Kalalan

It all starts in May 2013

Feeling so stupid right now... had a bit of a night out with the girls, didn't drink too much but they wanted kebabs on the way home.. got home and started eating and totally forgot I had a band!!! Wolfed most of it down before remembering..  unfortunately, this happens more than I care to admit.. I try to concentrate but sometimes find myself distracted or zoning out and not waiting a minute between bites, but don't realise until I'm 1/2 way done with my meal..To date, I haven't felt 'stuck' or PB'd and I am wondering if it's because I only have about 3.5-4.5mls in a 14mls band... Just getting frustrated because I have not lost anything in about 1.5 weeks and I am starting to worry that I will fail at the band, the same way I've failed at every other weight loss attempt.. Arrghhh.. sorry for the semi-tipsy rambling :/

Feeling so stupid right now... had a bit of a night out with the girls, didn't drink too much but they wanted kebabs on the way home.. got home and started eating and totally forgot I had a band!!! Wolfed most of it down before remembering..  unfortunately, this happens more than I care to admit.. I try to concentrate but sometimes find myself distracted or zoning out and not waiting a minute between bites, but don't realise until I'm 1/2 way done with my meal..To date, I haven't felt 'stuck' or PB'd and I am wondering if it's because I only have about 3.5-4.5mls in a 14mls band... Just getting frustrated because I have not lost anything in about 1.5 weeks and I am starting to worry that I will fail at the band, the same way I've failed at every other weight loss attempt.. Arrghhh.. sorry for the semi-tipsy rambling :/

My initial rapid weight loss has also slowed and like you I haven't had a stuck or PB and rarely feel any restriction when eating.

From what I gather once we get closer to the green zone it will become more difficult to overeat or speed eat.

thanks debounce, makes me feel a bit better knowing its not just me :)

Hi Everyone

Its been a while since Ive posted here.

So things are not going exactly as I planned. Like MallyMelbs mentioned above Im struggling with remembering at times I have the band and find myself eating 2 fast and 2 much. the problem is I still dont really have any restriction so nothing gets stuck. I can pretty much eat whatever i want at the moment and it just goes down. As a result I have lost NOTHING in the last month!!!!!!! To say Im dissapointed in myself would be an understatement. I know it takes time to find the green zone but still........ I feel like Ive been through all this and once again Im failing.

I am going back to the doctor tomorrow for another fill. Ill have a talk to him and find out if this is something thats pretty normal or if its me stuffing up once again.

I had wanted to hit to 20kg lost mark by my birthday (which was yesterday). That goal didnt happen and Im so over failing goals. I had thought that getting back into the gym would help to kick start the weight loss again but even that hasnt worked!!

Why cant the weight come off as easily as it goes on!!!!!!!! Grrrrrr stupid body and stupid hormones!! (OK - thats my little rant over for the morning)

Hi Guys,

So apparently I am in the green zone, I kinda thought I was but I went and saw my surgeon today and he was really surprised that I had lost 8kg since I saw him four weeks ago, he had told me I should try and lose 4kg but 2kg would be fine too, so when I came back with 8kg down he couldn't believe it and said that I am in the green zone and so I didn't get a fill!

I must admit  I am pretty surprised by the loss because I don't feel like I worked really hard to get it, I hadn't exercised until last week, I have had little bits of crap here and there and I eat more than 3 times each day.

Maybe my plan to be a moderate person is working, for example if my son has McDonalds or some other crap I might have a bite of his burger and a couple of fries but that is it and I have realised that those things don't actually taste that good anyway, I think they smell better than they taste.

There is something that has been concerning me with the WLS community here and on youtube, it seems to me that there are a lot of people who think that having the right level of restriction means PBing or getting stuck all the time. As far as I know, if you are adjusted correctly you should not be PBing and if you are it is because you are overfilled or because you are not following the rules and chewing well, waiting one minute between swallows etc.

If I eat too fast I can usually feel it going down but in general if I chew properly and follow the rules I can eat anything in small amounts. I am not claiming to be an expert by any means but it worries me that there are a lot of people out there that are suffering and struggling when they don't need to be.

I am still struggling with head hunger and often give in to it but am making better choices than I did pre band, I also feel really lucky with how I am going so far but also scared that it is just beginners luck and I will stop losing soon, the Dr did say that I shouldn't expect to have such big losses as I did this time all the time.

I will be eight weeks post op on Thursday and have lost 19kg, I can't wait to crack 20kg!

Malley I'm so sorry I stuffed up and got lost today, I was really looking forward to catching up! When do you see the surgeon again, it sounds like you could really use another fill, I think I am really lucky to be in the green zone after two fills so I hope your next one works out well for you too.

Kalalan that is such a bummer, hopefully this visit with the Dr will help.

It really is a journey isn't it gals, it's bloody tough but I do not regret it one bit because I know I couldn't have done this without the band, it really is a fab tool.

Love to you all

xxxxxx

Lindy

• Like 1

Congratulations Lindy - That is soooooo very awesome!!!! Your weight loss is fantastic and you seem to be back into a pretty good place at the moment. :)

My doctor talked to me last time I saw him about the amount of fill and restriction someone needs and he stressed with me that there should be no need to be PBing. He said if you follow the rules and the band is set right there should be no problems. I guess every surgeon and person is different and finding the right tightness for everyone is hard. I know at the moment I have never had a stuck moment. I was a bit uncomfortable the other night but that was my fault for eating far 2 much when I went out for my brithday tea!!!! On the upside the meal was fantastic - downside Im not sure it was worth the sore tummy afterwards!!!!

I so cant wait for more fill tonight. I badly want to find the green zone and start to see some changes on the scales. I just need to get my head back in the right spot!

• Like 1

How did you go Kalalan?

Lindy- I have an appt tomorrow morning so will let you know how it goes afterwards... No worries about getting lost.. happens to all of us at one time or another!! Add in the bloody Melbourne traffic and it's a wonder anyone gets anywhere! haha

In other news.. went clothes shopping yesterday as pre band I had just about grown too big to fit into City Chic clothes but 2 weeks ago had put on 2 city chic XL dresses and they were a tad loose on me so I went to the outlet by my house and grabbed pretty much everything I could and went to the dressing room and.. NOTHING FIT! I haven't gained back any of the weight I lost but was just disappointed.. did walk away with 3 dresses that I'll be able to fit into in about 5kgs but yeah, wasn't the happy experience I thought it was going to be! lol alll good though, just motivates me more :)

I got another ml last night - takes me to 7ml in a 12 ml band.

Feeling pretty good this morning- not hungry and I was happy with just a samll bowl of soup for tea last night!!! hope it stays like that!!

Anyway things are not as bad as I thought it was!!!! Its that normal story of always being harder on yourself than anyone else. While I havent lost anything (or at least only 200g but it didnt go up so thats a positive :) ) on the scales in the last two weeks the doctor measured me and Iv lost several CM from my waist!! YIPEEE!!  The Dr was actually happy with that!! Ive been training with a PT 4 nights a week over the last couple of weeks so he thinks my body is just toning at the moment. He was so reassuring and told me to not be concerned - that is was still good results and the scales will start to reflect it once my body adjusts the the additional exercise Im doing!!!

Just goes to show how quick I am to assume Im doing something wrong and its not going to work - I need to put a reminder up in my house to stop being so hard on myself and that I AM working with the band and it IS going to work!!!

Mally - Its great you are going to use the shopping trip as motivation - dont let it get you down. I know how upsetting it is to not find anything that fits in shops - especially the plus size shops!!! Just think how FANTASTIC you are going to feel very soon when it will all fit. And then when its normal clothes shops that things fit!! Thats one of the big goals for me - to fit into 'regular' sized clothes.

I know there are other threads on the this but...... Id like to know from the other bandits at the same point as me in their journey - what are the things you are looking forward to. Ive already mentioned the clothes fitting but I also cannot wait until I can fit comfortably in a plane seat, wear calf length boots, go for a walk with friends without feeling embarrassed becuase I cant keep up or end up bright red!!! Thats just a few for now - Im sure there are plenty of other things out there that can help to motivate and stay on the right track!!

im currently sitting in the CBS waiting room where ironically the chairs are not very accomodating to larger people, thinking how nice it will be to not worry if i will fit and/or break a chair! 

• Like 1

im currently sitting in the CBS waiting room where ironically the chairs are not very accomodating to larger people, thinking how nice it will be to not worry if i will fit and/or break a chair! 

I soooooo understand that one!! Its one of my biggest fears that I will break a chair in public!!!!!

• Like 1

My 7year old wraps his arms around me and said " I can reach all the way now mum" .......non scale victory

• Like 2

im currently sitting in the CBS waiting room where ironically the chairs are not very accommodating to larger people, thinking how nice it will be to not worry if i will fit and/or break a chair! 

Interesting, I noticed that when I went there!

Wow Lindy, what a great weightloss!!!! I'm 6 weeks post-op this Fri and so far have only lost 9.4kg... I'm eating and drinking loads less than pre-band days, the weight should be falling off me... But it's not!!

Sounds like everyone is doing well. Well done on the loss of cm Kalalan, maybe I should re-take my measurements too as not really loosing on the scales.

Sayng that am feeling really well and positive, just wish the results were faster lol!! I had my first fill of 4cc last week, and have brought my next fill forward to Monday...... So hopefully will start to see some change. Out of curiosity, many of the American bandits really focus on their amount of daily protein... Is that what you guys are doing too?

My NSV would be that I can take my work pants off without having to undo the button and zip first! X

Out of curiosity, many of the American bandits really focus on their amount of daily protein... Is that what you guys are doing too?

It's funny you mention that, because I'm American and I've been stressing over the fact that I know I'm not getting enough protein in! I mentioned it to my Dr at my appt today and he kinda shrugged it off.. I am going to go on the 21 day Sugar Detox starting July 1st (actually going to do it for the whole month) and I'm hoping that will help me shift my food intake from being mostly carb to mostly protein! Anyone else wanna join in?? I'm gonna need all the help and support I can get because NO DAIRY is allowed and I am really big on my Greek yogurt and fancy cheeses :P

I'm in struggle town :( I've had my first fill... but can eat pretty much anything........ & am hungry a lot.. (not as much as prior to banding) but ... a lot more than I feel i should be.

I promised myself i would crack down and try my hardest but I am easily going off track :( yesterday i ate sausage rolls, pies, chocolate. all the things that lead me to needing a band and im still eating them!!!!!!!  Don't know what to do!!!!!!!!!

Try and make an appointment with your Dr... luckily my surgeon wants to see me every 1 to 2 weeks until I'm in the green. Regardless of when your doctor told you to come back, if you feel like you are struggling- CALL THEM! Having a lapband is like learning to walk... it'll be a little clumsy at first and you will fall down a few times but with help, you will get there and before you know it, you'll be running!

• Like 2

Wow - Its two months today since my operation and I feel fantastic!!!!!! The last fill has made a big difference!

Ive now lost 18kgs and starting to notice the difference. I went out on Saturday night and as I went through my wardrobe things were fitting that I havent worn in a very long time. Im even having to get rid of some things becuase they are starting to get overly baggy and look terrible!!!

Its been such an up and down journey over the last few months. From the opti stage that I though was never going to end to now when I'm starting to adjust to my new way of life. For eveyone still stuggling with finding the right fill level or just adjusting to having the band - it does get better. The last month has been very difficult for me and I am only just starting to find my feet again. The biggest difference for me was going back to the clinic and letting them know I was struggling. The support was what I needed to realise that the feelings I were having were normal and not something that made me a failure. I realise that Im still going to have good and bad days but at the moment I see light at the end of the very long and dark tunnel I was in.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone,

Kalalan I'm happy for you that things are going well and 18kg is a brilliant loss!

It is bloody hard sometimes, I really struggle with the emotional/bored eating, I'm fine during the day but at night time all I can think about is food but I am still making better choices than I would have pre band.

I started running two weeks ago and since then I have not lost any weight at all, I have been going up and down but have not been below 123.3 where as a couple of weeks ago I actually saw 127.9. It's very frustrating and people say that I am probably building muscle but is that actually true, does anyone know?

I am feeling pretty happy with the way my body is changing and I have seen a couple of people that hadn't seen me since the op and they have said they can't believe how much I have changed, so that's really good.

I thought I would have gone down further in clothes sizes but am still a size 20, I did actually try on some size 20 jeans from the non plus sized section of Target and they fit but I had a big muffin top so there is no way I would wear them!

I also have a pair of size 20 City Chic skinny jeans and they are HUGE, there is no way I could wear them, sizes in this country are weird!

I noticed the other day that when I was walking along the street I could feel my body flopping around a bit, like everything is looser now, I guess when I was really fat everything was kind of tight and stretched to it's limits but is now loose and jiggly!

Last visit my surgeon said I was in the green zone but now I'm not sure, I think maybe I do need a small fill, I am going back in three weeks so I guess if I still haven't lost any weight he will give me a fill.

If anyone has any info regarding muscle building and not losing weight I would love to hear about it.

Lindy xxxx

• Like 1

Do a google on "muscle v fat"

Kg for Kg the muscle is much smaller than fat.

• Like 1

Oh so close to the Green Zone!!!!! I had an appoitnment with the dietician last night and when he weighed me I had lost 2.1kgs in 10 days!!!! Woo Hoo!!! So much better than the 200g in the previous two weeks!!!!! :)

Im still getting hungry and wanting small snacks between meals so he has recommended that I would benefit from a small fill at my next appointment with the GP who does our fills. He said normally with that weight loss I wouldnt get any more fill but he thinks just a small amount more will just make it that bit easier to control portion sizes and control hunger. Obviously it will still be the GPs decision but its nice having the support of the dietician as well!! Im seeing the GP next Thursday so fingers crossed for another good result on the scales!!!

The dietician is wanting me to focus on counting carbs - not calories. Because I have PCOS and am insulin resistant he wants me to limit carbs to 3-4 15g serves a day. He gave me a great guide as to what a serve of carbs looks like and ideas to increase protein. While some of this is information I have been over countless times with other dieticians I find that the guideance I am being given is actually achievable and realistic.

Im loving my band at the moment!!!! Hope everyone else is finding their way!!!

• Like 2

Yeah ditto with the green zone... I think .5 or 1 more mil might do it... I feel like I am eating too much at meal times but I am trying to listen to my body and I do stop before I get that really full feeling... Almost at the point where I'm not thinking about food between meals.. went out to dinner with a big group of people the other night and ordered some tuna steak special which was a perfect bandit size! For the first few seconds I was disappointed that my meal was so small but then I remembered, well can't eat a big serve anyway... But I did feel bad for the others at my table that ordered the same dish haha... and I was the only person to not order dessert which I was pretty proud of myself for...don't get me wrong, I wanted dessert badly but in a head hunger way, not physical hunger... baby steps but I'm getting there! I am loving my band too Kalalan ;)

• Like 1

Hi all!

Hope everyone is well, and had a great weekend!  I had my second fill today, now have 5 mls in a 10ml band.  Cant wait to see what kind of difference it makes. 

Quick question... what do you guys do, diet wise post fill?  The surgeon said nothing after my first fill, and today the physician said nothing (re sticking to fluids or mushies for a certain amount of time).  I have have only had a drinking yoghurt since the fill, and will have soup for dinner... but just curious what other Dr's say.

Congratulations to everyone having awesome losses!  I think we have been pretty lucky this month with regards to nil complications (SO FAR TOUCH WOOD!)

Rach

Just had my second fill, another 1ml.

Nothing regarding a diet or on fluids after the fill.

I was under the impression you were permitted to eat whatever you can/want after a fill.

Some have claimed they can't eat anything solid for a day or two, others appear not to have any issues.

It would depend how close you are to the green zone.

Hi,

Congratulations everyone with you weight loses, great results!

Having my 3rd fill this Thursday and looking forward to getting more restriction.

I’ve always been told by the Prof. and other Doctors to stay on fluids for the rest of the day and take it slowly the following day (basically mashies if feeling too restricted).

I’m currently maintaining weight and not losing and got so desperate that even thinking of going back to Optifast for one meal per day but I know in the long run it’s not sustainable.

Can’t wait until Thursday, I getting another fill and then taking hubby out for our 25th Anniversary of “going out†together (he doesn’t remember but I love celebrating and surprising him and this time no food involved … LOL  … fluids only) ;)

Take Care

Joanna

Hi All,

I had my third fill today, I have 5mls in my 10ml band. I had actually gained 1.8kg in the past three weeks, so so disappointed, I know I have been consuming too many calories just snacking constantly and not stopping when I am satisfied. I feel like I lost all that initial weight and kind of gave up and let myself get away with too much. It's so confusing because this is not supposed to be a diet but it really is, until we get to maintenance we are dieting. I thought going into this that I would just eat normally just smaller portions and that would do it and I suppose it would if I would just stick to three meals a day, I really need to stop all the snacking, it's just eating out of boredom and habit, I know that eventually I will beat this but it is hard going, any suggestions or tips from anyone going through the same thing would be really appreciated.

The doctor I saw today was really nice and positive and she said down the track I will look back at this period of time and it will be just a blip in the whole journey, I really hope so, I'm so scared it will end here because I have lost that initial motivation. 

Having said all that I am definitely still making better choices than pre band!

Sigh, I just have to keep on plugging away!