cdazzle

Woken up feeling horrible

Oh man oh man , the honeymoon is over . I was feeling good about how well I have recovered but ... Today I am in so much pain I want to vomit . I'm going to ask my partner to get me some icy poles just to suck on . He will look for sugar free ones but if there aren't any he can get the sugar ones .

Yesterday we came home but my partner got lost and we wended up taking close to 7 hours to get home . The small amount of walking that I did do . Around woolworths and the likes has left me insainly sore . I am trying to eat something so maybe then the nausea will go away . I don't have a temp but just want to vomit . I often feel like vomiting if I am in pain . I am glad to be home but am not sure how I will cope next week with a three year old on my own . Today he got stuck behind the couch and all I could keep thinking was how on earth am I going to get him next week .

I can see that emotionally this journey with sleeve is going to be hard and emotionally hard . As yesterday I brought the family maccas and all I kept thinking was I should be eating too , after all that I settled with a hot chocolate . But it's just all a part of the journey , it won't be long before I can have soft foods and the recipe book the dietician gave me has some wonderful recipes in it . Please tell me that this pain and nausea is normal or if it gets worse I will be heading back to the hospital .

Ps does anyone do lite puddings like the aero desserts or nestle low fat ones ?

You poor bugger.

You really need to take it easy.

The day after I got home I felt good and did a bit too much and paid for it. Your body is recovering, you have to rest...let it recover.

It is a hard journey emotionally because so much is changing and will continue to change. But stay positive.. It's a complete overhaul of everything you used to know and do... But it will have the most beneficial outcome.

I cannot recommend rest enough. Whilst you only have a few little wounds, inside is a lot more delicate.

Put your feet up, sleep when you can and keep taking in your fluids. It will get a little easier each day. Take paandol and/or degas tablets when you need to.

If you have any chest pain, call your surgeon straight away.

*hugs* xo

Thanks Mad:) I will call him if it gets worse . Yeah the journey is worth it . It's funny last night we pulled up next to a Chinese place and I was jealous of all of them getting their yum cha on lol . Thanks so much for the support it means the world to me . I will remember to rest

Yeah I know what you mean. I've been going through the same thing, mourning the food. Not exactly because I'm hungry, but just the taste, textures etc... But it doesn't mean we can't have bits and bobs when we're back on normal food - like yum cha lol. I have a yum cha place next to my work.. Omg I miss that stuff too.

Very true , that's why I keep telling myself that it won't be like this forever . One day I can eat that yummy food like the Coles own margarita pizza ku kids had as a snack last night , it smelt amazing . I had to get them to move so I couldn't smell it . Food is such a social thing through , it's that I have to tackle . Oh and the occasional bout of emotional eating I have been known to have. How do you cope being back at work ? With all the foods ?

I'm actually back at work Monday. I think I'll be ok... I've told my husband to continue eating normally so that I can become used to it. Like I said, I miss it, but not because I'm hungry. I just remind myself when something smells good that I can have some in a few weeks... Maybe you should keep a list of the things that you really miss and when you get there after the strict diet, work some of that back in (in moderation of course). I've thought of doing that.

All I really want is bloody lasagna or savoury mince... And chicken snitzel... Ok ok I want a lot of things lol.

It is a social thing too... I used to have lunch with a work colleague all the time, but he knows so he's been supportive. I can still go to lunch, I just change what I order and how much of it I eat.

I think the goal is to adapt, not remove things that you enjoyed doing before... Like going to lunch. You know?

Just check that it's not the pain meds that make you feel sick, i know a lot of them make me throw up or want to throw up, i have to have different ones, none that are associated with morphine!! like endone!

• Like 1

Just check that it's not the pain meds that make you feel sick, i know a lot of them make me throw up or want to throw up, i have to have different ones, none that are associated with morphine!! like endone!

Great point dondon. I've read quite a few people have had issues with pain meds causing them nausea.

• Like 1

i had quite a lot of nausea for a good week post op, i do get nausea from anaesthetics though and had fairly extreme nausea my first 24 hours, they actually ran out of drugs to give me to make it go away!  I also had quite bad reflux for about the first week post op, thankfully that has all settled now.  I made sure i got the doc to send me home from hospital with some Stemetil for nausea, which kept on top of it fairly well, and i'm on reflux meds which are now working well.  I think some of my nausea came from the fact that my stomach had nothing solid to work on, but couldn't do anything about that, being on fluids and all!

i agree, a lot of your pain is probably related to the trip home yesterday plus some shopping, and basically overdoing it a bit, though obviously if it doesn't settle either pop off to the hospital or contact your surgeon :)

• Like 1

Hi there, 

If the pain continues, or seems to get worse with time, not better, please consult your GP or surgeon. I had a sleeve operation in October last year, and 10 days after the operation was back in hospital with a rare complication of a blood clot in my portal vein leading to my liver and bowel. I had to stay in hospital for 10 days after that.

I had walked after the surgery more than most people. I wore the dorky stockings. It's just something to be aware of, because it can get really bloody serious really bloody quickly. 

And you will mourn the loss of food, but that goes away quite quickly and you find that your tastes start to change and eating the things you used to, or the amounts you used to just seems ridiculous. 

I sound like a broken record on this one, but I nearly lost my life and as a Mum to a 4 year old...well, you can imagine. 

Just - please= if the pain and discomfort seem NOT to be getting better as the days go by- see the GP. 

Take care

Miss Ruthy

• Like 1

Thanks everyone Don I think the endone could make me feel sick.

But I think I have an answer my period just came do hopefully

That is all it is. Thanks Mjss Ruthy, I am glad you are ok

I promise I will keep an eye out for any nasty things

Like pain that won't get better