Notlongnow

Weetbix....no no no no no

This morning I commenced the mushy stage and thought id try with weetbix.

What a big mistake, 3 teaspoons in and I thought I was going to die (drama queen). My face was burning, saliva was running out my mouth (tmi) and I was desperately trying to burp .....is it safe to say I had my first PB....that will not be happening again! I'm now worried I won't be able to eat again as my first attempt with food was a total flop!

Can I Ask was it really milky ?? I don't know why you had a problem ,may be the time in between mouthfuls ? Sorry you did not have agood experience with your first bit of food.. Trial and error I'm afraid until you find what works for you ... All the best

i use half a cup of milk with one weetbix and then microwave it so it goes runnier and thin, don't know whether that would help you!!

• Like 1

It also pays to try the first few mouthfuls of any new food only after flushing out your band with a drink - I either have a cup of tea or glass of warm water, or if it is a hot day I will have a good drink of cold water before eating anything.  I am also learning that it is no use trying to swallow solid food if I am all wound up about something - I wait till I am relaxed.

Things are still healing down there,  and probably a bit swollen still , and that plus any backlog of saliva accumulated above the band can gum you up quick as anything.

With something like weetbix I would turn it almost into a slurry and let it sit for a bit to allow for the fibres to absorb the milk well first. Start out with sips a minute apart at first.

As they say....Make haste slowly.  You will eventually be eating small meals and enjoying the taste of lots of lovely fresh food.  The world of tasty food will not disappear while you are in this transition stage, and you are not really depriving yourself, just delaying how long before you get to eat more variety and more solid food :)

• Like 2

Try using a teaspoon or a dessert fork to eat with, it will make you have smaller mouthfuls. 

• Like 4

I always put plenty of milk on my cereal and let it sit for at least 5 minutes before I eat it.

With any foods, I've learned to always have a drink beforehand, then have one (small) mouthful, chew well and then wait a minute or so before I have more, especially later in the day ... otherwise it gets stuck.

Having a band, I'm finding, is a constant learning process.  :)

• Like 3

I've nOt had a problem with weetbix yet - I make sure the milk has soaked in first and also small teaspoons

I had Vita Brits when I went onto mushies and had no problem.

Also oats... no problem.

You just need to make sure it doesn't get to that gluggy stage - it needs to be a little milky.

Good luck :)

I don't do weetbix, but I do oats and always make them really runny, like you could almost drink them. I generally have the sachet ones and weigh out half (17 grams) and have it with the 1/2 cup milk that you should have for the whole sachet. I find that I'm the same amount of full, for the same length of time, having half to having the whole thing, so may as well only have the half and save some calories for later!

I'm on mushy as well and the dietitian told me to have warm milk with wheetbix, and make sure it's sloppy before eating. Not sure what went wrong for your but it sounds horrible! :( Hope you have better luck with other foods.

Not sure what happened as I did make it quite mushy and wet.....clearly not for me.

Despite that incident I did do well with lunch being mash avocado and cottage cheese then dinner was sloppy risotto with mash pumpkin. I do know it's going to take me some time to adjust to small bites as I'm a veteran shoverler.

• Like 2

I totally agree with the "no wetbix"...I'm just 2.5wks post op...& thought I'd try something different for brekky than a shake...& I've felt yuk ALL DAY!!....:) though SO HAPPY that I done this op...!!!!

• Like 1

pb could be peanut butter?

Not on this forum :)

• Like 2

I am only recently banded and my dietician told me to try porridge and weet bix this week. I have had both without any problems. Just make sure there is a lot of milk. My dietician told me at this stage to tell if it is the right consistency if you held the plate up if must slide off it. Hope that helps

• Like 1

Daughter in law had her lower bowel removed due to severe bowel disease.  She was told to try semolina. 

Will buy some tomorrow in preparation.

Every day is a little better.

Still not drinking enough though.