clairendale

March 2013 Looking for others

Hi

I am looking for bandits that have been done in March 2013. Basically for a bit of moral support. Although I have to admit that this whole sight is just wonderful, I am hoping that someone else will be interested in making the journey a little easier.

Claire

• Like 2

Hi Claire, I had my surgery on the 12th of March. Still recovering but pretty much pain free today so that's good. I started at 116.6kg pre-optifast, and this morning I weighed 109.6kg so 7kg lost in just under 3weeks which I'm pretty happy with. When was your surgery and how are you doing so far?

Stace

Hello, I am booked for the 25th of march at the avenue (Professor Paul O'brien) :) I was told by my surgeon i didnt need to take optifast but i want to try it out, so from tomorrow i will take it for 1 week. I am so excited and hope this works for me :) Also i am so happy to have found this website and hoping to make some Band friends :)

Hi Stace

I was operated on on 12th March too but I am far from pain free. I am still walking around quite stooped - I guess my subconcious is worried about busting stitches etc.!! As I was banded so quickly I did not have time to go on the optifast but I have lost 4 kgs so far and am very happy with that. Where did you get your's done? Mine was done in Hobart by Dr Pat. He is a wonderful and so easy to talk to. I have type2 Diabeties and he assures me that I will not have it for very much longer. My blood sugars are down to 6's already and I have halved my meds.

By the way where are you living? I am just outside Ulverstone in the North West.

Claire

Hi there - i was banded on march 13 so im only new at this ! I had a real struggle yesterday ( vomiting etc) im feeling a little better today but im wondering if any other newbies have had this problem so early on??

Sorry Claire I didn't realise initially that this is a Tasmania thread, I came across it in the new content section. I'm from Collie, WA and was banded by Dr Dolan in Perth. I have read a lot that recovery is different for everyone and because I did get to do the optifast phase that could be why I'm feeling good already because my liver would have had time to shrink to make the banding process a bit easier for the surgeon. I read that people that don't do or get to do optifast first take a bit longer to recover but I'm sure you'll be fine in a couple of days. LighterMe1975, I haven't had any vomiting but I've heard it is normal but excess vomiting you should just call your surgeon and check, anything you feel unsure about it's worth asking about to set your mind at ease. Also the nurse told me if I was vomiting or feeling queasy to go see my gp for some anti-nausea tablets.

• Like 1

Hi Stace

I understand that recovery is very different for different people. I was just hoping to be so much better by one week in! (Would like to be 10 ft tall and bulletproof!!)Thanks for the tip re anti-nausea tablets - I have been using them in the last couple of days and makes me feel heaps better. The scales have made me feel much better too with a weight loss of 5 kgs since being banded - YEAH!!

LighterMe1975: I haven't had the vomiting but definitely the nausea. 

Remember to take some BEFORE photos of yourself in your undies - My sister tells me that these are invaluable when you hit a "bump" like not loosing for a week and you can really see how far you have come.

Keep up the good work folks 

Claire 

Hi Claire,

I was banded on the 18th of march, from north west too.

How are you feeling? How are you going? I'm feeling good :)

no problem a part from my wounds don't seem to be knitting together

How are yours?

Mel

Hi Mel,

How are things going? Great to meet a fellow NWer, where do you live - I am in Ulverstone? Who did your surgery and where? I am under Dr Tony Pat. and he is just soooo wonderful. My initial week post op was pretty tiring and sore but I am 10 days out now and feel great. Re - your wound sites  everyone heals at a different pace. My sites have scabbed over now that they are exposed but I know they will take a while to be just lines on my skin, especially since I am still "officially" a diabetic although Dr Tony has assures me that I will be rid of this disease 6-8 weeks post-op! Talk about killing 2 birds with one stone!

I know one thing I am dying for a plate of veggies even if they are mushied up!! This liquid phase is hard. Although last night I used this site to get a recipe for curried sweet-potato soup and it was honestly the best soup I have EVER tasted. It actually gave me the resolve to see out the 14 days of liquids. Roll on Tuesday!

Look forward to hearing more about you and maybe we could meet for a coffee some time?

Claire

• Like 1

Hi LighterMe1975

Just wondered how you were going? Has the vomiting stopped? How are you going with the liquid phase of your new life? Gosh I am sooo very grateful for this site for it's recipes, tips and general encouragement. Where were you banded? How much weight have you lost this last week? I am wrapped with the 5 kgs I have dropped.

Keep up the good work

Claire 

Hey Claire,

I'm from Burnie, so great to hear u are doing so well :) im under Dr pat too he is simply fantastic!!!! I have to admit I'm feeling fantastic, haven't felt sick, or any pain while eating, I moved to the soup stage straight away ;) I've just thinned it down with some cream (not much) I made some awesome Thai pumpkin soup yesterday. for me I miss bread, only because I know I can't have it ;) my sites are looking heaps better now :) once those patches over the top came off and they got some air :) I haven't had any pain killers now for a couple of days either, I just feel AWESOME :)

As for coffee I would like that!

Mel

Hey Mel

How great that you are so close and your under Dr Pat too. 

I am feeling much better this week too I think it must have been the anaesthetic that was still in my system the week before. Have  you tried the recipe for Curried Sweet Potato Soup - it is just great. Found it here on the post -op recipes site. I too am missing the bread especially when I went to buy Hot Cross Buns!!!Must admit though I am really looking forward to some solid food.

As I don't know your circumstances - ie age, kids at home, transport etc. It is a little more difficult to arrange coffee but if you name the time and place I will try and fit in with you. My schedule is very flexible!

Claire

Hi girls really love reading everyone's progress I saw dr Pationitis last week, he is great, just going to find out costs etc then ill prob have surgery in the coming months! Keep up the great work xx

• Like 1

Hi Folks

Just a little update from Ulverstone. I went to see Dr Pat on Thursday and had my first "fill" 3mls. We are both pleased that I have lost 6.5kg in 31/2 weeks. After the fill I could not keep anything down for a couple of days but seem to have come right today. The trick seems to be to have a 1/2 cup of tea (or coffee) about 1/2 hr before having a meal. Sounds weird but it worked. Other than that I'm going great guns!!!

• Like 1

Hello

I am in Hobart and was banded on 26th March by Dr Pat. I'm travelling well and looking forward to finding out that I dont have type2 diabetes in the very near future. My swollen ankles look like they have gone forever so that is my first health issue ticked off. I have lost 12 kgs (from 149kg) in just under 3 weeks so I am already feeling a little bit clever. I do feel a pulling sensation near my port at times, has anyone else felt that? I have been taking centrum multivitamins (crushed - yuk) what is your experience with tablets and capsules after being banded?

Karen

Hello

I am in Hobart and was banded on 26th March by Dr Pat. I'm travelling well and looking forward to finding out that I dont have type2 diabetes in the very near future. My swollen ankles look like they have gone forever so that is my first health issue ticked off. I have lost 12 kgs (from 149kg) in just under 3 weeks so I am already feeling a little bit clever. I do feel a pulling sensation near my port at times, has anyone else felt that? I have been taking centrum multivitamins (crushed - yuk) what is your experience with tablets and capsules after being banded?

Karen

Karen I had the port pulling feeling

I'm almost 6 weeks post op and that feeling went away with my first fill (not sure if its related)

It is normal - just take care to not over do things too soon

My biggest worry is that my port will flip

• Like 1

Hi Karen

I too am looking forward to getting rid of the Type 2 Diabetes although I think it is going to take a little more than a month for it to go!! Having said that I have halved my tablets to only 2 Diabex per day!! Yes the banding process does seem to get rid of quite a few health issues. My sleep apnoea seems to have disappeared. As for the multi-vits may I suggest Swisse Ultivite + Energy which are a effervescent tablet - much easier to get down!! I have not had any problems with the port and have healed well. Am now looking forward to my second fill as I seem to have come to a bit of a standstill on the loosing scale. 

Keep up the good work

Regards

Claire 

Clairendale I'm also from Ulverstone let me know if u need an exercise buddy at all. I was banded in sept 12 by Tony and have lost just under 30kg . Anyway let me know if u need a buddy :)

my name is steph, and i had this procedure done yesterday. had dr patiniotis as my surgeon. i am in a lot of pain and im having trouble getting comfortable now that i am home. pain killers and heat packs jut don seem to be doing much. please tell me it gets better!

Hi Steph

Yes I can assure you that things do get better! It took me about 2 weeks before I started to feel comfortable. Just remember that your body has been through major trauma in the form of an operation and it takes time for that to work out of the system. Just keep doing what you are doing and listen to your body.

It has now been 6 weeks for me and I have lost 8 kg and feel really good.

Claire

tony is fantastic, i bombarded him with questions beforehand and im still doing so. he tells you what you need to hear and is always n stand by. cannot recommend him enough.

Think I'm just going to do it! Does anyone know costs if needing to be reversed? I emailed tony but never got a response. My op will be July at this stage