stuck to those and sometimes would replace it for a bar at lunchtime. 

Good luck!!

Bee

Hey Bee,

How are you feeling now? A few days in, are you happy with everything? I bet you're getting sick of liquids!!

I'm really looking forward to meeting with the dietician, it will be good to get more info on the food stages :)

Hope you're going well!

Hi Katie, 

Things are going well, I went back to work today so it was good to feel "normal" again. Still have some minor pain, but nothing serious. I've been told I can take my bandages off tomorrow so I'm really interested to see what the scars look like. 

I'm doing OK on the liquids so far and have actually found that I'm not that hungry. I quite liked the taste of the chocolate Optifast so I'm sticking with that but also have found some great liquid yoghurt and made some great soups that I saw on this website. 

I'm booking in to see Dr Tsang next week for a follow up after the surgery and will also see the dietician to prepare me for the mushie stage. Cant wait to get through this first few weeks!

Take care, 

Bee

• Like 1

Hey Bee!

How have you been! Time goes so fast, I can't believe you were banded 2 weeks ago(ish) How is the mushies stage going? Are you losing as much weight/more than you thought? (if you dont mind me asking, how much?)

I'm getting excited now, I start optifast on Mon so I guess it will all feel more real then!

Hope you're going good :)

Katie

Hi Katie, 

I'm going really well thanks! I had my check up with Dr Tsang the other day and he is really pleased with how the surgery went and how I'm healing. 

I've been feeling a lot better now that I'm on mushies and the difference in my portion size is amazing!  :) My weight seems to have plateaued this week a little bit (at least it's not going up!) but overall I've lost a total of 12kgs - broken down by 4kgs before optifast, 5 kgs on optifast and 3kgs in the first week after surgery. My starting weight was 114 so I'm now down to 102, so close to 100!! God I can't wait to get below it. 

Good luck on optifast, my only advice to you is that it is ONLY 2 weeks. In the grand scheme of things it's really not a long time and you will absolutely get through it. The first few days are challenging but then you just get used to it. Then the couple of days before your surgery you'll really just be over it. BUT you will get there! 

Your surgery will be here before you know it, please definitely contact me if you have any questions leading up to it.

Take care, 

Bee

• Like 1

Hi Bee,

12kgs is amazing! Congratulations! Have you gotten under 100kg yet? Optifast is going ok, its not nearly as bad as I expected.. I was hungry the first 2 days but now i'm ok, just getting a bit sick of the taste and sweetness! I have the flu at the moment so I am really hoping it is gone by the end of the week or I might need to reschedule which I really don't want to do!! I've lost 3.5kgs so far so i'm stoked!

Where abouts are you from btw? Have you got the support of your family or friends? A little more about me I guess, I live in Sydney with my husband and 1 year old daughter, it's great he's really supportive but he's never known what its like to be overweight so it's hard for him to sympathise so its so helpful having this forum!

I hope you're doing well!!

Katie

Hi Katie, 

How did everything go? Did you still have your op on Tuesday? Sorry I've been absent for a bit, the last few weeks have been a bit of a struggle for me and instead of coming back to this site for support, I've felt like I've kind of gone into hiding. 

I have my first fill on Monday morning and I really can't wait to get back on track. I'm also going to have some on-going sessions with Liz the dietician to get some more support. 

Anyways, before I babble on more about me, let me know how you are and if everything went OK. 

Bee

Hi Bee! 

its great to hear from you I was getting worried!! How are you going now? It is such a mental journey, more so than I ever imagined!

Yea I was banded last Tues, all went well, still a little sore but not too bad! I've been living on soup  and sorbet lol, can't wait for mushies!

Do tell me more about how you are feeling, how are you going on proper food now? Have you had any pb moments? I would love to talk to you about it as im sure a lot of the issues you're having I will go through too!!

Take care and good luck with your fill tomorrow! I'm already so hungry which is a worry :(

Katie xx

Hi Katie, 

My first fill today went OK, it seemed to take her a little while to find it which had me worried a little bit but she found it in the end. Though when I was about to leave she said maybe next time I should get the Dr to take a look because it didn't "feel quite right on the top" - like there could be some scar tissue on top. Other than that (!) it went OK, she gave me a local anaesthetic and you can feel her prodding around but there's no pain at all. 

The last couple of weeks have been a struggle to be honest, but I'm really trying to get back on track now. I felt that as soon as I started eating 'normal' food that my weight loss stopped and that was so frustrating. My portion sizes also got bigger, and I felt that I was hungry all the time, over the past couple of weeks I've put on about 0.6kg - I know that's not a lot but when I was dropping weight so quickly it was so disappointing. So I'm still above that bloody 100kgs!!

I'm hoping now with my first fill in that this will kickstart things again and my mind will be more focused. That's the plan anyway!

I've been really fortunate and haven't had any pb moments and have been able to eat anything without feeling unwell. I had 2mls put in my band and I'll probably give it about 2 weeks before I make the decision if I need any more. I don't want to leave it too long and start eating too much again. 

How have you been going on the liquids? I bet you can't wait for mushies!! I hope all is going well with you, feel free to ask anything! Also, if you want to meet up to chat about things I'd be happy to do that as well... Just let me know - I'm sure there's a way to private message on here somehow?!

Take care,

Bee

• Like 1

Hey Bee, great to hear from you! I'm sorry you've been struggling the last few weeks, I have a feeling I will be similar as I'm already starving on week one of fluids! I'm worried when I can eat food that I'm going to just go crazy! The weight loss has been going well for me too and it will upset me so much to see it stop but we have to remember, we got this band because we suck at dieting and need full in our bands to help us, it's going to be a long journey but we've got a great community (and each other) to help us through! I love food, I'm dreaming about food I'm so bad hahaha!

It's good you haven't had any pb's yet hopefully it stays that way and hopefully your port site is ok! Do you know if dr Tsang put any fill in when he operated on you? I'm hoping he didnt and that's why I'm hungry lol... My left side (I'm assuming the port site) is still sore but I know that's normal :)

Catching up sounds great! I have a (nearly) 1 year old daughter who makes me wonder where the days go but I'm sure we could work something out depending on whereabouts we both live.. Ill suss out and see if there is private msging :)

You are soooooo close to being under 100 it will feel so amazing when you get there! I can't wait to hear when you do :)

Take care!!! X

• Like 1

Hi Bee

Thank you so much for your reply, it has made me feel more reassured :)

I'm having my initial appointment on the 6th March with him so we might become band buddies lol

Take care and good luck!!

Katie

Hi There,

I went to a group conference with Dr Tsang. He seemed very nice. How did your procedure go? Was it very painful? I'm looking at going to the Medico centre.

Cheers,

BJ42