Sign in to follow this  
rnrjay

New to banding - Dr Treacy

I am new to the idea of this. I live in Katherine and have an appointment to see Dr Treacy when he next consults down here on 22nd April to discuss lap banding. I am 153cm and weight 106kg so know I fit the morbid obese category. I have attempted many different diets over the last 10 years and have been successful with small weight losses 5kg here and there. Yesterday I saw my GP and I talked to him about my weight loss (I was following a diet and exercise plan that he devised for me in Jan and have only lost 1.5kgs!), so he wrote my referral there and then on the spot. I do have private health cover with Medibank private.

Can someone please tell me what I can expect when I see Dr Treacy? What will be discussed, what are the steps after the first visit? How long from first visit to surgery?

Thanks

Hi rnrjay,

I don't know how it might be for you there, or if you are going private or public, but here's what happened for me (I'm in Tassie).

I met with the surgeon and came prepared with some questions - mostly about the procedure itself.  He spoke about the procedure and what to expect after the operation and for the first few weeks after that.  He said that with the adjustment fills, I should expect to lose between 1/2 - 1 kilo a week, and that I should be able to get to my goal weight within the year.

There was no pressure to have the procedure...this was just an information session.  But I did decide to go ahead with it during that meeting, and we booked a time for me to have the procedure.  I have private cover and was able to have the procedure done at my convenience.  I chose to have it done 3 weeks after that appointment.

He gave me some more information to take home and read and said that I could contact him at any point if I had any further questions.  He also told me what the fees would be and that I would be contacted by the hospital and the anesthetist to meet with them prior to the procedure.  I had the pre-admission meeting at the hospital about 10 days before the operation, and then met the anesthetist a week before.

I didn't have to go on a liquid/Optifast diet before the operation as my surgeon said it wasn't necessary.  Other surgeons do recommend it.  I think generally the liquid diet is started 2 weeks before surgery.

Don't know if that helps or not! :)  Good luck!

Dr Tracey is fantastic!

Can seem a bit dry at first - but he is actually quite funny!!!  100% happy with my surgery and aftercare. 30% of his patients are remote so he's very good and experienced when it comes to that.

His receptionist - i can't remember her name at the moment - is also lovely, can sometimes seem a bit short but that's only because she's so busy!!!

I know a couple other people in Darwin who've had surgery with him - mixed results if you're ever up here n want to catch up.

Would you be coming to Darwin for surgery or does he do it down there?

Thanks for your advise, I now have a few more questions:

How soon after seeing dr Treacy would the surgery be - eg how long is his waiting list? Surgery will be at DPH.

Approximately how much would i be out of pocket, I have top private health cover ?

Does anyone know how much the anaesthetist charges out of pocket?

How much does dr Treacy charge for appointments after surgery? Apparently I can get these done in Katherine!

Thanks in advance, I am getting more excited as i read more information!

Rachel

Hi rnrjay,
I had my op with Dr Treacy Jan 30 this year.
I first saw him sometime May/June last year.

He asks you a few questions, like what have you tried in the past, like diets and stuff
and asks family history and medical conditions etc. He will give u the run down on how the band works
and what he expects it do for you. Also, he will give you some paper work to take home and read and also
it gives you some time to think if its something you actually want to get.
He will work out a goal weight and a realistic time frame.
That also depends if you are going to exercise or not too. Some people dont at all.
I have joined the gym last week, just so I can be healthy and tone up and stuff. I do an hour of cardio and 30 mins of light weights.
Dr Tracey chose my goal weight as 72kg, but for me, I want my goal weight as  67kg.
I havent been that weight since i was 15 and i am now 29. And im only 159cm.
The gym will help me get there faster. As Dr Traceys time line for me was to get to 72kg in a year lol.
Um yeah right. Im only 6kg from that lol. So yeah the gym is a big bonus. You are burning alot less than what
you would have eaten pre op.

Normally its like a month before you see him again. Then you will know for sure if you want it. Read over the paper work and highlight with a marker anything you dont understand or want to know more about. That's what I did.

In the 2nd visit you can pretty much book in for your op then if you wanted to.
I waited a while before my op because I wanted to enjoy my last Xmas with food lol so i decided I wanted to get mine in the new year. Plus if you have a hospital excess (like I do) once you pay it for the year, you can go back (heaven forbid) and not pay again. So if you ever need to go to hospital and stay at private, for ANY medical issue, and you have an excess, if you pay it once, you are covered for the whole calendar year (Jan-dec).
My excess is $500, and you pay that on the day of your op when you rock up at the admin area.

You will need to do a detox program first a month before it. The dietician will sort you out. It will be opti slim or kickstart. I was on kickstart and the shakes were pretty delicious. I was quite surprised. 
Some people only do 2-3 weeks of it, I did exactly 4 weeks, as It was going to benefit me in the long run and I lost 7kg in that month alone.

I paid up all up out of pocket around $3500-$4000 (I cant remember now) and I have top cover with Bupa.
My friend also had lap band with Dr Tracey and she is with medibank private.
All up she was out of pocket for the anesthetist only $180 I think, not much at all. Whereas I was out of pocket $300.
It also depends how long you are under for, but her and mine was the same bill cost but her insurer covered her more than mine.
You have an xray (cant remember the exact name, something swallow), a day after your op. They send the bill to you like a month later and thats about $220 and Medicare pay about half when you take the receipt in.

He does get fairly booked out with ops, but When i seen him one time, he had several spots the next month.
So if you decided on your second visit you wanted it, you could pretty much have the surgery like literally 4+ weeks later. As long as you do your detox and all your paper work etc and have the money for all the upfront costs. Oh and its also depending on where you are getting it done. Im guessing you are getting it done in Darwin?

After your 2 night stay in hospital, you wont see Dr Tracey until a month later. If all goes well you will get your first fill (adjustment) then.
This is around $127 or something close and medicare pay $88, so your all good there.
That's how much adjustments are all the time. So pretty cheap :-)
My first fill I had 5 mil put in exactly a month after my op, then 4 weeks after that (which was thursday just gone) I had 2.5 more mil put in.
You gradually work you way up in stages, and on 4 week stages, until you are happy.
5 mil didn't do much for me and I lost 1kg from the date of my very first adjustment to my 2nd one. So a whole month and only 1kg.
That is completely normal. For me, I could eat all the same foods as If i didnt have a band in at all. I felt a tiny bit restricted, but couldnt wait to get more mil in. Now that I have 7.5 mil in, I feel a lil bit more restricted, but again, i think I need more in as I am not getting as full as I would like and Im doing all the right things, slow eating, water etc.

Through-out the journey you will learn more. My friend got hers done 6 weeks before me, so i was using her as my guniea pig lol. But luckily for forums like this. There are so many people with so much good advice and I only joined just after my op.

I hope this has helped somewhat.
Happy Easter :-)

Amanda

Saw Dr Treacy today, need to see dietician - Richard Sager then see Dr Treacy next month when he is back in Katherine and book in for the surgery which won't be until August as Dr Treacy is on sick leave for all of June and July. So excited!!!

I'm going slowly. Had one fill of 6ml but it hasn't done anything. I can still eat and drink what I want just slower. Haven't lost any weight since my surgery on the scales but have definitely lost cms and my neck is skinnier! Dr Treacy is fantastic and I would highly recommend him!